Prospect Info: Swedish Prospects 2021-22 Season Pt. 2

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
As fans we need to stop clamoring to trade players and saying we have depth coming over when none of these guys have even had a training camp here yet. Guys like soderblom look great rn, but pump the brakes. They ain’t replacing Zadina next year that’s for sure. There’s no reason at all to trade Zadina right now.
There’s no reason to “actively shop or sell low on Zadina” in my mind. I think he will eventually start hitting the net more but at this point if a team calls about him or a team asks for him as part of a package for a hockey trade, he is far from untouchable.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There’s no reason to “actively shop or sell low on Zadina” in my mind. I think he will eventually start hitting the net more but at this point if a team calls about him or a team asks for him as part of a package for a hockey trade, he is far from untouchable.

Of course he is not untouchable.

And what teams are calling, is more proven players, like Fabbri.

Yzerman won't trade Zadina, until he is doing good. And when Zadina is doing good, we should maybe keep him.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Of course he is not untouchable.

And what teams are calling, is more proven players, like Fabbri.

Yzerman won't trade Zadina, until he is doing good. And when Zadina is doing good, we should maybe keep him.

We thought the same thing about Mantha.

"He's playing like shit but we can't sell him low!"
"But he just got 3 points last night! We'd be crazy to trade him now!"
"Mantha is back to sucking again! This is a career low for him!"

We traded that bum for Vrana who had 8 goals in 11 games for us. AND we got a 1st and Panik out of it. (Honestly I wouldn't mind Richard Panik in our lineup right now.)

My point is, Zadina is a player and not a stock. Different organizations are going to value him differently. If the right offer comes along then we should consider moving him, just like we did Mantha.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Mantha was 0.70 points per game player for Detroit, when traded.

Also the size/reach/screening thing. Intangibles. He had value.

Zadina has to raise at same level.

Mantha at 21-year old had played 10 games in NHL. It's kind of weird how Zadina is doing better at same age.

Reactions: Crunchy

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Not gonna lie, thought he was 90%+ chance of a bust after his first year, glad to see him playing well. We are going to have an insanely big and fast d core in a couple years if a few hit.
And other than the turnover that setup Elmer's goal I thought Wallinder was spectacular the rest of the game. With the standout moment when he won the puck in his own zone and with his strong skating drew a penalty.

The gap between him and Johansson has tighten really quickly imo.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Previous to this season, when I watched Wallinder, he was often thrilling in the offensive zone, lots of skill with the puck. But in the defensive zone he was terrifying, often being completely lost. Which parts of his game have improved this season? Based on last season, his play in his own zone had a looooooong way to go, and I find it very hard to believe that any improvement in that facet of his game has been so great as to negate it as a concern.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Previous to this season, when I watched Wallinder, he was often thrilling in the offensive zone, lots of skill with the puck. But in the defensive zone he was terrifying, often being completely lost. Which parts of his game have improved this season? Based on last season, his play in his own zone had a looooooong way to go, and I find it very hard to believe that any improvement in that facet of his game has been so great as to negate it as a concern.

It’s night and day. He’s playing with much more pace and urgency in the defensive zone. Like...100% better.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
his gap control, his puck battles, his use of his body to protect the puck, and his puck moving, making quick decisive breakouts.

It's truly remarkable, he was completely overmatched last year at Modo. im really interested in cam abbott, if blash doesnt work out.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
his gap control, his puck battles, his use of his body to protect the puck, and his puck moving, making quick decisive breakouts.

It's truly remarkable, he was completely overmatched last year at Modo. im really interested in cam abbott, WHEN blash doesnt work out.

Fixed your post homie.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I wouldn't say he's negated all concern by any means. But like I others said there's a huge improvement. Mainly I think they've worked on his positioning/gap-control and just simplifying the way he plays defensively.
He's still kind of a 2nd/3rd pairing guy at the SHL level so there's a long way to go. But just based on this season I honestly think Wallinder has been better defensively than Albert Johansson.

Reactions: wingerdinger

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Really good shot, has Johansson grown a little more? I remember this being a discussion when he was drafted as something that would likely happen given his family and I think he has grown a little. He looks a little bigger this year again than I remembered last year, filling in nicely while keeping his high-end skating.

Last edited:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
As fans we need to stop clamoring to trade players and saying we have depth coming over when none of these guys have even had a training camp here yet. Guys like soderblom look great rn, but pump the brakes. They ain’t replacing Zadina next year that’s for sure. There’s no reason at all to trade Zadina right now.

Vrana replaces Zadina in the top 6.

Reactions: golffuul

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Vrana replaces Zadina in the top 6.
My best guess as to lines, for the top 9 next year, should be (based on development thus far and assumed improvement/continued growth):

Bert-Larkin-Raymond
Beggren-Suter-Vrana
Soderblom-Veleno-Zadina

Reactions: WF19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad