Team USA Roster announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Who was he going to displace at center? Not Modano, Roenick and Weight. It came down to him and Craig Conroy, and there's no way Conroy was going to be left off the team. Conroy, Halpern, and Rolston will make a killer 4th line.

I'd take Gomez over Rolston & Halpern.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Toonces said:
Yeah, but it's not all that suprising.

LeClair forgot where the net was located.

LeClair had a great Olympic tournament in Salt Lake City. I'm more surprised he was left off out of any of the "snubs". Gomez probably should've been there also. I like the defense. Miller is solid if he stays healthy. I'm fine with Esche as the #1 goalie. Solid team but Canada is still the prohibited favorites and the Czechs and Russians haven't announced their teams yet.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
colonel_korn said:
Where'd you get this roster, incawg? TSN.ca is reporting Carney on D instead of Klee.

It should be Klee. They have Klee on NHL.com and they announced him on ESPN. I was wondering why TSN had Carney instead. I hope it is Klee.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I think its a mistake to not include Gomez considering the way he was playing in the last half of the season. They could have shifted Roenick over to the wing to make room for him at center. USA Hockey can't afford to play the political games that they do.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
Garfield said:
I'd take Gomez over Rolston & Halpern.

I think its pretty obvious what type of team they wanted to put together. They wanted tough two way players and Gomez doesn't fit the profile.

Not saying Gomez isn't a better player, but this is a team trying to win the World Cup, not an All-Star team. You need players willing to do the dirty work, Gomez isn't one of those players.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
colonel_korn said:
Where'd you get this roster, incawg? TSN.ca is reporting Carney on D instead of Klee.

I copied it straight off espn.com, and they're the ones that released the news. The official site (wch2004.com) also has klee in. TSN isn't usually wrong, but it looks like they goofed on this one.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
Mobey said:
They're not centers. You can't just start plugging players into positions they don't play. This isn't an all-star game.

Halpern is a natural Center

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
cagney said:
I think its a mistake to not include Gomez considering the way he was playing in the last half of the season. They could have shifted Roenick over to the wing to make room for him at center. USA Hockey can't afford to play the political games that they do.

Who knows? Maybe Gomez declined to play? We don't know. I remember when the Olympic team was being predicted, people would say Conroy wouldn't play because he was alienated in the past by USA hockey. Gomez will be a fixture in the future.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Way to go Conks!!! That is great news for a guy who went undrafted and unheralded pretty much all of the year. I guess that WC raised his stock a bit :D

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
incawg said:
I copied it straight off espn.com, and they're the ones that released the news. The official site (wch2004.com) also has klee in. TSN isn't usually wrong, but it looks like they goofed on this one.

TSN has Klee listed in the article now.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
Mobey said:
Who knows? Maybe Gomez declined to play? We don't know. I remember when the Olympic team was being predicted, people would say Conroy wouldn't play because he was alienated in the past by USA hockey. Gomez will be a fixture in the future.

Gomez only seems to play well with a certain type of player. Guys like Elias, and Mogilny. USA doesn't have wingers that really play that style.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
Mobey said:
But he's more versatile. Rolston can play center too, but they're able to play at the same level on the wings. You can't say the same for a playmaking center.

i missed your point from before, sorry

I got it now though, your right.

NYIsles1*

willie said:
Am I the only one who would have (clearly) taken Klatt over Smolinski?
I thought Mark Parrish should have been included.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
For the record,
Gomez, Rolston and Halpern all play the same position. Rolston and Halpern can play the wing but have mainly played center in recent years.

That said, I think Roenick will still be on the wing, even without Gomez. It'll probably be Modano, Weight, Conroy and one of Drury/Rolston/Halpern up the middle, with the others playing wing.

Right now, you could probably argue that Scott Gomez is better than Doug Weight but, reputations being what they are, Gomez gets the snub. Even if they didn't dress him one game, or only play him on the power play, Gomez could have helped this team.

Another stunner to me would be if Carney is not on the team. He's a quality shutdown defenseman. I'd rather match him up against Iginla than the slow-footed Hatcher but hey it's Ron Wilson's funeral.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Rabid Ranger said:
Who was he going to displace at center? Not Modano, Roenick and Weight. It came down to him and Craig Conroy, and there's no way Conroy was going to be left off the team. Conroy, Halpern, and Rolston will make a killer 4th line.

Well put Roenick on the wing then. Gomez had more points than any of those forwards save Tkachuk. And the was a single point difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->