WJC: Sweden 2018 Roster Talk

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Dahlin have been pretty much flawless on that PP and he's better at dictating the play and less prone to make mistakes than Liljegren is, which is important if your PP is going to work that well. In fact, Liljegren did get to play with some of the 1st PP players in the 1st game, but was involved in a conceded goal that definitely could and should have been avoided.

The goal in the Belarus game was a direct result of the Swedish forward getting a lazy pass picked off by a Belarus player. It was not a goal that Liljegren was at fault for.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Their PP was garbage yesterday and had Sweden been playing a Canada or USA they would of been dominated. Changing up the PP by limiting Dahlin, who had a meh game, and allowing another D ice-time isn’t about schowcasing him (He’s already drafted and doing great in the AHL so where’s the logic in that?), it’s about recognizing when things aren’t working and could use a shakeup.
Dahlin was completely fine offensively, he was just weak defensively. The reason I said showcasing is the guy I responded to seems to think dahlin wasn't giving liljegren a chance to show his abilities. Dahlin is the best PP defenseman in the tournament and he should get the most time, full stop

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
The goal in the Belarus game was a direct result of the Swedish forward getting a lazy pass picked off by a Belarus player. It was not a goal that Liljegren was at fault for.
Yes Nylander was the one who first and foremost should be blamed for that goal. But it was a weak effort from Liljegren trying to stop the belarusian player. Considering how good of a skater he is, instead of committing the interception of the puck, he could have just backchecked instead. Giving Belarus no chance of a breakaway at all, or at least making it considerably harder for them to score, which it wasn't now since he was all alone.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Their PP was garbage yesterday and had Sweden been playing a Canada or USA they would of been dominated. Changing up the PP by limiting Dahlin, who had a meh game, and allowing another D ice-time isn’t about schowcasing him (He’s already drafted and doing great in the AHL so where’s the logic in that?), it’s about recognizing when things aren’t working and could use a shakeup.

Cmon man, they went two for four on the pp. It wasnt garbage.

The first two periods were definately meh in terms of the overall performance by the swedes. Third period was dominanta though.

The wjc is about winning for the swedes, and they have a better chance of doing so playing Dahlin over Timothy.

Mar 14, 2015

Haha well, ok..

latest

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Montén and his staff have been questionable so far. Psychologically and mentally, they might be very good. But tactically? I will now adress the coaching staff at the boss, Montén. His lineup decisions that he managed to create were obvious (like keeping the Djurgården line intact, go figure). I still don't know if it's wise to keep our two superstar defensemen on the same line, but I don't disagree with him. They are very dominant when they're on the ice. It still feels like they at least should be tried on two separate lines to bring more stability and elite puck moving skills on two defensive pairings though.

But as for waiting this long to obviously play Lias Andersson as #1C? He is our best center, so what the heck? And how the heck did Moverare make the team? How does he improve the lineup, compared to the defensemen left at home?

When Lias plays #1C, Sweden has two lines that can dominate the opposition 5v5. Previously, they only had one. The defense is nowhere as solid as it should be, if you compare the players Montén had to choose from.

Sweden is undefeated because of its best players so far, not the coaching staff, certainly not because of the forwards coach.

Last edited:

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Yes Nylander was the one who first and foremost should be blamed for that goal. But it was a weak effort from Liljegren trying to stop the belarusian player. Considering how good of a skater he is, instead of committing the interception of the puck, he could have just backchecked instead. Giving Belarus no chance of a breakaway at all, or at least making it considerably harder for them to score, which it wasn't now since he was all alone.

Yes he stumbled, but to start the play was a bad interception where a) the Belarusian player has an extra step on Liljegren, and b) the Belarusian player is already moving forward before Liljegren has a chance realize the pass coming to him was picked off.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Liljegren's play reached an MVP level today. Must have made his biggest fans DieTomi, crossbownerf and grestkidoo super happy ;)

Nylander with another big game as well. My pick for Sweden's MVP in the tournament so far.
You may as well put DDRHockey on that list.
Honestly no one is saying Lilly is as good as Dahlin(he isnt and thats obvious, so im not sure why he keeps going after anyone who gives even a little criticism to Dahlin, and automatically makes it, oh you must think Liljegren is better then him)

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
You may as well put DDRHockey on that list.
Honestly no one is saying Lilly is as good as Dahlin(he isnt and thats obvious, so im not sure why he keeps going after anyone who gives even a little criticism to Dahlin, and automatically makes it, oh you must think Liljegren is better then him)

Let's not forget pekkafromswe ;) Dahlin is the better prospect and there is zero argument. However Liljegren is an elite prospect in his own right and today was the best Dman on the ice.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Let's not forget pekkafromswe ;) Dahlin is the better prospect and there is zero argument. However Liljegren is an elite prospect in his own right and today was the best Dman on the ice.
Dont know him so cant comment, but probably follows the same script common of Anti Leafs posters;)
I will be doing another shift by shift analysis of Lilly either tonight or tomorrow so I will take a closer look at him but looks like he had another great game.
I will be post the shift by shift analysis of Lilly against Switzerland tonight.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Wow looks like people shouldn't have lost their minds about Liljegren playing on PP1 over Dahlin because he got some shifts there tonight

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
We better win it this year because next year we will be bad. Adam boqvist only impact D and forwards seems like a big questionmark.
I'd be a bit surprised if both Brannstrom, and Liljegren are in the NHL next year. I'd say the odds are probably higher you get both back than neither. I'd be a bit surprised if Brannstrom is NHL ready for next year. I can't think of many defenders with his build who were capable of playing in the league at 19.

Granted, the forward crop looks terrible unless there are some massive developments. I'm sort of curious if Alexander Holz can pull a Dahlin and crack the roster at 16. Its a long way out, and massive steps are required. My guess is if he has any shot at making it, he will be at next years Hlinka.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Wow looks like people shouldn't have lost their minds about Liljegren playing on PP1 over Dahlin because he got some shifts there tonight
He actually played WITH Dahlin on a few PPs from what I remember.

Same ice-time difference as previous games between Dahlin/Brannstrom and Liljegren, so Leafs fans can calm down.

Liljegren's play reached an MVP level today. Must have made his biggest fans DieTomi, crossbownerf and grestkidoo super happy ;)

Nylander with another big game as well. My pick for Sweden's MVP in the tournament so far.

Not sure why you're grouping me with those 2. I like Liljegren, just annoying when Leafs fans pretend he's better than Dahlin.

Last edited:
Reactions: DDRhockey

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Injuries piling up. First boqvist now andersson.

Time to move pettersson to C.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

Nylander?! Nylander has been a disappointment. The number of good shifts he has had are completely overshadowed by his garbage shifts, where he passes the puck to nobody or stickhandles himself into submission, to then follow it up with backchecking like grandma. He's playing disinterested, slumps with his shoulders... no way he's a MVP, not even top 5. He's been collecting his points, that's it.

Dahlin, Brännström, Jonsson Fjällby, Andersson, Liljegren and Pettersson, then you have Nylander on the MVP list. And no, I didn't write them in any particular order.

Typical that our best center is injured at the last second of that game. I think the hit by the Russian was illegal as well, it was a boarding. The center depth this tournament has been really bad.

Last edited:

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
On a night where the PP was absolute shit even with Liljegren on it. It's not like he never was an alternative. I just don't think he's a fit on that 1st PP. When the 1st PP have dominated previously, it has been because of how well they move the puck. Dahlin, Pettersson and Nylander all have the ability of making the decisive passes that ends up with grade a scoring chances. Then you have Andersson and Zetterlund doing the dirty work around the crease, retrieving lose pucks and putting pressure on opponents. When Liljegren came on, he was just trying to get shots on goal. Which can be great, but there was no traffic whatsoever in front, so most of these were just easy saves for the russian goalie. Sweden made it extremely easy for him the whole evening by just having no traffic at all.

I'd still roll with the usual 1st unit and have Liljegren with Brännström on the 2nd unit instead.

Reactions: JimboA

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Nylander?! Nylander has been a disappointment. The number of good shifts he has had are completely overshadowed by his garbage shifts, where he passes the puck to nobody or stickhandles himself into submission, to then follow it up with backchecking like grandma. He's playing disinterested, slumps with his shoulders... no way he's a MVP, not even top 5. He's been collecting his points, that's it.

Dahlin, Brännström, Jonsson Fjällby, Andersson, Liljegren and Pettersson, then you have Nylander on the MVP list. And no, I didn't write them in any particular order.

Typical that our best center is injured at the last second of that game. I think the hit by the Russian was illegal as well, it was a boarding. The center depth this tournament has been really bad.
Yeah nylander has beem garbage

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Liked what I saw from guys like Steen, Söderlund, Zetterlund and Gustafsson in this last game. Those along with Fjällby and Davidsson are pretty darn hard to play against. This was a great game to have before the knockout stage. Sweden has absolutely murdered the Slovaks in previous qurterfinals, I hope they get challenged this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad