Team USA Roster announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
1LS9 said:
USA's roster is a little older than I would have liked, but I think we've got a solid team. Big question mark is goaltending, but any of those guys can rise to the occassion.

Not picking on you, but what's the problem many people are having with a veteran roster? This is a two week tournament that will feature well rested, well conditioned athletes.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
jcs_1983_shannonman said:
Here are the changes I would have liked to have seen made (my changes are to the right and in bold):

Halpern ----> Gomez
Blake ----> LeClair
Smolinski ----> Marchant
Leopold ----> Carney

Other than that, I think Team U.S.A. did the best they could have did.

I think it's a good sign the U.S. has enough depth that there are some controversial picks.

Hockeypuck

1LS9 said:
USA's roster is a little older than I would have liked, but I think we've got a solid team. Big question mark is goaltending, but any of those guys can rise to the occassion.
USA's goaltending is a big question mark,but there isn't much to pick from right now. In 4 or 5 years I see it being alot stronger.

Phanuthier*

I would have put Gomez, Parrish, Marchant and Mike York ahead of Hull, Amonte, Smolinski and maybe Blake.

Would have left Chelios and Hatcher off the team, and put on maybe a guy like Carney and someone else. I personally think Hatcher is on the slide, and was embarassed in the series vs. Calgary. The guy's on a major downswing IMO. I wouldn't put him on Team Canada's 3rd team. I have to admit I hoped he would make this team, because he sucks. While some of you guys critisize Leopold, I would be willing to put money that Leopold will surprise you guys, and become USA's top defenseman. Maybe I'm a homer, but I really think this kid is something special, and besides Leetch, is the best right now on this teams D.

nordique

Hull makes the team despite a horrible season where his coach and GM called him out for soft play over guys like Gomez and York.

And what has Tony Amonte done in the past five years to merit a selection?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Blackjack said:
I don't think Devils fans should be too upset over the exclusion of Scott Gomez. Yeah, he put up 70 points, but as far as 1st line scorers go, that's a relatively modest number. Weight, who plays a very similar style, scored 5 fewer points in 5 fewer games, I don't think the U.S. loses that much by going with Weight.

Gomez will be an extremely important part of Team USA in the near future as guys like Guerin, Hull, Modano, Weight, Roenick, and Tkchuck get older. Gomez is one of the very few young American Forwards that is a proven scorer.

I agree with the consensus on Mike York, he should've been there.
Weight was also on the second line centering some combination of Mellanby, Drake, and Mayers for the vast majority of the year. Not to mention playing out of position at the point on the power play. The Blues grossly squandered his talents this past year, and he was still our second leading scorer during the regular season and the playoffs. It'll be nice to see him skating with some people who can put the puck in the net for once. Or even accept a pass cleanly. <sigh>

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Splatman Phanutier said:
I would have put Gomez, Parrish, Marchant and Mike York ahead of Hull, Amonte, Smolinski and maybe Blake.

Would have left Chelios and Hatcher off the team, and put on maybe a guy like Carney and someone else. I personally think Hatcher is on the slide, and was embarassed in the series vs. Calgary. The guy's on a major downswing IMO. I wouldn't put him on Team Canada's 3rd team. I have to admit I hoped he would make this team, because he sucks. While some of you guys critisize Leopold, I would be willing to put money that Leopold will surprise you guys, and become USA's top defenseman. Maybe I'm a homer, but I really think this kid is something special, and besides Leetch, is the best right now on this teams D.

I think Hatcher deserves a mulligan for this season. I dont think he is necessarily on a "slide". He rushed himself back from a pretty serious injury, and I dont want to criticize the guy until I see him playing healthy again.

That being said...I think the USA should have maybe gone for somebody else for this years World Cup team. I think Hatcher will still be feeling the effects from the injury during the tournament. But I still think he can be a very good defensman for the Wings. He is, after all, only 1 season removed from being a Norris Trophy finalist.

I think Chelios is a solid pick. He is a great leader, and even at the age of 42 he plays a very solid game.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Higgy4 said:
I think Hatcher deserves a mulligan for this season. I dont think he is necessarily on a "slide". He rushed himself back from a pretty serious injury, and I dont want to criticize the guy until I see him playing healthy again.

That being said...I think the USA should have maybe gone for somebody else for this years World Cup team. I think Hatcher will still be feeling the effects from the injury during the tournament. But I still think he can be a very good defensman for the Wings. He is, after all, only 1 season removed from being a Norris Trophy finalist.

I think Chelios is a solid pick. He is a great leader, and even at the age of 42 he plays a very solid game.

That's kind of the way I look at it. At least he will have another three or so months to continue his recovery. Hopefully at that point he'll be able to contribute close to the way he's capable. If not, limit his minutes. It's not like every defenseman will be able to play a ton anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad