Team USA Roster announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
Jag68Vlady27 said:
For the record,
Gomez, Rolston and Halpern all play the same position. Rolston and Halpern can play the wing but have mainly played center in recent years.

That said, I think Roenick will still be on the wing, even without Gomez. It'll probably be Modano, Weight, Conroy and one of Drury/Rolston/Halpern up the middle, with the others playing wing.

Right now, you could probably argue that Scott Gomez is better than Doug Weight but, reputations being what they are, Gomez gets the snub. Even if they didn't dress him one game, or only play him on the power play, Gomez could have helped this team.

Another stunner to me would be if Carney is not on the team. He's a quality shutdown defenseman. I'd rather match him up against Iginla than the slow-footed Hatcher but hey it's Ron Wilson's funeral.

USA went with a physical team, Weight is more physical than Gomez.

I think Halpern will be put on the wing, with Kono on the other side and either Smolinski or Rolston centering them.

disles1

Jun 5, 2002
Visit site
Japser17 said:
I think it has to be Dipeitro, he is the best of the 3.

By the way who is the girl :bow:

She works for the islanders--does all the promotions, talks with the fans during breaks in the game, goes on the ice with contestants giving away prizes between periods etc. :yo:

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
disles1 said:
She works for the islanders--does all the promotions, talks with the fans during breaks in the game, goes on the ice with contestants giving away prizes between periods etc. :yo:

I am officially an islander fan

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I thought Mike York's MVP season and ability to play all 3 forward positions added to his defensive non-liability would be enough to get a spot on the Florida Keys All-Stars. No worries kid, there's always 2016, maybe by then you'll be old enough.

Vic Rattlehead*

mowzie said:
I thought Mike York's MVP season and ability to play all 3 forward positions added to his defensive non-liability would be enough to get a spot on the Florida Keys All-Stars. No worries kid, there's always 2016, maybe by then you'll be old enough.
I as well thought that York would make the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
One thing I'd like to add is that I'm glad USA hockey held true to their statement that the World Championships would dictate the team members somewhat. Halpern and Conklin are on the team because of it. It's better for the entire hockey program that way.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
mowzie said:
Same as I, his attitude would have been a great addition to a team that has a lot of egos.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Tkachuk - Weight - Amonte
Hull - Roenick - Guerin
Drury - Modano - Halpern
Rolston - Conroy - Langenbrunner

ex. Blake, Smoke, Konowalchuk

Leetch - Miller
Schneider - Rafalski
Chelios - Klee

ex. Leopold, Hatcher

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
HemskyFreak83 said:
i would take 5 players over Smolinski

I don't get why everyone is so surprised. I would take 20 Canadians before Maltby or Draper ever entered into my mind. These are teams, not all-star teams.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Where is everyone getting the idea Gomez is soft and horrible defensivly. The guy doesn't wear a visor and is allways in the scrums in people's face. He isn't that physical around the boards but a center doesn't really have to be. I guess 45 points in his last 25 games or 6 points in 5 games in the playoffs mean nothing. Gomez can play RW also so one dimentional doesn't fit the description. His defense although not selke worthy isn't all that bad. He has gotten much better over the past two season. I don't really care if Gomez plays, it is just hurting USA. Gomez put up more points then Weight, Modano and JR this season.......its ok for Modano and Weight to skip the WC based on their reputation.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Boomhower said:
Tkachuk - Weight - Amonte
Hull - Roenick - Guerin
Drury - Modano - Halpern
Rolston - Conroy - Langenbrunner

ex. Blake, Smoke, Konowalchuk

Leetch - Miller
Schneider - Rafalski
Chelios - Klee

ex. Leopold, Hatcher

Tkachuk - Modano - Hull
Amonte - Roenick - Guerin
Drury - Weight - Langenbrunner
Rolston - Conroy - Blake

Leetch - Schneider
Rafalski - Hatcher
Chelios - Leopold

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Weight and Modano have more international expierence than Gomez. I can see their thinking there. Resting them during the WC isn't that bad of an idea either IMO because they are older than Gomez. But, team USA will miss Gomez's speed which could definately been an asset during the tournament.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Where is everyone getting the idea Gomez is soft and horrible defensivly. The guy doesn't wear a visor and is allways in the scrums in people's face. He isn't that physical around the boards but a center doesn't really have to be. I guess 45 points in his last 25 games or 6 points in 5 games in the playoffs mean nothing. Gomez can play RW also so one dimentional doesn't fit the description. His defense although not selke worthy isn't all that bad. He has gotten much better over the past two season. I don't really care if Gomez plays, it is just hurting USA. Gomez put up more points then Weight, Modano and JR this season.......its ok for Modano and Weight to skip the WC based on their reputation.

The lack of Gomez' goal production hurts him significantly.

And while he's not THAT soft, he's hardly a physical guy out there. And yes, J-Mac, he is not great defensivly.

Great playmaker, but his lack of goals really hurts him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
colonel_korn said:
First time in a while John Leclair hasn't been on the team, eh?

He shouldn't be. He has been terrible.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
Team too old and slow

Hatcher? Weight? Chelios? Hull? Give us all a giant break. What, Ken Morrow, Joe Mullen and Mike Ramsey weren't available? Where are Gomez and John Michael Lyles?

nordique

Smolinski over Gomez is dumb.

Esche has to start, no? He's taken a team to the Conference Finals (at least, so far), more than DiPietro can say.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I understand they want defensively concsious, two-way players. But how many of those players do you need? Looking at the list, they have far too many IMO.

And what the hell is Jason Blake doing anywhere near this team? The guy is 5-10 and feisty and put up 50 points and all the sudden hes playing over guys like Gomez and York (Who is a very similar player, except even better offensively)?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Yellowcard said:
I understand they want defensively concsious, two-way players. But how many of those players do you need? Looking at the list, they have far too many IMO.

And what the hell is Jason Blake doing anywhere near this team? The guy is 5-10 and feisty and put up 50 points and all the sudden hes playing over guys like Gomez and York (Who is a very similar player, except even better offensively)?

Blake's one of the best pk players in the league and he'll be a high energy player for the 4th line.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
CREW99AW said:
Blake's one of the best pk players in the league and he'll be a high energy player for the 4th line.
So is York. And my point was that they have a ton of players on this team that can play on the PK: Conroy, Drury, Halpern, Konowalchuk, Langenbrunner, Smolinski, and Rolston can all kill penalties. So if you're going to put a player like Blake on the team, then why not upgrade and put York in? He can do everything Blake can while adding more offense.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
Mobey said:
I don't get why everyone is so surprised. I would take 20 Canadians before Maltby or Draper ever entered into my mind. These are teams, not all-star teams.

true but why him with that line up he would be in the PB, should have just picked Gomez, York or even LeClair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->