Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
True, so if Bickell isn't cleared it can be:

Panik - Toews - Kane
Panarin - Anisimov - Teravainen
Schmaltz - McNeill (or FA center)
- Hossa
Desjardins - Kruger - Hartman

If Teuvo isn't centering the third line (FWIW, I don't think so), then Schmaltz is. #3 LW is the spot that's up for grabs. If Fleishmann will take another cheap deal, I think he's the guy.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Good idea. But I fear Shaw's gone as a result of Panarin's Schedule B bonus.

Shaw's gone because of Kruger's idiotic contract. And I'm done hearing about averaging it over three years. Aside from the fact that it's never done that way, he's still overpaid even if done so.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Shaw's gone because of Kruger's idiotic contract. And I'm done hearing about averaging it over three years. Aside from the fact that it's never done that way, he's still overpaid even if done so.

And Shaw will be gone because Shaw will be overpaid too. It's the product of being successful players who win cups.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
And Shaw will be gone because Shaw will be overpaid too. It's the product of being successful players who win cups.

No, it's because that's the way Stan does it. One million less per year for Kruger keeps Shaw.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
No, it's because that's the way Stan does it. One million less per year for Kruger keeps Shaw.

In your fantasy world where Kruger will sign for that 1 mil less and Shaw as well who also would have to agree to sign for the agreed price you think he will sign for.. for that to work. But Shaw also will probably make a mil more than a bunch of people are gonna complain about him being worth. On the Hawks or by whoever trades for his RFA deal.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

You're saying this guy should've left more than three million dollars (over three years) on the table to play for the Hawks?

Stan is not an idiot no matter how badly some people want to claim he is. There's no way he paid more than one million dollars/yr. over market value for Kruger. I'm sure lower level teams would've lined up to give Kruger more than a 3.1 AAV.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Why do people want Schmaltz at center over TT? I for one would love to see Schmaltz play with Toews. I actually like TT's game as the easy minutes center in Q's system.

TKK

Oct 22, 2015
I don't think Schmaltz (or Teravainen) are Q's type of centers (b/c lack of physicality in their games).

But Hawks should be all right with Toews, Anisimov, Kruger (and possibly McNeill/Rasmussen) at center position.
It's similar with RW considering Kane, Teravainen, Hossa (plus prospects like Schmaltz and Hartman) can all play it.

But on the other hand, there's a huge void at LW, with basically only Panarin there (and Motte as a prospect).

One question, is there a possibility that Schmaltz could make a successful switch to left wing?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't think Schmaltz (or Teravainen) are Q's type of centers (b/c lack of physicality in their games).

Q likes Kruger. Enough said.

If you can play a responsible two way game in the top 9 and are willing to battle as a C, Q will like you.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I still think that if a team offers a LW fit for longterm at 1st line or a top 4 defender who is young for TT that Hawks should pull trigger

He will still be best trade chip Hawks have going forward in coming years

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I still think that if a team offers a LW fit for longterm at 1st line or a top 4 defender who is young for TT that Hawks should pull trigger

I wanted TT+ for Gally at tdl, but doubt mtl moves him now. Best case vesey signs and they move TT or schmaltz to rw when hoss hits ltir.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
I'd like to see teravainen as a center to be honest, I think it's where he plays his best hockey. It remains to be seen what out lineup next year and onwards will look like, there's quite a few scenarios in which I could see him playing second line center, with Anisimov moving down. If he doesn't, I like him on the third line, making it a very dangerous bumslayer line.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Question for you since you think AA is a 3C, TT is a clear option to be a top 2C for us for the next 10 years why would we trade him? Are you admitting that AA is a 2C? I think these are fair questions.

Unless we are getting a young 2D back I would not move TT.

If anyone is traded I think it will be Seabs or Crow and let me explain my logic. For Seabs we could get a top flight prospect back from a team that needs D and leadership (the Oilers? Hall or RNH?). Say what you want about Seabs but he is a winner and brings a lot to the ice and the room. He could change the culture on a young team. Crow is more interesting because there are some quality goalies that will be available this summer that most likely will find that the money is not there that they expected, so I ask who do you take in this situation Crow @ 6AAV or Bishop @ 5AAV? I think Bishop should get more but I don't think there will be a market this summer. Also do we protect Crow in the Expansion Draft?

I like Crow a lot but these are things that need to be talked about.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The only worry the Blackhawks should have for TT is if he follows up the traditional sophomore slump with a season that realizes his full potential. Cause it would make him completely unaffordable.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Question for you since you think AA is a 3C, TT is a clear option to be a top 2C for us for the next 10 years why would we trade him? Are you admitting that AA is a 2C? I think these are fair questions.

If anyone is traded I think it will be Seabs or Crow and let me explain my logic. For Seabs we could get a top flight prospect back from a team that needs D and leadership (the Oilers? Hall or RNH?). Say what you want about Seabs but he is a winner and brings a lot to the ice and the room. He could change the culture on a young team. Crow is more interesting because there are some quality goalies that will be available this summer that most likely will find that the money is not there that they expected, so I ask who do you take in this situation Crow @ 6AAV or Bishop @ 5AAV? I think Bishop should get more but I don't think there will be a market this summer. Also do we protect Crow in the Expansion Draft?

A couple of thoughts.

TT's apprenticeship ends sometime next season, IMO. Hawks will need to make a decision whether or not he is going to be a long term employee.

As for the goaltending. IMO, it is a better option to extend Darling this summer for cheap and trade Crawford. It is one of the reasons that I wanted to keep Nilsson as our future back-up but now Blues have him, DOH. But back-up goalies are pretty plentiful these days. Hawks' cap situation isn't getting any better - I agree, these things need to be discussed.

As for Seabs: He and Keith are the glue that keeps this team together. I say keep him for the near future.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
They should only consider trading Crawford until after next season when we have a better idea of the cap situation and Darling's potential as a starter. Trading Crawford this offseason would be unnecessary and could turn into a mistake IMO.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

All indications are that NMC will protect players from the expansion draft. At least, that's what's being reported up here in Canada.

Hypothetically, if that were not the case, you protect Crawford, and you cross your fingers that somebody takes the Seabrook contract off your hands.

FinnFan8

Expert Thread-Killer
Dec 7, 2015
SF, CA
All indications are that NMC will protect players from the expansion draft. At least, that's what's being reported up here in Canada.

Hypothetically, if that were not the case, you protect Crawford, and you cross your fingers that somebody takes the Seabrook contract off your hands.

I feel like players with NMCs will be required to be protected by the team and will count against their total. Any remaining slots can be used to protect players without NMCs. If you have more NMCs than players you can protect, then maybe you get to protect more players, but I'm not sure. I think that's the only way to maintain the spirit of the draft...

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think TT had a pretty strong game last night and I also saw TT actually use his body to try and take a Blues' player off the puck. He didn't quite succeed but it was good to see. His defensive game would be elite one day if he ever gets a little more abrasive to play against.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I think TT had a pretty strong game last night and I also saw TT actually use his body to try and take a Blues' player off the puck. He didn't quite succeed but it was good to see. His defensive game would be elite one day if he ever gets a little more abrasive to play against.

+1

His defensive positioning, his stick and decision making have always been good, especially considering his age. But he's really improved lately. To the point of excellence. Strength is the only thing holding him back from being an elite defender. 15 pounds of muscle. It will come.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
I thought I remembered seeing Schmaltz play LW when we drafted him. Can he play both wings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad