Olympics: Team USA 2018 Roster Discussion

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
If the NHL does indeed go to the Olympics, then yes, those 2 will be the Top 2 centers for the U.S.

If the NHL doesn't go to the Olympics, the NHL/Hockey Canada/USAHockey should partner up for a 8 game Summit Series. 4 games in the States and 4 in Canada. And have Crosby and McDavid so toe to toe with the American duo.

probably make more coin off that than any gimmicky World Cup.

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
I was just thinking about this morning when was the last time Team USA had a truly elite Centre Modano? Eichel and Matthews has the potential to be elite and are pretty good right now

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Matthews forsure, he plays a more complete game than Eichel.

Jack can be slotted in on the wing though. Regardless, both will be there.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Pavelski, Eichel, Matthews and Larkin could be the centres to build the team around

Take out Larkin and sub in Galchenyuk, although that's factoring in Chucky improving his all around C game. Otherwise he'll slot in on the wing.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
My hope if NHL does go to the olympics is that Matthews has Kessel on his wing to show the old & new faces of the Leafs

IMO the 3 top Cs would consist of Pavelski, Eichel and Matthews with the order dependent on their chemistry with the top wingers, with both Larkin & Gally being forced to the wing and having a vet C like Backes control the 4th line

Edit: maybe Matthews would line up on the wing since he's shown the ability to excel at that in international play

Last edited:

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Team USA would be smart to play Matthews at C for the full 60 minutes every game

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Eichel probably...Matthews may have to wait another 4 years. Pavelski, Backes, Stephan may still be in the plans of USA Hockey.

Why?

Matthews is only one year removed from Eichel and will have three seasons under his belt by the time of the games.

Matthews + Eichel will be centering the top two lines on team USA baring some sort of injury.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Can't see either of them not making the team

they may end up like Canada and have 11 centers on the team and have a couple play wing tho.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Agreed, he doesn't have the 200' game that Matthews brings.

He or Galchenyuk would make perfect wingers for Auston though. Would make quite the line.

Yup agreed. Typically you want the better defensive player to be center, when comparing two similarly skilled players

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Why?

Matthews is only one year removed from Eichel and will have three seasons under his belt by the time of the games.

Matthews + Eichel will be centering the top two lines on team USA baring some sort of injury.

Politics. It's not unheard of for the young guys to have to wait their turn. He'd undoubtedly be ready talent-wise...just depends on the Good 'Ol Boys in charge.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
His skillset translates better to wing than Eichel's.

I agree that Auston is better at adapting than Eichel, but you don't move you're superior all around player to the wing to accommodate someone else's shortcomings.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
His skillset translates better to wing than Eichel's.

Matthews is definitely more versatile than Eichel.

But why would you use an inferior center in Eichel when you have a better one that you move to wing? I think we'll see Jack on Matthew's wing IF team USA doesn't want to keep them as a 1-2 punch down the middle.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
Pavelski, Eichel, Matthews and Larkin could be the centres to build the team around

Larkin should not be on the team....maybe on the 4th line as a winger. Pavelski will probably be a winger aswell . For me it will be:

Galch
Eichel
Matthews

(No real first line enough good wingers to have 3 balanced lines)

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Larkin should not be on the team....maybe on the 4th line as a winger. Pavelski will probably be a winger aswell . For me it will be:

Galch
Eichel
Matthews

(No real first line enough good wingers to have 3 balanced lines)

Kane, Wheeler, Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Kessel, Pavelski as the top 9 wingers, that's a pretty stacked offense tbh.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Aladyyn sure gets worked up over this lol.

Yes they will both be there as centers.

In 2018 they likely will be top 10 centers in the NHL

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If the NHL does indeed go to the Olympics, then yes, those 2 will be the Top 2 centers for the U.S.

If the NHL doesn't go to the Olympics, the NHL/Hockey Canada/USAHockey should partner up for a 8 game Summit Series. 4 games in the States and 4 in Canada. And have Crosby and McDavid so toe to toe with the American duo.

probably make more coin off that than any gimmicky World Cup.

With the arrival of Eichel, Mathews, Werenski, Jones among other great young American players a Summit Series between the US and Canada would be great hockey and drama. And nasty!

Games in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and one of Winnipeg, Calgary or Edmonton. I'd vote for Winnipeg but with the new building and McDavid in Edmonton I'm sure they'd get a game. US games in New York, Chicago, Boston and one of LA/Detroit/Minneapolis/Buffalo/Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad