Teuvo Teravainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
People need to stop asking for Seabrook, AA, or Kruger to be traded. No GM will ever trade a player immediately after they gave them a new contract. If they had any doubts, they wouldn't have given them the new contract to begin with. Seabrook even got an NMC added to the last year of his old contract (!).

Despite what you think of their performance, these three are not going anywhere for a few years.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1267807/
Stan moved Paliotta right after signing him too

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Why is Shaw's talent always underrated? It is not obvious Hartman has more talent, Shaw has proven it at the highest level. Hartman has proven nothing and is not the same kind of player. Is Hartman fearless in front of the net, always standing up for teammates, always physical, has an ability to score huge goals in the playoffs? Shaw is not just a "grit' player. He is a grit player will skill and huge guts. No one on this roster has the willingness to do what he does. Would like to see Shaw still here with Hartman up as well. Kruger is a nice player but to me is much more replaceable, especially on this roster. No goals all season? So he is a good defender and decent faceoff guy. That sounds replaceable. Shaw has talent and intangibles.

Jusr read somewhere if Bickell is bought out it saves us 3 mil to next years cap but has a 1.5 mil hit for the following year. Is this correct? If this allows us to sign Shaw to a deal I would rather see him stay and take on the 1.5 mil hit the next year.

Might get eaten alive for this and I would not want to see him go, but is it a consideration to trade Crawford and get a goalie in at half his salary? I love Crow and yes he is vital to our success but just wondering if there is someone out there at a lower salary who could come close to replacing him, maybe and up and comer who could surprise and get to Crow's level. Crow is moveable without dumping young prospects or taking garbage back. No I wouldn't want to lose him but you have to shed cap and weigh how its best to do so without having half your roster made up of rookies or washed up minimum salary vets.

How is this happening when people are talking about him getting $3.5-4 million in his next contract?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Why is Shaw's talent always underrated? It is not obvious Hartman has more talent, Shaw has proven it at the highest level. Hartman has proven nothing and is not the same kind of player. Is Hartman fearless in front of the net, always standing up for teammates, always physical, has an ability to score huge goals in the playoffs? Shaw is not just a "grit' player. He is a grit player will skill and huge guts. No one on this roster has the willingness to do what he does. Would like to see Shaw still here with Hartman up as well. Kruger is a nice player but to me is much more replaceable, especially on this roster. No goals all season? So he is a good defender and decent faceoff guy. That sounds replaceable. Shaw has talent and intangibles.

Jusr read somewhere if Bickell is bought out it saves us 3 mil to next years cap but has a 1.5 mil hit for the following year. Is this correct? If this allows us to sign Shaw to a deal I would rather see him stay and take on the 1.5 mil hit the next year.

Might get eaten alive for this and I would not want to see him go, but is it a consideration to trade Crawford and get a goalie in at half his salary? I love Crow and yes he is vital to our success but just wondering if there is someone out there at a lower salary who could come close to replacing him, maybe and up and comer who could surprise and get to Crow's level. Crow is moveable without dumping young prospects or taking garbage back. No I wouldn't want to lose him but you have to shed cap and weigh how its best to do so without having half your roster made up of rookies or washed up minimum salary vets.

Crawford is the number 1 reason the Blachawks even made the playoffs.

Even if he didn't have a full no move clause, considering the defensive questions this team has, there is no way you move Crawford.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Crawford is the number 1 reason the Blachawks even made the playoffs.

Even if he didn't have a full no move clause, considering the defensive questions this team has, there is no way you move Crawford.

I get all that. Just looking at potentially moveable parts that wouldn't require us to retain salary, take garbage contracts back, or have to include draft pciks or young assets. If you look at the players who fit that catergory (not many) Crawrord fits that criteria. It won't happen, just thinking out loud that's all.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Because some are calling him a grit player who is easily replaced. Desjardins in an easy to replace grit player. Shaw is a grit player with skill.

It is pretty strange. It's almost like some people aren't even watching the games. Wanting Kruger over Shaw is understandable, but there's more to Shaw than just grit. If he goes, he will be missed.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Interview with Powers: https://theathletic.com/2016/05/23/teuvo-teravainen-helsinki-finland/

A few Teravainen quotes from the article:

“I want to be more productive,” Teravainen said. “I don’t know if it’s confidence, a lot of little things. I have to find a way to score. It’s tough scoring in the NHL. There’s not a lot of space and time. So I have to find that little extra time and maybe add more strength and quickness to my body. I don’t know. I think it’s there. I just have to find it.

“I think it’s a good thing to have a great long summer now,” Teravainen said. “I have a lot of time to build my body for the next level. So I have guys to work with. It’s going to be a nice summer. I think a lot of work. At the same time, I don’t want to think too much work, work, work. I need to back off a little bit, take some rest too, have my mind take some rest too because the season is long and it’s hard to play almost every night. Now I can golf a little bit, I can take some rest and have some fun, too. I have to take care of my body, too.”

“I want to get forward. I want to get better. I don’t want to be a decent player. I want to be a good player or a star player, but it takes little steps. The next step is the next year. I want to have a good year.”

BHFan

Aug 9, 2015
Now we're going to hear the "but he's still so young" excuse. I'm tired of that excuse. If you want to break into the NHL and be a star, you have to be self-motivated and confident in your skills and have some sort of ego. He's a nice guy, but he just so bland. There's no fire in his belly. He's afraid to make mistakes so he never takes risks. He needs to check into camp with an added 20 lbs of solid muscle on his frame. There's a summer goal for you Teuvo. Then we'll see what happens.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I like the fact that he kinda called himself out a bit.

Watching him all year, I felt that confidence (and an apparent lack of low hanging fruit) played a big role in his performance (or lack thereof) this year. Not to mention his size has been an issue (kid can get knocked over by a small gust of wind).

So hopefully he backs up his talk and comes back as a guy who can at times take over a game by himself.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Sounds like the most indecisive guy on the planet. No wonder he plays the way he does. He spends too much time thinking about what he needs to do instead of doing what he needs to do.

WOW! Unless something gets lost in the translation, TT sure seems like an unmotivated immature guy.:cry:

Now we're going to hear the "but he's still so young" excuse. I'm tired of that excuse. If you want to break into the NHL and be a star, you have to be self-motivated and confident in your skills and have some sort of ego. He's a nice guy, but he just so bland. There's no fire in his belly. He's afraid to make mistakes so he never takes risks. He needs to check into camp with an added 20 lbs of solid muscle on his frame. There's a summer goal for you Teuvo. Then we'll see what happens.

How can you read that article then post this?

He calls himself out. Identifies what he needs to fix and then goes over what he is doing to to accomplish what he identified.

Nothing from the article implies that he is immature or indecisive. Try re-reading the article or actually reading it this time.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Love that he knows what he needs to work on. Hopefully the organization leaves this kid at one position next season. (Preferably riding shotgun on Toews right wing)

BHFan

Aug 9, 2015
“I want to be more productive,” Teravainen said. “I don’t know if it’s confidence, a lot of little things. I have to find a way to score. It’s tough scoring in the NHL. There’s not a lot of space and time. So I have to find that little extra time and maybe add more strength and quickness to my body. I don’t know. I think it’s there. I just have to find it.

Of course I read it. I want to be more productive. I don't know why I'm not. Is it confidence. No, it's a lot of little things. I have to score. But here's an excuse. It's tough scoring in the NHL. There's not a lot of space and time (now there's an original excuse for a pro level guy). So I have to find that space and time because up until now, I haven't been able to figure that out. Maybe (MAYBE?????) I need to be stronger. Or quicker. I can't figure out which. I don't know. I THINK it's there. I just have to find it. Find WHAT? Strength? Time? Space? How long is it going to take for you to find it??? What ever it is?

This does not fill me with confidence that this guy is ever going to play a big role with the Hawks. He should be a star. But I honestly don't think he's ever going to reach his potential. Never mind the talk about working out over the summer and yet not working too hard and having fun but not too much fun.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
“I want to be more productive,†Teravainen said. “I don’t know if it’s confidence, a lot of little things. I have to find a way to score. It’s tough scoring in the NHL. There’s not a lot of space and time. So I have to find that little extra time and maybe add more strength and quickness to my body. I don’t know. I think it’s there. I just have to find it.

Of course I read it. I want to be more productive. I don't know why I'm not. Is it confidence. No, it's a lot of little things. I have to score. But here's an excuse. It's tough scoring in the NHL. There's not a lot of space and time (now there's an original excuse for a pro level guy). So I have to find that space and time because up until now, I haven't been able to figure that out. Maybe (MAYBE?????) I need to be stronger. Or quicker. I can't figure out which. I don't know. I THINK it's there. I just have to find it. Find WHAT? Strength? Time? Space? How long is it going to take for you to find it??? What ever it is?

This does not fill me with confidence that this guy is ever going to play a big role with the Hawks. He should be a star. But I honestly don't think he's ever going to reach his potential. Never mind the talk about working out over the summer and yet not working too hard and having fun but not too much fun.

Again he calls himself out. Identifies what he needs to fix and then goes over what he is doing to to accomplish what he identified. His three biggest needs are confidence, strength, and quickness. Guess what that is what he identified. You are reacting to a "maybe" from a kid speaking his non native tongue? Hilarious and a huge reach.

I would be worried if he said something along the lines of "taking it easy this summer and next year I am going to play my game and hope it works".

“I want to get forward. I want to get better. I don’t want to be a decent player. I want to be a good player or a star player, but it takes little steps. The next step is the next year. I want to have a good year.†Seems like he is pretty focused to me.

BHFan

Aug 9, 2015
Again he calls himself out. Identifies what he needs to fix and then goes over what he is doing to to accomplish what he identified. His three biggest needs are confidence, strength, and quickness. Guess what that is what he identified. You are reacting to a "maybe" from a kid speaking his non native tongue? Hilarious and a huge reach.

I would be worried if he said something along the lines of "taking it easy this summer and next year I am going to play my game and hope it works".

“I want to get forward. I want to get better. I don’t want to be a decent player. I want to be a good player or a star player, but it takes little steps. The next step is the next year. I want to have a good year.†Seems like he is pretty focused to me.

I hope you're right. I wish he had more presence on the ice. We see so much from some of the other rookie stars, guys who are younger than Teuvo. I think part of it is his personality. He doesn't ooze self confidence. But with his potential, he should be an up and coming star. I'm just not sure it's ever going to happen. You see flashes of brilliance and then nothing. So frustrating.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
People getting good worked up on a guy which English is his second language saying "maybe". :laugh: That's the traditional "I guess" or "not too much" with foreign hockey players speak.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Or you know people watched him disappoint all season and turn in a dreadful performance in playoffs and expect more from him

This will be make or break year for him ,, If he doesn't take next step the Hawks should move on

And if a good offer comes there way involving him this summer they should certainly not hesitate to take it

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
People getting good worked up on a guy which English is his second language saying "maybe". :laugh: That's the traditional "I guess" or "not too much" with foreign hockey players speak.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Everyone here should know that Teuvo isn't the best at interviews. English isn't his native language and he realizes that he has a bit of an accent as well.

He even stated that interviews was the least liked thing he had to do during the 14-15 season.

Is it too much just to be happy with the fact that he acknowledges that he should be better? Why nitpick every little detail of an interview he gave out of his own free will (surrendering his time in Finland to take an interview with Scott Powers).

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Or you know people watched him disappoint all season and turn in a dreadful performance in playoffs and expect more from him

This will be make or break year for him ,, If he doesn't take next step the Hawks should move on

And if a good offer comes there way involving him this summer they should certainly not hesitate to take it

I was dissapointed with a lot of players this year. But I'll cut a guy a little more slack when he owns up to his mistakes.

But I agree with the rest of your post. If we can acquire a good LW for him, I'm more than fine by that. And I won't be heart broken if he isn't here past this season.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
TT, is right. He had a bad year.

Last time I checked, when someone under performs and calls themselves out on it and promises to work on improvements, it is consider an ideal quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino