Mathews

McDonough-Carlson
Suter-Faulk
Gotisbehere-Jones
Hanifin

Gibson
Bishop
Quick

Or whatever goalie is hot that year. Obviously a lot would ride on Hanifin and Mathews seasons this year

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
I don't expect Parise to still be on the USA roster in a couple of years. Hasn't he been completely worthless on the international stage? Either way the States are packed with young talent on the cusp of being ready. It's going to be a good year for you guys.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
USA will have a very good team providing a meteor hits the dinosaurs who are currently in charge.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Gaudreau - Eichel - Kessel
Larkin - Matthews - Kane
Galchenyuk - Johnson - Wheeler
Saad - Trocheck/Stepan - Pavelski

Suter - Faulk
McDonagh - Jones
Leddy/Hanifin/Ghost - Carlson/Shattenkirk

Fun team to cheer for.

Last edited:

Mad Brills*

I doubt if lombardi's picking the team matthews/eichel will be on it.

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
One good thing to come out of all this is that I am going to be paying a lot closer attention to US players for the next 2 years with the idea of who may be the best fit for the next US team. What if guys like Galchenyuk or Connor burst out?

Now, what do we as American hockey fans have to do to make sure that Burke and Lombardi are not part of mgt anymore?

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
The US is about to go from C being a weakness to being a strength. Matthews, Eichel, Galchenyuk, Larkin, TJ are all guys who can play C and only 2 of them will be in their primes in 2018. The sky is the limit with the core players of USA Hockey, just hope they can get management corrected so the talent around them is where it needs to be. Those 5 guys will also allow someone like Pavelski to shift to wing where he's at his best.

The defense is gonna be nasty too. Shattenkirk, Faulk, Gostisbehere, Seth Jones should all be there. I'm a fan of Trouba but he's not a lock to make it and that speaks more to the depth at defense these days. Hanifin will be in a similar position. Both are really good though. If they can get Lombardi and Burke out of the way and get the right people making decisions, this team should be loaded at each position. A lot to be excited about the next few years with the national team even though their elimination in the WCOH was pretty embarrassing. Hopefully NHLers go to SK.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
One good thing to come out of all this is that I am going to be paying a lot closer attention to US players for the next 2 years with the idea of who may be the best fit for the next US team. What if guys like Galchenyuk or Connor burst out?

Now, what do we as American hockey fans have to do to make sure that Burke and Lombardi are not part of mgt anymore?

We have to have higher expectations for Worlds participation and REWARD players who take the time to show up.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Gaudreau - Pavelski - Kane
Pacioretty - Eichel - Kessel
Larkin - Matthews - Parise
Saad - Trochek - Oshie
Kesler, Wheeler

Suter - Jones
McDonaugh - Carlson
Fowler - Gotisbehere
Shattenkirk

Quick
Schneider
Bishop

:popcorn:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Gaudreau - Pavelski - Kane
Pacioretty - Eichel - Kessel
Larkin - Matthews - Parise
Saad - Trochek - Oshie
Kesler, Wheeler

Suter - Jones
McDonaugh - Carlson
Fowler - Gotisbehere
Shattenkirk

Quick
Schneider
Bishop

:popcorn:

Wheeler is one of the best wingers in the NHL. He should be higher than Pacioretty Oshie and Parise

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
looks good for the most part. i think your projecting connor to be good too soon though. somehow i bet we end up with backes, kesler, and callahan getting big minutes...

I wouldn't mind Kesler as a 4C.

They need to find guys that can play that crash and bang fourth line role they want, but without being a complete black hole offensively at an Olympic best-on-best level.

Parise - Kesler - ???? could be that.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Might as well go with the flow here and do my predictions. Second group is on the off-chance Bonino-Kessel continues to play well, Larkin could be a nice (and better) Hagelin replacement alongside them

Gaudreau - Eichel - Kessel | Gaudreau - Eichel - Pavelski
Paccioretty - Johnson - Kane | Paccioretty - Johnson - Kane
Larkin - Stepan - Pavelski | Larkin - Bonino - Kessel
Parise - Trocheck - Wheeler | Parise - Trocheck - Wheeler
Matthews - Saad | Matthews - Saad

Suter - Gostisbehere
McDonagh - Carlson
Hanifin - Faulk
Jones

Quick
Schneider
Gibson

For some fun, I'm predicting Hynes will be the head coach of USA in 2018 and he is going to put an emphasis on skating and speed to the line-up which explains some of the choices. I love that fourth line though.

Last edited:

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
if there is an NHL Olympics in 2018, no doubt about it, the U.S. will be right up there with Team Canada as main contenders for gold. No other team or teams come close.

Lol I'd temper expectations. Even if NHL players end up going to the Olympics, its anyone's guess as to how the selection process will play out given the absolute gong show that just unfolded in Toronto. You would think that USA hockey would learn from their mistakes, but who knows.

On paper, i think this team will be the favorites.

Seriously? Canada is the favorite, full stop, for every best on best competition from here out until another nation proves otherwise.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Gaudreau-Pavelski-Kessel
Wheeler-T. Johnson- Kane
Larkin-Eichel-Saad
Galchenyuk-Stepan-Oshie
Mathews

McDonough-Carlson
Suter-Faulk
Gotisbehere-Jones
Hanifin

Gibson
Bishop
Quick

Or whatever goalie is hot that year. Obviously a lot would ride on Hanifin and Mathews seasons this year

The playmaking of Matthews, T. Johnson, Eichel and Gaudreau will make a big difference.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Made a USA roster for kicks. Nothing invested in this team, but it certainly looks threatening. I think that the obvious path for USA is to do exactly the opposite of what its braintrust wants. Also, pretty much time to give up on the Parise generation other than a small number.

Saad Eichel Kane
Gaudreau Matthews Pavelski
Larkin Johnson Kessel
Galchenyuk Kesler Wheeler
Trochek, Pamieri

McDonagh Carlson
Gostibehere Faulk
Suter Jones
Shattenkirk, Hanifin

Schneider
Bishop
Gibson

Saad on the top line to fill in gaps (board work, defence, etc.) for two elite offensive talents. Pavelski with same role on the second line. Third line is a pure speed line that would be deployed with the easiest minutes and would give fourth lines and third pairings nightmares. I wanted to move on from Kesler, but USA seems to be lacking in young defensive centres. Inevitably there will be penalties that need to be killed and big defensive draws to be taken, so Kesler gets to keep a spot. Galchenyuk brings a bit of everything. Wheeler is low on the lineup, but USA is strong at RW and I'm not a big fan of his. Least dynamic top forward I can think of. Trochek and Palmieri round out the roster because there aren't a whole lot of other options outside of Miller, who I am not a fan of, and known international failure Pacioretty.

Defence follows Canada's LHD/RHD balance model. Canada may go overboard, but Ken Hitchcock once gave a very good explanation about how on the larger ice surface it is extra important to have proper handedness since the players need to be able to keep the puck in over a much wider surface. Pairings are pretty self-explanatory. Might be a shade weak defensively, but great puck movement and should get good protection from the speedy forwards. Goaltenders is just a toss up for whoever plays the best leading up.

Anyway, as a Canadian that is the American lineup that I would fear most. USA needs to emphasize speed and put its two main creative forwards in positions to succeed. If USA goes for a Lombardi model again, that fear would quickly dissipate.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Made a USA roster for kicks. Nothing invested in this team, but it certainly looks threatening. I think that the obvious path for USA is to do exactly the opposite of what its braintrust wants. Also, pretty much time to give up on the Parise generation other than a small number.

Saad Eichel Kane
Gaudreau Matthews Pavelski
Larkin Johnson Kessel
Galchenyuk Kesler Wheeler
Trochek, Pamieri

McDonagh Carlson
Gostibehere Faulk
Suter Jones
Shattenkirk, Hanifin

Schneider
Bishop
Gibson

Saad on the top line to fill in gaps (board work, defence, etc.) for two elite offensive talents. Pavelski with same role on the second line. Third line is a pure speed line that would be deployed with the easiest minutes and would give fourth lines and third pairings nightmares. I wanted to move on from Kesler, but USA seems to be lacking in young defensive centres. Inevitably there will be penalties that need to be killed and big defensive draws to be taken, so Kesler gets to keep a spot. Galchenyuk brings a bit of everything. Wheeler is low on the lineup, but USA is strong at RW and I'm not a big fan of his. Least dynamic top forward I can think of. Trochek and Palmieri round out the roster because there aren't a whole lot of other options outside of Miller, who I am not a fan of, and known international failure Pacioretty.

Defence follows Canada's LHD/RHD balance model. Canada may go overboard, but Ken Hitchcock once gave a very good explanation about how on the larger ice surface it is extra important to have proper handedness since the players need to be able to keep the puck in over a much wider surface. Pairings are pretty self-explanatory. Might be a shade weak defensively, but great puck movement and should get good protection from the speedy forwards. Goaltenders is just a toss up for whoever plays the best leading up.

Anyway, as a Canadian that is the American lineup that I would fear most. USA needs to emphasize speed and put its two main creative forwards in positions to succeed. If USA goes for a Lombardi model again, that fear would quickly dissipate.

Good lineup.

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
Will Eichel and Matthews be Team USA Centres in 2018 Olympic team?

If the NHL goes to the Olympics will these two centres? If they are where do they fit?

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
They should be.. Not sure they will be, but I'll be bummed if they aren't there. Rather have them there than the likes of Backes and Stepan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad