Teuvo Teravainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
So back to my original post, I'm not necessarily wrong for wanting to see Teravainen on Toews's RW next year, and for years going forward. If that happens, the Hawks will need a real bast*** to play LW and dig out pucks.
Teravainen constantly setting up Toews to score could become a real beautiful thing.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
He 100% does need to be good. He has been one of our stronger players in the second half and the past few weeks he has been more aggressive. I also don't think it is a coincidence that our PP has looked much better since he was moved to the slot position with the Kane unit.

He has to be will to grind come playoff time and I think he is based on last years playoffs and his play of late.

Agreed. I'm not worried about TT going in to the playoffs. He's been pretty darn good since the trade deadline, when he finally got some good linemates... what a shocker!

Last edited by a moderator:

TeddyGoalsevelt

Duke of Earl
Jun 6, 2015
The Region
I'd move Kane up to the first line. I'd move Teuvo to the second line. I'd move Hossa to the third, for the ultimate bum-slaying line -- especially if Motte signs.

??? Toews Kane
Panarin Anisimov Teravainen
??? ??? Hossa
Desjardins Kruger Hartman

[Schmaltz, Motte, Shaw, McNeill]

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I'd move Kane up to the first line. I'd move Teuvo to the second line. I'd move Hossa to the third, for the ultimate bum-slaying line -- especially if Motte signs.

??? Toews Kane
Panarin Anisimov Teravainen
??? ??? Hossa
Desjardins Kruger Hartman

[Schmaltz, Motte, Shaw, McNeill]

My thinking was pretty similar. With Saad not being here and Hossa in a decline there doesnt seem to be the same personnel in place to warrant keeping Toews and Kane apart next season. They have obvious chemistry and I really like the idea of 72 and 86 together. TT is a hell of a passer and Panarin has a hell of a shot/one-t. They could be a pretty deadly combo themselves going up against weaker competition.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
My thinking was pretty similar. With Saad not being here and Hossa in a decline there doesnt seem to be the same personnel in place to warrant keeping Toews and Kane apart next season. They have obvious chemistry and I really like the idea of 72 and 86 together. TT is a hell of a passer and Panarin has a hell of a shot/one-t. They could be a pretty deadly combo themselves going up against weaker competition.

So then it would be Kane-Panarin chemistry vs Kane-Towes chemistry. Which one has the potential to be more deadly?

Teravainen will be either the first or second line RWer, I like that.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
So then it would be Kane-Panarin chemistry vs Kane-Towes chemistry. Which one has the potential to be more deadly?

Teravainen will be either the first or second line RWer, I like that.

I think T/K could be every bit as deadly as Panarin/Kane. Kane always seems to bring out the best in Toews when they play together. Toews is also elite in the circle/dzone and normally posts some pretty great possession numbers. That's going to get the puck on 88's stick a lot more. With how he's been playing this year, that is going to pay dividends. Plus i think 72 and 86 would work really well.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I think T/K could be every bit as deadly as Panarin/Kane. Kane always seems to bring out the best in Toews when they play together. Toews is also elite in the circle/dzone and normally posts some pretty great possession numbers. That's going to get the puck on 88's stick a lot more. With how he's been playing this year, that is going to pay dividends. Plus i think 72 and 86 would work really well.

Plus just about anybody can be successful on the LW of a T/K pair. They wouldn't need to go out and spend much to get someone who could work there. An ELC guy would probably work fine.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Especially if that ELC guy happens to be named Nick Schmaltz...

he doesn't score enough remember..:laugh:

I prefer Jimmy Vesey to be our #1 LW, but have to go with what we know and Motte would fit in very nicely there. if Shaw can do it, Motte can easily adjust and be a decent contributor. he isn't an 18 year old kid who is going to buckle, Motte plays the game with grit and edge and can score. he would be my first choice.

put Schmaltz on the third line with Hossa and Shaw. let him have those two vets on his wings while he learns the game.

Motte - Toews - Kane
Panarin - Anisimov - Teravainen
Shaw - Schmaltz - Hossa
Desjardins - Kruger - Hartman

This would be solid from the get go and another well balanced attack that teams will have to deal with.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Now are just deflecting but I will list a few elite players that were bad coaches.

Gretzky, Trottier, Bob Gainey, Savard, and Phil Espisito for hockey players.

Other sports - Ted Williams, Isiah Thomas, Kevin McHale, Elgin Baylor, Diego Maradona, Magic Johnson, Pete Rose, etc.

Need more?

Duh, you forgot the most obvious - MIKE DITKA.

Hall of Fame player and one of the best ever at his position. Arguably the most overrated coach in NFL history. That was Buddy's D. Bill Walsh, Schula, Vermeil or Levy would have won 2-3 SBs with that roster. Instead, Ditka gave us Doug Flutie.

Patrick Roy appears to be a meh coach.

But as far as some good ones, Don Mattingly comes to mind. Ozzie Guillen was a perennial All Star and won a WS both as an assistant and as a HC. His attitude/personality was more of his demise than his coaching.

I wouldn't call Doc Rivers an 'elite' player but very good and he's been a good coach in the NBA.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Duh, you forgot the most obvious - MIKE DITKA.

Hall of Fame player and one of the best ever at his position. Arguably the most overrated coach in NFL history. That was Buddy's D. Bill Walsh, Schula, Vermeil or Levy would have won 2-3 SBs with that roster. Instead, Ditka gave us Doug Flutie.

Patrick Roy appears to be a meh coach.

But as far as some good ones, Don Mattingly comes to mind. Ozzie Guillen was a perennial All Star and won a WS both as an assistant and as a HC. His attitude/personality was more of his demise than his coaching.

I wouldn't call Doc Rivers an 'elite' player but very good and he's been a good coach in the NBA.

You don't think I left him off on purpose. I could not bring myself to put him on the list.

Mattingly and Ozzie were good players but do you think they were elite? I think you can argue both ways but I would say no. Doc is similar but not elite to me.

Roy has not impressed me the past two seasons.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
You don't think I left him off on purpose. I could not bring myself to put him on the list.

Mattingly and Ozzie were good players but do you think they were elite? I think you can argue both ways but I would say no. Doc is similar but not elite to me.

Roy has not impressed me the past two seasons.

Ozzie Guillen was nowhere close to elite. Wasn't even that good.

Mattingly was elite when healthy, but his back problems shortened his career. Great player.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Ozzie Guillen was nowhere close to elite. Wasn't even that good.

Mattingly was elite when healthy, but his back problems shortened his career. Great player.

I'll disagree with the bolded. He wasn't elite, but there's no way you can say he wasn't even good. Three time all-star. Rookie of the year, and golden glove winning shortstop. Among shortstops, he was pretty damn good. Look at the typical SS's numbers, and he was right among all the good ones of today, even.

Mattingly did have a fairly long career, though, if my memory serves me, but yeah, definitely a great player.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
I'll disagree with the bolded. He wasn't elite, but there's no way you can say he wasn't even good. Three time all-star. Rookie of the year, and golden glove winning shortstop. Among shortstops, he was pretty damn good. Look at the typical SS's numbers, and he was right among all the good ones of today, even.

No. Guillen had a .287 lifetime obp, and 28 homeruns in 16 seasons. After the first few years he didn't even steal any bases. One gold glove, let's not get carried away. And he never finished above 17th in mvp voting, which he managed once. He is not even close to the best shortstops of any era. He's closer to flat out sucking than he is to being elite.

Mattingly did have a fairly long career, though, if my memory serves me, but yeah, definitely a great player.

His first full year was '84, and he was never the same after he his back problems started in '89. But during those years he was outstanding.

Won an mvp, and came in 2nd another year. Nine gold gloves.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
No. Guillen had a .287 lifetime obp, and 28 homeruns in 16 seasons. After the first few years he didn't even steal any bases. One gold glove, let's not get carried away. And he never finished above 17th in mvp voting, which he managed once. He is not even close to the best shortstops of any era. He's closer to flat out sucking than he is to being elite.

His first full year was '84, and he was never the same after he his back problems started in '89. But during those years he was outstanding.

Never said he was elite. Not once. Never said he was among the "best" of any era either, man. I said he was good, as far as shortstops go, which is true. Take a peek at typical shortstop numbers. NONE of their stats will jump off the page at you...

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Never said he was elite. Not once. Never said he was among the "best" of any era either, man. I said he was good, as far as shortstops go, which is true. Take a peek at typical shortstop numbers. NONE of their stats will jump off the page at you...

I inferred that you were supporting bk lounge's argument, which was that a case could be made for calling Guillen elite.

A few shortstops of Guillen's era - Cal Ripken, Allen Trammell, Robin Yount. Guillen was not good, even for a bad hitting shortstop.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I inferred that you were supporting bk lounge's argument, which was that a case could be made for calling Guillen elite.

A few shortstops of Guillen's era - Cal Ripken, Allen Trammell, Robin Yount. Guillen was not good, even for a bad hitting shortstop.

Nope. Just think he was pretty good, as far as typical shortstops go, and 110% not elite.

But RTR is probably correct, in that the coaching discussion should have its own thread. Back to TT.

Would be nice to have TT pot one or two tonight. Give him a nice confidence boost heading into the PO's.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Yeah I was wrong about Ozzie. He was worse than I thought.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
he doesn't score enough remember..:laugh:

I prefer Jimmy Vesey to be our #1 LW, but have to go with what we know and Motte would fit in very nicely there. if Shaw can do it, Motte can easily adjust and be a decent contributor. he isn't an 18 year old kid who is going to buckle, Motte plays the game with grit and edge and can score. he would be my first choice.

put Schmaltz on the third line with Hossa and Shaw. let him have those two vets on his wings while he learns the game.

Motte - Toews - Kane
Shaw - Schmaltz - Hossa

This would be solid from the get go and another well balanced attack that teams will have to deal with.

I like the lineup, but I'm not ready to pencil in any college player until they sign. Really starting to sour on them in general. I think the UFA route some have gone will be greatly exploited until the next CBA closes it.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I like the lineup, but I'm not ready to pencil in any college player until they sign. Really starting to sour on them in general. I think the UFA route some have gone will be greatly exploited until the next CBA closes it.

How about slotting Panik there unless a rookie steals the spot?

So

Panik - Toews - Kane
Shaw - Schmaltz - Hossa

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Watching TT play can be so frustrating. The talent is obvious but he seldom carries the puck more than a few feet unless Hawks have the man advantage. The rest of the time he treats it like a hot potato, making ill advised passes that too often result in turning the puck over. He could take a page out of Kane's book by being more patient with the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad