Team USA Roster announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
well, i appreciate the concern(and i'm sure i speak for the other americans on the board) but i'm not too worried about it. in terms of relativity, team USA fielded a MUCH weaker roster compared to their opponents at the world championships, and still managed to beat slovakia for the bronze. putting players like modano, roenick, hull, tkachuk...and even tony amonte, who has a history of stepping it up bigtime for international competion...combined with great two way players(the ones you're scoffing at) and i think this team will be better than you realize. the only question mark is in goal, but esche has had, on the whole, a very impressive season...and dipietro is a worldclass talent.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
nomorekids said:
well, i appreciate the concern(and i'm sure i speak for the other americans on the board) but i'm not too worried about it. in terms of relativity, team USA fielded a MUCH weaker roster compared to their opponents at the world championships, and still managed to beat slovakia for the bronze. putting players like modano, roenick, hull, tkachuk...and even tony amonte, who has a history of stepping it up bigtime for international competion...combined with great two way players(the ones you're scoffing at) and i think this team will be better than you realize. the only question mark is in goal, but esche has had, on the whole, a very impressive season...and dipietro is a worldclass talent.

You are right this team is capable of playing great...I guess only time will tell ;) should be fun :)

As for in goal, I would personally go with the Rick, but I would guess RW will give his goalies a chance to play off for #1 in the ex. games.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Tuggy said:
:amazed: Wow....

I knew the US would be a weak team this World Cup but....they are going to have a tough time not finishing last.

Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about. Frankly, I could care less what anyone else thinks here. I think this is a great TEAM, and as long as the goaltending holds up will be right there in the end challenging for the championship. Sure it's a veteran team, but we're not talking about a season long series, it's a two week event with all of the players being well rested. These are ELITE athletes folks, not weekend warriors. This team has a lot of speed and several good two-way players. The defense will be great at the transition game, and there shouldn't be a shortage of goals. I don't see what the big deal is. I'm just eager to get the tournament underway.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Rob said:
After his performance at the World Championships I would have to say that Ty Conklin is favored to start in net.

I don't think that's the case at all. I'm more inclined to give the nod to Esche based on the season he's had, especially if he can get the Flyers to the Finals. At the very least there will be a competition for the job in camp and in some of the early games.

Team Dandenault

Sep 11, 2003
Visit site
I'm sorry but this team is going have a lot of trouble dealing with the other teams in it's group: Canada, Russia and Slovakia.

Not if they thug it out. :dunno:

God knows that Pavel Datsyuk will lie down like a Detroit whore on then first night of consent. And the Slovaks... :shakehead

If Team USA plans on winning they must thoroughly punish their opponents.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Rabid Ranger said:
Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about. Frankly, I could care less what anyone else thinks here.

I appreicate that comment :)

Do you think the American team is better then the Candian team? Do you think the American team is better then the Swedish team? Do you think the American team is better then the Czech team? If you answered yes to any of those questions, then its YOU that has no idea what they are talking about.

I'm all for homerism/patriotism whatever you want to call it but come on be honest with me...do you think this team can medal?

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Frankly, I could care less what anyone else thinks here

Right, that is why you jump on anyone who says anything about the american team.

I am not anti american whatsoever but this is a horrible team compared to what they could have had.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Tuggy said:
I appreicate that comment :)

Do you think the American team is better then the Candian team? Do you think the American team is better then the Swedish team? Do you think the American team is better then the Czech team? If you answered yes to any of those questions, then its YOU that has no idea what they are talking about.

I'm all for homerism/patriotism whatever you want to call it but come on be honest with me...do you think this team can medal?

No, I don't think the U.S. team is better than the Canadian team. I do think it's at the very least comparable to the other top teams in the tournament. I could give you a million reasons why I feel that way and they would all be valid. As an example, I don't get the fascination with Sweden. Great offense, but very suspect defense and even more suspect goaltending. I mean come on, Tommy Salo?!?!?! The Czech Republic? Again, nice offense, questionable defense. Team seems to be set in goal with Vokoun, but who knows? Finland? Overall not very good. Slovakia? Weak defense, and weaker goaltender? Russia? Who knows who is going to be on the team. Could be good, could be very average. Germany? Yeah right. At the very worst I think the U.S. has the 4th best roster in this tournament. At best, I think it has a TEAM that could win it all. Yeah it's a veteran team, but it's not ancient. The average age, although that can be misleading is about 30.53, with only a couple players that are really up there, like Hull and Chelios. This team will be fine.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Chelios said:
Right, that is why you jump on anyone who says anything about the american team.

I am not anti american whatsoever but this is a horrible team compared to what they could have had.

Really? Who could have been on the team that would have made that much of a differance? I don't mind constructive criticism, but much of the talk here is worthless. Just empty potshots with no reason behind it. By the way, nice handle and avatar..... :shakehead

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Rabid Ranger said:

I don't doubt their ability because they do have good players. I just think that some of the depth guys are fringe players. As you said it is only a 2 week tournment and anything can happen, but I know where my money would be ;) No matter what happens its going to be one hell of a hockey tournment :banana:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Tuggy said:
I don't doubt their ability because they do have good players. I just think that some of the depth guys are fringe players. As you said it is only a 2 week tournment and anything can happen, but I know where my money would be ;) No matter what happens its going to be one hell of a hockey tournment :banana:

Who is a fringe player? Jeff Halpern? I think we're getting too locked into the individual player and not what their contribution to the team will be. Yeah, Scott Gomez and Mike York are better all-around players than Jeff Halpern or Bryan Smolinski, but the U.S. management team clearly felt that in the best interest of the team concept they were going to go with guys that fit a particular role. Just like Maltby and Draper on Team Canada. The U.S. has plenty of scoring punch, it also has several good two-way players, and PK experts. This is a good TEAM. That's the bottom line.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
I have a feeling the US is in some trouble here. i can't see them beating either Canada or Russia

US hockey is in a weird spot here. All of the current stars are getting old and are past there prime, while all the young guys coming up (the kids who just won the junior chamionships) are not going to be ready for another3, 4 maybe 5 years.

I hope I am wrong, but I think US hockey is going to be playing for bronze medals for the next couple years.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Who is a fringe player? Jeff Halpern? I think we're getting too locked into the individual player and not what their contribution to the team will be. Yeah, Scott Gomez and Mike York are better all-around players than Jeff Halpern or Bryan Smolinski, but the U.S. management team clearly felt that in the best interest of the team concept they were going to go with guys that fit a particular role. Just like Maltby and Draper on Team Canada. The U.S. has plenty of scoring punch, it also has several good two-way players, and PK experts. This is a good TEAM. That's the bottom line.

I agree.

I think US management knows that even with Gomez and York the US team isn't going to be able to outscore teams like Russia and Canada.

I think that is why they brought in guys like Halpern and Smolinski to help slow down other teams and keep these games close.

If the US wants to win this thing they are going to have to play a defensive system and hope the stars they have come up with some big goals at big times.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Japser17 said:
I have a feeling the US is in some trouble here. i can't see them beating either Canada or Russia

US hockey is in a weird spot here. All of the current stars are getting old and are past there prime, while all the young guys coming up (the kids who just won the junior chamionships) are not going to be ready for another3, 4 maybe 5 years.

I hope I am wrong, but I think US hockey is going to be playing for bronze medals for the next couple years.

Since when is early to mid thirties old? Most of these guys are in their prime. I'll admit that the U.S. doesn't have alot of "stars" in the 24-28 range, but there are some, and the guys in the next stage after that are dynamite. The U.S. will be fine.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Japser17 said:
I agree.

I think US management knows that even with Gomez and York the US team isn't going to be able to outscore teams like Russia and Canada.

I think that is why they brought in guys like Halpern and Smolinski to help slow down other teams and keep these games close.

If the US wants to win this thing they are going to have to play a defensive system and hope the stars they have come up with some big goals at big times.

A defensive system? Why? The U.S. will have one of the top offenses in the tournament, from the defense out. I think the offensive ability of many of the U.S. players is being underestimated here. Are you telling me a team with the top four centers being Modano, Weight, Roenick, and Conroy won't be able to score?

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Since when is early to mid thirties old? Most of these guys are in their prime. I'll admit that the U.S. doesn't have alot of "stars" in the 24-28 range, but there are some, and the guys in the next stage after that are dynamite. The U.S. will be fine.

You have to admitt some of these guys are not exactly in there primes anymore. Not to mention goaltending may be an issue when we play Russia and Canada.

Like i said i hope to god I am wrong.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
A defensive system? Why? The U.S. will have one of the top offenses in the tournament, from the defense out. I think the offensive ability of many of the U.S. players is being underestimated here. Are you telling me a team with the top four centers being Modano, Weight, Roenick, and Conroy won't be able to score?

Do you think this team could outscore Canada and Russia.

We will have to play both those teams if we want to win it, and i don't think we can outscore them.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Japser17 said:
You have to admitt some of these guys are not exactly in there primes anymore. Not to mention goaltending may be an issue when we play Russia and Canada.

Like i said i hope to god I am wrong.

You're right, but on a team like this, in a tournament this condensed it won't matter IMO. Goaltending is a question mark, but I think that's the case for several of the teams. IMO, Canada is the only team that doesn't have any question marks. This competition is wide open.

Last edited:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I get the sense that some people are putting too much emphasis on the age of the team and not thier ability. On these boards, young = good while old = bad. People look at Chelios like the guy's dead already. Frankly, I'd take a dead Chelios over Richard Lintner anyday.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
Chelios said:

i don't think this is a horrible team compared to what the could have had. I think this is just about as good of team as we could have put together, i think this team does give us the best chance of winning.

That being said, Canada and Russia on paper are clearly better teams.

But there is no substitute for hard work and when the puck drops what on paper doesn't matter. This team needs to be willing to do all the little things if they hope to win it all and I think bringing in players like Halpern and Smolinski instead of York and Gomez makes them a harder working, tougher to play against team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Japser17 said:
Do you think this team could outscore Canada and Russia.

We will have to play both those teams if we want to win it, and i don't think we can outscore them.

Yes, I think we CAN. Frankly, I don't think Russia's team is going to be as good as people think it will be. Let's wait and see who suits up for them. Besides, I think the U.S. proved in the last Olympics we can hang with them. As for Canada, GREAT TEAM, but as they proved at the last Olympics, and even at the past two WC's, scoring is at a premium.

Last edited:

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
You're right, but in on a team like this, in a tournament this condensed it won't matter IMO. Goaltending is a question mark, but I think that's the case for several of the teams. IMO, Canada is the only team that doesn't have any question marks. This competition is wide open.

I wouldn't say Russia has a question mark in goal, i think they are pretty set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad