Olympics: Team USA 2018 Roster Discussion

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Leaving off Wheeler is a fail.

Based on how he has looked playing for team USA I would say putting Wheeler on the team is a fail.

Same goes for MaxPax. Both have looked like bums in international play best vs best.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Pacioretty-Matthews-Kane
Gaudreau-Pavelski-Eichel
Parise-Stepan-Kessel
Saad-Kesler-Wheeler
Galchenyuk

Suter-Byfuglien
Mcdonaugh-Carlson
Fowler-Jones
Faulk

Bishop-Schnieder-Quick

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Pacioretty-Matthews-Kane
Gaudreau-Pavelski-Eichel
Parise-Stepan-Kessel
Saad-Kesler-Wheeler
Galchenyuk

Suter-Byfuglien
Mcdonaugh-Carlson
Fowler-Jones
Faulk

Bishop-Schnieder-Quick

As big of a fan I am, Parise will be 34 years old by the time the Olympics roll around. I would think a player like Charlie Coyle would be more deserving of that spot.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
As big of a fan I am, Parise will be 34 years old by the time the Olympics roll around. I would think a player like Charlie Coyle would be more deserving of that spot.

Coyle has been a great surprise this year. I love his steady progression. I'm not sure he makes the team but he's definitely outplayed Parise.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Coyle has been a great surprise this year. I love his steady progression. I'm not sure he makes the team but he's definitely outplayed Parise.

If he continues his steady progression, he'll be a 30g 30a player by then. How could you keep him off?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
If he continues his steady progression, he'll be a 30g 30a player by then. How could you keep him off?

Bounty of riches mostly. Not really against Coyle, just a lot of competition.

3 Center spots probably locked up

Matthews
Eichel
Pavelski

If Kesler keeps up his game he'll have that forth spot.

Wings you assume Kessel, Kane, Gaudreau are locks

Then theres a cluster of very good players, Wheeler, Atkinson, Pacioretty, Saad, Van Riemsdyk, Foligno, etc so a good player will get left behind.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Coyle would be a perfect 4th line RW.

Anyone think Trocheck has a chance? The offensive numbers aren't great (better lately) but he's playing 21:35 per game which is just insane for a forward. Tom Rowe must trust him to do everything, not a bad trait to have on a team like this.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Bounty of riches mostly. Not really against Coyle, just a lot of competition.

3 Center spots probably locked up

Matthews
Eichel
Pavelski

If Kesler keeps up his game he'll have that forth spot.

Wings you assume Kessel, Kane, Gaudreau are locks

Then theres a cluster of very good players, Wheeler, Atkinson, Pacioretty, Saad, Van Riemsdyk, Foligno, etc so a good player will get left behind.

Good points. The growth of American-born talent over the past 10 years has me very encouraged for the future (assuming NHL players will continue to participate).

Anyone think Trocheck has a chance? The offensive numbers aren't great (better lately) but he's playing 21:35 per game which is just insane for a forward. Tom Rowe must trust him to do everything, not a bad trait to have on a team like this.

You'd have to think he would get a look.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Updated the OP by taking out a bunch of players that had either retired or weren't under contracts with NHL teams. If there's anyone thinks I should add, go ahead and tell me and I will.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Maybe because of his versatility. Could be a 13th forward

everything

Jan 5, 2017
I am a Canadian citizen supporting USA. I almost got booted off the board for name calling of their fans and media, for booing American kids. So I will stick to hockey.

USA are the worst country when it comes to picking team rosters they seem to have a buddy system where guys like Jack Johnson and David Backas has to be names on the teams. I would like to see fresh faces this time around. USA has enough good young players now that they don't have to keep naming the same players year after year.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I am a Canadian citizen supporting USA. I almost got booted off the board for name calling of their fans and media, for booing American kids. So I will stick to hockey.

USA are the worst country when it comes to picking team rosters they seem to have a buddy system where guys like Jack Johnson and David Backas has to be names on the teams. I would like to see fresh faces this time around. USA has enough good young players now that they don't have to keep naming the same players year after year.

Jack Johnson wasn't picked for Sochi so I don't follow this logic

everything

Jan 5, 2017
No, but they had no business selecting him on the world cup team. Not that I care about the WC.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Generally speaking, I think teams like USA, Canada, and Russia should load up with scorers in these short tourneys. Take advantage of the fact that you have more dynamic players than the other teams.

That said, Trocheck makes my team. I just think he's a special swiss army knife and a winner.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012

The selection process was evidently to build a tough, strong team, and Backes and J.Johnson are exactly that. Tough, and strong. Jack Johnson is also known as someone who takes very seriously representing his country and plays on a different level there, and Backes shoul've never been a questionable call at all. He deserved his spot. These two were not the reason the US did bad. It was the whole team. It is always the whole team. The whole tournament ended with the loss against Team Europe basically. Whoever watched that game knows that the whole team played simply terrible and Europe got them surprised. I still can't believe it, since they played much better in those three exhibition games before that. The game is still a mystery to me. Everyone was making mistakes, Europe was going 2 on 1 like 10 times in a period. Kane's mistake let to a goal. Some players like Pavelski or Wheeler were almost invisible. I just don't get it. This must be the biggest disaster for USA Hockey since the olympics in 1998, if not bigger, and I know the players and management definitely feel that way.

But, that happens, and it's history. Now it's time to do better, and the US has definitely a lot of good players to pick from.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Pacioretty-Matthews-Kane
Gaudreau-Pavelski-Eichel
Parise-Stepan-Kessel
Saad-Kesler-Wheeler
Galchenyuk

Suter-Byfuglien
Mcdonaugh-Carlson
Fowler-Jones
Faulk

Bishop-Schnieder-Quick

If you put Kessel on that top line instead of Patches (who I still think is a great player), I think that the scariest top two lines the US has iced since 96.

I've seen some commenters say that they want the likes of Suter out, but it seems he's still a pretty major cog in Minnesota, is he not?

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
If you put Kessel on that top line instead of Patches (who I still think is a great player), I think that the scariest top two lines the US has iced since 96.

I've seen some commenters say that they want the likes of Suter out, but it seems he's still a pretty major cog in Minnesota, is he not?

Who said that? That's borderline ridiculous.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
John Gibson might be the best American goalie by next season, in fact he might be already.

I don't think they'll start him either way but he has to be in consideration for that spot.

STC

Oct 29, 2012

If Trocheck isn't a lock we have serious problems in management. He's a better hockey player than several players who are considered locks such as Wheeler and Paciorety.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad