Olympics: Team USA 2018 Roster Discussion

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Team USA is a joke so they probably want some grit grinders instead of Matthews and Eichel. If they want to actually win something for once, Matthews is playing.

Maybe keep Eichel as an extra forward in case Abdelkader or Dustin Brown get injured.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
With the arrival of Eichel, Mathews, Werenski, Jones among other great young American players a Summit Series between the US and Canada would be great hockey and drama. And nasty!

Games in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and one of Winnipeg, Calgary or Edmonton. I'd vote for Winnipeg but with the new building and McDavid in Edmonton I'm sure they'd get a game. US games in New York, Chicago, Boston and one of LA/Detroit/Minneapolis/Buffalo/Pittsburgh.

I'd bet on LA being that 4th game so that there's a west coast city getting a game.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
The US traditionally has more depth at wing, doesn't make sense to me to move one of them over.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I was just thinking about this morning when was the last time Team USA had a truly elite Centre Modano? Eichel and Matthews has the potential to be elite and are pretty good right now

I would argue that USA has only had one truly elite center, Pat LaFontaine. I would put Modano a tier below elite, personally.

If you consider Bryan Trottier American, then it would be two elite centers. Trottier played for both Canada and USA during his international hockey career.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Aladyyn sure gets worked up over this lol.

Yes they will both be there as centers.

In 2018 they likely will be top 10 centers in the NHL

Oh look, a reasonable post that I can completely agree with (except for the first sentence obviously :D)

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I don't think Team USA can really afford to not spread their center depth down the middle if they want to compete with Team Canada. I think it's best to keep Eichel and Matthews in their natural positions

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
The US traditionally has more depth at wing, doesn't make sense to me to move one of them over.

Neither will be moving over, but with Matthews, Eichel, Galchenyuk, Kesler, Pavelski etc. something has to give.

The most logical scenario would see Galchenyuk moved to the wing, IMO.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I see what you did there ;)

But yes, USA's got quite the group of young Cs. Those 2 + Galchenyuk, and another high end talent like Keller coming through the system.

Galchenyuk is more likely to see time at RW, imo.

He's the kind of center you need to play your system around, because he's not your prototypical "fast center that dishes the puck". He's a shooter, like Stamkos and like Stammer, he'll play on the wing.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Tram USA screwed up their team this fall...what makes anyone think things will be different in the Olympics?

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Anyone think Tkachuk could make the team in a lesser role?

By all accounts he's doing well in CGY and brings the sort of hard-nosed mentality that management seems to like. Not sure what his development curve looks like, but I'd much prefer him over someone like Abdelkader (although I'm fond of him as a Wings fan).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If Matthews were Canadian he'd be going to the Olympics, for sure he goes (Eichel too) for the US.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I also think it is more likely Matthews would play wing (I think they both will play center but if one plays wing I'd guess Matthews). Not because he is worse, but because Eichel is worse when moved to wing. We all saw at the World Cup that Eichel wasn't ever really able to get into a groove on wing and Matthews was. This isn't about "accommodating" an inferior player in Eichel. It's about putting the team in the best position to succeed. The best way to do that is to put Eichel and Matthews into positions where they can both be threats. Would Matthews be better at C than wing? Yes, but is he so much better that he makes up for Eichel's drop in production from being shifted to wing? I don't think so.

Once again I feel they will both be playing C regardless.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hockey Canada is an old boys' club, no way Matthews would make it (regardless of whether he'll be good enough or not)

They also know how to win, 100% he would make it. Would they hold McDavid back?

Wouldn't hurt the Coach sees what he brings every night as well.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
They will be 1-2 center, both will be major factors and centerpiece, both will probably be on PP1. USA is going to finally have that top end talent that will allow them to compete consistently with Canada.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Oh look, a reasonable post that I can completely agree with (except for the first sentence obviously :D)

IMO they both play C but if they both had to play on the same line it just makes sense to put the faster player(Eichel) on the wing.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I think a line of J.G-Matthews-Eichel would be deadly.

J.G/Matthews would be hitting Eichel with passes that get him in alone cuz his speed.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
IMO they both play C but if they both had to play on the same line it just makes sense to put the faster player(Eichel) on the wing.

The only situations I can see them on the ice at the same time is PP and trailing situations late in the game. Positions don't mean much in those situations anyways.

I also expect Okposo to make it and play on Eichel's RW because that would be awesome.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

and to keep the higher IQ player at center.

in the long run Matthews will be the number 1 center and Jack #2. but at this point, I'd move Jack to the wing before Matthews.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I think a line of J.G-Matthews-Eichel would be deadly.

J.G/Matthews would be hitting Eichel with passes that get him in alone cuz his speed.

Eichel didn't mesh with Gaudreau at all at the WCoH and Olympics is too short to try and make that work imo.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
and to keep the higher IQ player at center.

in the long run Matthews will be the number 1 center and Jack #2. but at this point, I'd move Jack to the wing before Matthews.

I can't see their being a #1 and clear cut #2. I expect Matthews and Eichel to each center a line and their ice time should be close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad