Confirmed with Link: Teravainen and Bickell to Canes

Hockeywatching

May 9, 2015
Anything I should know before I officially hop on the Cane bandwagon on HF? I actually think they could be a playoff team next year if they get half decent goaltending (.910) for more than half the season) and get a forward or two in free agency/trade.

Plenty of us are Preds bandwagoners, too. I'm originally a West Tennesseean (I had never heard of the Preds until I moved to Raleigh funny enough). Playoffs at Bridgestone was a great experience; make sure to come to PNC soon.

Franklin is a wonderful town, btw. Oh and GBO.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I object to this sexist assumption.

Yeah but on the other hand I avoided assuming you're a female just because you have a flower for username so maybe it wasn't a sexist assumption at all but merely a scouting error.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
This is one of my favorite things we do.

My goal is to pimp the terrible trade so hard that the OP starts feeling like he ripped himself off.

Not Hurricanes related, but imagine if there was ever a "Ryder + Halak + 2nd" for "Dubinsky + Rozsival + 3rd" thread on that board.

Sign of the apocalypse for sure.

Bearr

Dec 31, 2015
This thread is more about food than it is about Teuvo. :D

Love it.

To give my opinion: TT will be a good 2nd liner, better off as RW.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
To give my opinion: TT will be a good 2nd liner, better off as RW.

We're 3 2nd-lines and a defensive 4th...so that means he can play anywhere in the top-9. Personally, I'd like to see him with Skinner and Rask at least at first, to see what he can do when given the best opportunities.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
We're 3 2nd-lines and a defensive 4th...so that means he can play anywhere in the top-9. Personally, I'd like to see him with Skinner and Rask at least at first, to see what he can do when given the best opportunities.

I think GMRF has one more move and that's to pick up a 40 - 50 point RW. That may end up being a Teddy Purcell, a David Perron, a Lee Stempniak, or a Mikkel Boedker (long shot). There are also 2nd and 3rd tier guys like Jamie McGinn or Jiri Hudler. I think Ronnie knows that there has to be "more" left to do. There's not been a lot of talk about Tampa and their potential challenges recently. I'd be curious to see if any of those names start to resurface on the trade market.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Novacane should draw us all paint avatars again

I would but two things: it could just as easily be unfunny the second time and there's been so much turnover to make it worth it however we haven't really entrenched any narratives for me to work off of. It'd end up looking more like ****** ms paint than caricatured ****** ms paint. I'm willing I guess but there's no surprise factor or ways for me to go.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
I would but two things: it could just as easily be unfunny the second time and there's been so much turnover to make it worth it however we haven't really entrenched any narratives for me to work off of. It'd end up looking more like ****** ms paint than caricatured ****** ms paint. I'm willing I guess but there's no surprise factor or ways for me to go.

I want one with Rask!

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Teuvo's training/work ethic has been questioned in Chicago.

Hawks wanted Teuvo to train in Chicago during summer. Teuvo went to Finland.

Some of the star players also questioned his working/training there.

He is still young but maybe it's time for him to start training like a NHL pro. He needs strength.

Mikael Granlund after his rookie season in NHL: Hired training experts and trained hard whole summer in Finland to get strength=

mikael_granlund_rengas.jpg

Would like to see TT doing the same ^^

Not saying that he just plays golf here during the summer (pic from last week), but if you only just do the normal training, it's probably not enough.

jokerit_golf_74.jpg

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Funny how no one in Chicago was questioning this kid's work ethic when he was still a Blackhawk...

I don't know if that's true. I remember reading somewhere back where it said Timonen made some comments about him having to put in more work. Doesn't mean his "work ethic" is bad, it might just be that young guys, that in the past have gotten by on Skill alone need to learn how to be successful pros, which means better offseason training. Lindholm might fall into the same category.

Not everyone comes out of the gate as an 18 year old putting in the work like Skinner did.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I looked at Timmonen's quotes again and to me it read more like "he's still young and has to learn how the pros prepare" than "he's unwilling to do that". Some of these articles have quotes from Coach Q as well that are along the lines of "he needs to find more consistency" which again isn't really saying he needs to work harder. To me these articles sound like sour grapes justification of a trade. Just my two cents though, obviously I am no expert on the Blackhawks or their inner workings.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The questions about his workouts in the summer were there last season. It's not sour grapes. It wasn't blown up that bad I think because this was his first full season wasn't it? I think they were disappointed with him coming out of last years camp. He had a disappointing season for them guys, and the playoffs weren't very good at all. There were reasons he was available to us. He's about to need a new contract and they made a call he was a player they could live without. Q likely also played a big role as he wasn't a big supporter of the kid it seemed. Q sometimes just doesn't like certain players. Daley comes to mind as a guy he was wrong about so it's hardly the end of the world. We didn't pry TT away. They were offering him.

He's a notable improvement to what we had before, on paper for sure. They're a cup team so they are always looking for cup players and in this case Shaw made more sense than TT. We get to develop him now and see what he's really got, but they for sure had questions about the kid. I don't think he's lazy, I think he likes being home. He probably just doesn't get it yet, the level the other guys are willing to go to. We'll see at camp. He's a slight guy, he needs to either bulk up or be quicker and faster than everyone.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Coach Marjamäki will take him to grocery shopping prior the World Cup, It'll be alright.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I looked at Timmonen's quotes again and to me it read more like "he's still young and has to learn how the pros prepare" than "he's unwilling to do that". Some of these articles have quotes from Coach Q as well that are along the lines of "he needs to find more consistency" which again isn't really saying he needs to work harder. To me these articles sound like sour grapes justification of a trade. Just my two cents though, obviously I am no expert on the Blackhawks or their inner workings.

Agree. It sounds like people are reaching to justify the trade. Too much is being made of it.

And I'm not saying there's nothing to do, but if he was still in Chicago you wouldn't see words like "lazy" being thrown around, he'd just be another young player with tons of potential who hasn't quite gotten the hang of being a pro yet.

And the whole "we wanted him to stay in Chicago in the offseason" thing is BS. You can't expect him to not want to go home when he gets a chance.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
There's no doubt in my mind that he needs a dose of Brind'Amour, but I am also not worried about that being prohibitive to his impact as a player long term. He may not come out of the gate on fire due to a lack of off-season conditioning, but that shouldn't preclude him from making the adjustment during the next offseason and in the future. And maybe that will keep the pricetag of his next contract lower. :)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
TT should be a good 2nd line RW for years to come ,, I think it would be best to end the C experiment because he just isn't physically capable of playing the role defensively at this stage

He struggled at LW which hurt Hawks because after trading Saad , Sharp and Versteeg they were hopeful that TT moving to LW would work out

It didn't obviously and he slid up and down lineup often and flipped around at all 3 forward positions

The questions about his workouts in the summer were there last season. It's not sour grapes. It wasn't blown up that bad I think because this was his first full season wasn't it? I think they were disappointed with him coming out of last years camp. He had a disappointing season for them guys, and the playoffs weren't very good at all. There were reasons he was available to us. He's about to need a new contract and they made a call he was a player they could live without. Q likely also played a big role as he wasn't a big supporter of the kid it seemed. Q sometimes just doesn't like certain players. Daley comes to mind as a guy he was wrong about so it's hardly the end of the world. We didn't pry TT away. They were offering him.

He's a notable improvement to what we had before, on paper for sure. They're a cup team so they are always looking for cup players and in this case Shaw made more sense than TT. We get to develop him now and see what he's really got, but they for sure had questions about the kid. I don't think he's lazy, I think he likes being home. He probably just doesn't get it yet, the level the other guys are willing to go to. We'll see at camp. He's a slight guy, he needs to either bulk up or be quicker and faster than everyone.

Yes the questions were there and Hawks told him he needed to improve in those aspects ,, It wasn't made a big issue because of how good he finished 2015 playoffs in finals. But this past year time and again he struggled with physicality of game. He needs to bulk up

As for the Q not liking him ,, That is actually false he seemed to like kid's effort on defensive end and gave him far more rope then many similar young players when he made mistakes

Reality came down to him being redundant in skillset with Panarin + Kane on team and being unable to cut it at LW he didn't have spot in Hawks top 6 so he was relegated to 3rd line role

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
It also sounds like they moved him around quite a bit from line to line and playing in a lot of different situations. I rewatched both Hawks-Canes game from this season trying to get a feel for the kid and he's all over the place. PK, playing the point on the PP, forward on the PP, playing all over the lines. Seemed like he was the mix-and-match guy. Maybe streamlining his role will be good for him, at the least we probably don't need him doing PK and we can keep him on a scoring line most all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad