Olympics: Team USA 2018 Roster Discussion

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hockey Canada is an old boys' club, no way Matthews would make it (regardless of whether he'll be good enough or not)

Don't see how this is true at all. Canada has always switched up who it picks, or the last two Olympics would have seen the same rosters. Instead we saw Duchene, Tavares, Bouwmeester, Kunitz, Carter, etc.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I really think that Eichel needs to be the main catalyst and best player on his line. That's when he seems to be at his best.

Makes sense, I obv don't see Eichel as often as you so when I think of Eichel my 1st thought is this burst type skating player. I guess I over look his playmaking in that I focus so much on his skating

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Cam Atkinson Olympics

How close is Cam Atkinson to making the US roster in 2018 (if NHL participates).

27 years old

20+ goal scorer the last 3 seasons.
On pace for 33 goals this season.

For comparison sake, he has more goals in the last 3 seasons than Oshie.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Makes sense, I obv don't see Eichel as often as you so when I think of Eichel my 1st thought is this burst type skating player. I guess I over look his playmaking in that I focus so much on his skating

He needs the puck on his stick to be effective. It's why he isn't effective with Kane, because Kane likes to carry the puck. He works best with a grinder who can get the puck off the boards and a finisher/net front presence. From what I have seen J.G. also likes to carry the puck (which he should because he is a wizard). Just don't think there would be enough puck for the two of them on the same line.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Politics. It's not unheard of for the young guys to have to wait their turn. He'd undoubtedly be ready talent-wise...just depends on the Good 'Ol Boys in charge.

Yes but Eichel is no more established than Matthews now, and given the amount of time until the Olympics why do you think Eichel will get the veteran treatment while Matthews will be made to "pay his dues"?

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
IMO, it would be between him and Backes with Backes getting the edge for his leadership, physicality, experience.

RW Depth:

Kane
Kessel
Wheeler
Backes/Oshie/Okposo/Kreider

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
IMO, it would be between him and Backes with Backes getting the edge for his leadership, physicality, experience.

RW Depth:

Kane
Kessel
Wheeler

That's where I'm at, Kreider or Atkinson for that 4th line. Cam is small, and that is a perceived weakness, but he plays in all situations, and has a good 2 way game.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

RW Depth:

Kane
Kessel
Wheeler

Coyle also deserves mention here. Like Atkinson he has scored 20 G and is on pace for 30 this year. He's also big, physical and can play both RW/C and is trending upward in a big way.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Coyle also deserves mention here. Like Atkinson he has scored 20 G and is on pace for 30 this year. He's also big, physical and can play both RW/C and is trending upward in a big way.

Atkinson is a lot more proven though.
Coyle is not on pace for 30 goals this season either.
Likely comes down to who's best next season and who has the best camp.
Right now Atkinson had the upper hand though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I was pushing for Atkinson on the World Cup team. I think if he keeps up this level of production he would be in consideration for the next Olympic team. Very versatile player with big ice skills.

Evergreen

RW Depth:

Kane
Kessel
Wheeler
Kreider is a LW

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
They also know how to win, 100% he would make it. Would they hold McDavid back?

Wouldn't hurt the Coach sees what he brings every night as well.

They konw how to win? lol it's because they have the best players..

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Toews and Doughty made it in 2010. They were 20 and 21.

Towes was 4 years out of his draft year.

Canada was and is an old boys club. They can afford to be because they always win. Other countries don't have that luxury.

The Undertaker

Jun 22, 2012
Yes they should but USA is ran by clowns so probably not. I fully expect JG, Matthews, Kessel, Galchenyuk, and maybe Eichel to be left home for guys like Callahan, Adelkadr, Backes, Dubinsky, Oshie, etc.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
They are easily among the best 13 forwards so they will both make it. Whether or not they centre a line is another story but if I am projecting I think that Mathews plays wing and Eichel plays C. Matthews made a good impression at the World Cup of Hockey on McDavid's wing (he was initially pegged as the extra forward and works his way up to the top line) and team USA will take that into consideration.

Should be locks:
Kane
Gaudreau
Pavelski
Kessel
Wheeler
Pacioretty
Matthews
Eichel
Galchenyuk

Bubble Forwards:
Kesler (Unless he has a huge drop off next year I think he is very probable as he is dominant in the dot and provides a veteran presence)
Oshie
Saad
Larkin
Johnson
Trochek
Parise
Stepan

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yes but Eichel is no more established than Matthews now, and given the amount of time until the Olympics why do you think Eichel will get the veteran treatment while Matthews will be made to "pay his dues"?

Except, that extra year of nhl experience. ..

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Matthews 1C
Eichel 2 C

Fixed that for you.

Center depth:

1. Eichel
2. Matthews

there we go

edit: joking...but if we are debating one more likely to move to wing, I'd guess Matthews, because he seems a bit more versatile positionally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad