Team USA Roster announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mobey said:
Hatcher is never automatic. He didn't make the SLC Olympic team. Certain guys, who are still damn good hockey players, i.e. Hull and Chelios deserve to be on this team for the contributions they've made to USA hockey.

I love how everyone is trashing this team. Suddenly, our defense sucks, our goaltending sucks, and our forwards can't score. I mean, christ, Canada's stacked team in 96 lost to a USA team with Joel Otto.....

I don't understand why the U.S. is getting crucified for having a veteran team. The World Cup is a veteran player's tournament. Besides, most of the guys on this team have played together before, so there's that built in chemistry. I think that's more important than putting in new blood just for the sake of doing so.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
In the World Cup he only has to do it for one night.

A month ago he just outplayed him in 4 out of 5 games.

Come on guys.

The Flyers were a much better team come playoff time than the Devils were. If USA plans to have Esche win them some games like Richter did in 96 then we are in big trouble

And i seriously doubt Esche will be the guy in goal for the US anyway.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Japser17 said:
Come on guys.

The Flyers were a much better team come playoff time than the Devils were. If USA plans to have Esche win them some games like Richter did in 96 then we are in big trouble

And i seriously doubt Esche will be the guy in goal for the US anyway.

Much better? I wouldn't go that far. Esche was a differance maker in that series. He clearly outplayed Brodeur. If you don't want to admit that, that's fine. As for your point about stealing games, hopefully the U.S. will be good enough to where that isn't the case. At any rate, I have confidence Esche can get it done. Based on his play this year, he will be the starter. It's his job to lose IMO.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ZeroTheHero said:
Considering how strong USA was in the olympics this should be a good one for them. The memory of that 6-0 still haunts me in my nightmares :banghead: :cry:

Exactly. This is essentially the same team that competed in SLC, just TWO YEARS AGO. If anything this team has more grit. The biggest differance is no Mike Richter to fall back on. He wasn't going to be around forever, so hopefully Esche et al can get the job done. I think they can.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Exactly. This is essentially the same team that competed in SLC, just TWO YEARS AGO. If anything this team has more grit. The biggest differance is no Mike Richter to fall back on. He wasn't going to be around forever, so hopefully Esche et al can get the job done. I think they can.

I don't think he can

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
TEAM USA

GOALIES S/C HT WT DOB TEAM
Ty Conklin L 6-0 180 3/4/76 Edmonton Oilers
Rick DiPietro R 6-0 190 9/19/81 New York Islanders
Robert Esche L 6-1 210 1/22/78 Philadelphia Flyers

DEFENSEMEN S/C HT WT DOB TEAM
Chris Chelios R 6-1 190 1/25/62 Detroit Red Wings
Derian Hatcher L 6-5 235 6/4/72 Detroit Red Wings
Ken Klee R 6-0 214 4/23/71 Toronto Maple Leafs
Brian Leetch L 6-0 185 3/3/68 Toronto Maple Leafs
Jordan Leopold L 6-0 210 8/3/80 Calgary Flames
Aaron Miller R 6-4 210 8/11/71 Los Angeles Kings
Brian Rafalski R 5-10 190 9/28/73 New Jersey Devils
Mathieu Schneider L 6-0 190 6/12/69 Detroit Red Wings

FORWARDS S/C HT WT DOB TEAM
Tony Amonte L 6-0 200 9/2/70 Philadelphia Flyers
TODD MARCHANT
Craig Conroy R 6-2 197 9/4/71 Calgary Flames
Chris Drury R 5-10 202 8/20/76 Buffalo Sabres
Bill Guerin R 6-2 210 11/9/70 Dallas Stars
SCOTT GOMEZ
Brett Hull R 5-11 203 8/9/64 Detroit Red Wings
Steve Konowalchuk L 6-2 204 11/11/72 Colorado Avalanche
Jamie Langenbrunner R 6-1 200 7/24/75 New Jersey Devils
Mike Modano L 6-3 205 6/7/70 Dallas Stars
Jeremy Roenick R 6-1 196 1/17/70 Philadelphia Flyers
Brian Rolston L 6-2 210 2/21/73 Boston Bruins
MIKE YORK
Keith Tkachuk L 6-2 231 1/28/72 St. Louis Blues
Doug Weight L 5-11 201 1/21/71 St. Louis Blues

Those are the only changes that I would make to the team. I like the blueline, but you could include Carney if you wanted to make a change there. I think that the goaltending is decent but unproven, two first year starters and a guy that will have his first year as a starter in 2004-05....but not a bad lineup...USA needs to start easing in their young guys. You have to make a case for guys like Legwand and York to start getting more international experience in the big tourneys.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Mobey said:
Hatcher is never automatic. He didn't make the SLC Olympic team. Certain guys, who are still damn good hockey players, i.e. Hull and Chelios deserve to be on this team for the contributions they've made to USA hockey.

I love how everyone is trashing this team. Suddenly, our defense sucks, our goaltending sucks, and our forwards can't score. I mean, christ, Canada's stacked team in 96 lost to a USA team with Joel Otto.....

I'm not trashing the team. I think its very competitive actually. I just think a few more of the younger players could really help the US.

I think overall, its not a bad team. I was just making an observation.

Thats all. :D

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Japser17 said:
I have a feeling the US is in some trouble here. i can't see them beating either Canada or Russia

US hockey is in a weird spot here. All of the current stars are getting old and are past there prime, while all the young guys coming up (the kids who just won the junior chamionships) are not going to be ready for another3, 4 maybe 5 years.

I hope I am wrong, but I think US hockey is going to be playing for bronze medals for the next couple years.

After reading almost six pages of posts this is the one thing I think people are overlooking... The Us team is in a position that is not dissimilar to Canada in the 98 Olympics some stars are aging and others are not quite ready to make the jump to "go to guy for their country"
I do think that this is a good US team. Thing is sometimes......"you gotta dance with the girl that brung ya" ....Modano, Weight, Guerin, Chelios have given it up for international tournaments for years. I think it would be a crime to leave them off with the only reason being that they are too old. One has to remember that this is a tournament and not a season.
The only polace i would critisize the US team is in goal...Esche is playing way over his head.. Dipetro would be a betttter stater and Bring Tom Barrasso out of retirement. I miss his sour sound bites..

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Mobey said:
We don't know why that happens, it just does. Just like Draper and Maltby making Canada, or Halpern and Smolinksi for the USA....

:shakehead
I think many people are going to be pleasantly surprised how much Maltby and Draper help the Canadian team.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
ZeroTheHero said:
But the rest are if not rockets, at least solid skaters.

Most definitely.. USA defenitely has some of the game's fastest forwards, it's some defenders and some players age that has people wondering their overall speed.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't think that's the case at all. I'm more inclined to give the nod to Esche based on the season he's had, especially if he can get the Flyers to the Finals. At the very least there will be a competition for the job in camp and in some of the early games.

I'd also think it's Esche job to lose after the season he's had,but it looks like Pleau's leaving the door open,seeing who plays well in the preliminary round.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=84641
``Ty helped himself (in Prague), there's no question,'' Pleau said. ``He was an all-star goaltender there for us.
``We like him a lot but as far as who is going to be No. 1, we'll let that play itself out.''

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/worldcup04/columns/story?columnist=kelley_jim&id=1802986

Jim Kelley
However, in terms of experience, this is not Team USA's strong point and it's likely the starter will be determined by who is playing the best in the preliminary round.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ZeroTheHero said:
Richter was solid, but these guys should all be better...

I doubt that. Richter stood on his head both at the first World Cup and at the SLC Olympics. He deserves alot of credit for the success of those two teams.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Modano = Dud said:
Most definitely.. USA defenitely has some of the game's fastest forwards, it's some defenders and some players age that has people wondering their overall speed.

IMO, the only "poor" skater on the U.S. team is Derian Hatcher. Just looking at the defense:

Schneider
Leetch
Rafalski
Leopold
Chelios
Miller
Klee
* Hatcher*

Miller and Chelios are average, the other guys are good to great skaters.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Higgy4 said:
:shakehead
I think many people are going to be pleasantly surprised how much Maltby and Draper help the Canadian team.

No one is denying that. In a similar vein, I think many will be surprised how much Halpern et al helps the U.S. team.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
As an Isles fan, I'm very dissapointed to see Blake on this team. I'd MUCH rather see Mike York.

As fast as Blake is, and as gritty and determined as he is, he doesn't have the greatest hockey smarts and can make some real boneheaded plays. He also plays as if he's the only one on the ice at times, which I don't think fits in too well with this team.

York is just as gritty and as fast as Blake, but he has 10x the hockey sense and is just a much more rounded player, IMO. Very dissapointed that he's not on the team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Postman said:
As an Isles fan, I'm very dissapointed to see Blake on this team. I'd MUCH rather see Mike York.

As fast as Blake is, and as gritty and determined as he is, he doesn't have the greatest hockey smarts and can make some real boneheaded plays. He also plays as if he's the only one on the ice at times, which I don't think fits in too well with this team.

York is just as gritty and as fast as Blake, but he has 10x the hockey sense and is just a much more rounded player, IMO. Very dissapointed that he's not on the team.

I agree. I'd rather have York as well, although Blake can be very effective when he's "on." He might not even get that much playing time anyway.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
disles1 said:
Parrish or York?? Who's better---

I'd give the edge to York. Parrish is a better goal scorer and has an underrated two-way game, but York is just one of the more well rounded American born players. He may not have gamebreaking skills, but he has the hockey sense and can play in any situation.

jerseydevil

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Japser17 said:
I think its pretty obvious what type of team they wanted to put together. They wanted tough two way players and Gomez doesn't fit the profile.

Not saying Gomez isn't a better player, but this is a team trying to win the World Cup, not an All-Star team. You need players willing to do the dirty work, Gomez isn't one of those players.

Are you kidding? This is a guy who plays on the Devils..not the Rangers.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
ZeroTheHero said:
And is a calm and smart individual who acts like a veteran, both off and on the ice.

I wouldn't necessarily list that as an advantage over Parrish, who is a smart player himself, doesn't take dumb penalties, and is a good lockeroom guy.

Both are the kinds of players that can take a beating and won't even flinch. Parrish, IMO, is pound for pound one of the toughest players in the league with how he just takes brutal beatings every single night and keeps going. He's not the biggest but he's a very strong player. York is very similar.

Love both, but I'd take York for his overall game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig