WJC: Sweden 2018 Roster Talk

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm curious why you think so and if there is any reason other than scoring numbers?

Are top 9 forwards not judged on their scoring?

Player who starts out with an insanely high shooting percentage for the first few weeks, next month or two the numbers start to slowly dwindle. Will the team let them dwindle all season, does the team move that younger player to a different league or will the player start to figure out the NHL after its adjusted to them? It all depends.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Are top 9 forwards not judged on their scoring?

Player who starts out with an insanely high shooting percentage for the first few weeks, next month or two the numbers start to slowly dwindle. Will the team let them dwindle all season, does the team move that younger player to a different league or will the player start to figure out the NHL after its adjusted to them? It all depends.

I’m not sure what you are describing suggests the collapse that would send him all the way to a junior tournament. With the exception of the very best players don’t all players ride peaks and valleys over the course of a season? There is also the issue that he is not a passenger but he creates offense which as a small 19 year old can’t be easy. He’s far from a top player right now but the largest part of his development curve is still ahead of him. If you watched NJ games you’d also see him killing penalties and looking at ease in 5 on 5 play. Stat watching doesn’t tell the story with him or Hischier. I’ll assume that your criticism is well founded and not the result of a rooting bias.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m not sure what you are describing suggests the collapse that would send him all the way to a junior tournament. With the exception of the very best players don’t all players ride peaks and valleys over the course of a season? There is also the issue that he is not a passenger but he creates offense which as a small 19 year old can’t be easy. He’s far from a top player right now but the largest part of his development curve is still ahead of him. If you watched NJ games you’d also see him killing penalties and looking at ease in 5 on 5 play. Stat watching doesn’t tell the story with him or Hischier. I’ll assume that your criticism is well founded and not the result of a rooting bias.

Thats all nice, but scoring matters.

Bratt isn't some hotshot prospect. As I'm sure you know, him making the NHL to start the season was a surprise. He has to start scoring again, otherwise he's liable to be sent down, like all rookies are. There's a month to go, and recently he's not been scoring. You are sure he won't play at the WJC, I am saying there's a chance he might.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Thats all nice, but scoring matters.

Bratt isn't some hotshot prospect. As I'm sure you know, him making the NHL to start the season was a surprise. He has to start scoring again, otherwise he's liable to be sent down, like all rookies are. There's a month to go, and recently he's not been scoring. You are sure he won't play at the WJC, I am saying there's a chance he might.

Didn’t say I was sure. Said I thought your description of his play did not suggest to me he would be sent down. As a fan it’s really not for you to say what matters on an NHL team. If the coaches and GM are keeping Zacha around it would surprise me if Bratt was released. To some extent you may be looking at this through blue shirt colored glasses. Devils aren’t a mature team and what is the alternative to Bratt? Jimmy Hayes? Noesen? I also specifically said he’s far from a top player. Watch some NJ games and you’ll understand how important he is. Might be different if Johansson and Palms weren’t out and if the depth players were better but they aren’t.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
This to me looks like by far the most impressive team on paper heading into the tournament. Realistically could have the best forward and defensemen of the tournament and that is not including Nylander. Add to that an extremely deep back end. This could be the year they exercise those medal round demons.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I just watched a New Jersey game last night and Bratt was on the top line with Hall and Hischier. The looked damn impressive, too. I think the odds of him getting a release for this tourney are extremely slim.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Sweden seems to have a really good team this year, especially the projected first line and defensive pairing.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
This to me looks like by far the most impressive team on paper heading into the tournament. Realistically could have the best forward and defensemen of the tournament and that is not including Nylander. Add to that an extremely deep back end. This could be the year they exercise those medal round demons.

Don't know if this team is better than those of the past few years to be honest. There's some bigger names this year, but at the same time the forward depth behind Nylander - Andersson - Pettersson isn't very good. A healthy Boqvist is a minimum requirement for us going far this year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
For those who get to see Hogberg play, can you tell us his he has played this year....and what upside you think he has?

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
For those who get to see Hogberg play, can you tell us his he has played this year....and what upside you think he has?
He's played with a lot more poise than previous years, at times he still gets overwhelmed and thinks to much causing turnovers or bad positioning. His skating could use some improvement, I think the puck skills and passing are there, it's mainly about gaining more experience so he doesn't get overwhelmed as much.

Reactions: Tripod

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
J. Boqvist- Andersson- Nylander
Lundestrom- Karlstrom- Pettersson
Soderlund- Davidsson- Elvenes
Jonsson-Fjallby- Lindstrom- Steen
Zetterlund

Dahlin- Liljegren
Brannstrom- Westerlund
Hogberg- A. Boqvist
Cederholm

Gustavsson
Eriksson Ek
Larsson

I’m not sure that Bratt will he sent back but if he is obviously he has a spot on the team. This is the roster that I’d send based on what I’ve seen.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
J. Boqvist- Andersson- Nylander
Lundestrom- Karlstrom- Pettersson
Soderlund- Davidsson- Elvenes
Jonsson-Fjallby- Lindstrom- Steen
Zetterlund

Dahlin- Liljegren
Brannstrom- Westerlund
Hogberg- A. Boqvist
Cederholm

Gustavsson
Eriksson Ek
Larsson

I’m not sure that Bratt will he sent back but if he is obviously he has a spot on the team. This is the roster that I’d send based on what I’ve seen.
Olofsson hållander?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad