WJC: Sweden 2018 Roster Talk

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
I honestly didn't think Brannstrom was that poor as I saw in the GDT. Sure it was his worst game but I still think he was fine. I'd like to see more out of him in the final though.

He was easily the worst swedish player today. Doesn't matter all that much though he'll rebound big time. Just looked half asleep out there, it is bound to happen to players like him sometimes.

Overall great team effort over 60 minutes. Never seen penalty killing like this in the WJC before.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
How exactly has he been inconsistent? He has points in every game except for one, nobody has been more consistent than Alex at this tourney.
How about losing the puck every time he touches it for 10-15 minutes at the time? He is good and part of the back bone of this team but not the greatest by any means.
There are many players with lots of points in this tourney, that doesn't mean they are MVP.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Congrats Sverige !! As a Bruins fan I am very impressed with 6th round pick Oskar Steen. Team is full marks for the win, they hustle all over the ice.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
As long as Team Sweden, ie. the rest of the team, plays like #22 The Mullet Head Jonsson, a real blågul Warrior, all ful out with intensity and will they will be on a cakewalk to Gold. Congrats, boys of the Norden, Skellefteå, Luleå and all.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Very active coaching this game, I liked it. Just don't play Moverare, the team just collapses in front of our net when he's on the ice. Not only is he terribly slow, he also doesn't move his feet.

Reactions: Appleyard

sleepers

May 16, 2013
Stockholm
Do not at all agree with all the hate Moverare is getting. I thought he was one of the best players on the ice yesterday. I think you're all way in deep with the set-up play, not looking at the defensive display that he has shown. May be a bit slow and static. I think that he can afford it since he's very often in the right place at the right time. Plenty of players I would swap before him.

Snuuzi

Nov 3, 2017
I know we have hated alot on Montén but you gotta give it to him. The roleplayers he picked are really wreaking havoc. Now we just need Dahlin to get that goal hes been after in the final. Golden goal for the highlight reel. Please and thank you :popcorn:o_O:eek:

Reactions: JBeast

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
I know we have hated alot on Montén but you gotta give it to him. The roleplayers he picked are really wreaking havoc. Now we just need Dahlin to get that goal hes been after in the final. Golden goal for the highlight reel. Please and thank you :popcorn:o_O:eek:
True. I would still have picked Elvenes over Lindström though.

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
I wonder if any Swedish fans can tell me how Linus Lindstrom has played? Haven’t heard much about him since he was drafted, all I know is he’s a good two-way player. Much appreciated.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
The Spirit of the village Tärendo, up north, with you, Team Sweden, and there is no fear of losing. And you will prevail.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
I wonder if any Swedish fans can tell me how Linus Lindstrom has played? Haven’t heard much about him since he was drafted, all I know is he’s a good two-way player. Much appreciated.
He's basically a fourth line center put in a position way out of his comfort zone on the first and second line the experiment hasn't been fruitful. He would probably do quite well in a pure shut down role alá Marcus Krüger though. Good hockey-sense, but lacks the intensity and/or skill to be anything more than a fourth liner at this point.

Reactions: johnnystormcgy

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010

I have to agree with this. I have never been a fan of Montén, but it is quite clear that he has developed as a coach and as a leader. I think he has done a great job so far this tournament, hopefully he can help the team to win the last game as well. Either way, gold or silver, I think he should be happy with what he has accomplished with this group.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Haters? Are you serious? This is without a doubt his worst tournament out of the 3 he have played. He carried the offense last year with Eriksson-Ek. He isn't doing it now. Was absolutely horrible against Slovakia. You would think that a player who have experience from 2 previous tournaments would be at his best in his 3rd. Doesn't seem that rare though that a player who has previously been good in the WJC struggles in his 2nd or even 3rd tournament. He was better today, but you're taking the piss if you seriously believe that he's without a doubt Swedens MVP this tournament. And im sure him being the MVP doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the tournament is being played in Buffalo. Just like with William when the tournament was being played in Toronto.

As for the game, Gustavsson was great and deserves some serious credit for his play in the tournament so far. Thought the goalie situation was probably the biggest questionmark heading in, but he has been very solid so far. Looks calm and makes the saves he has to make. Apart from a bad rebound which resulted in a goal against Russia, he has been nearly flawless. He's the reason Sweden won the game today IMO, even though it was a good team effort overall. Didn't break the WJC record for most amount of saves, but he made big and important saves at crucial times of the game. Game could have gotten ugly if USA scores at any of these points. When they do score, the game is pretty much already decided.

Nylander is better now than he was 2 years ago. He also has a lot of people trashing him in this forum for some reason, it's kind of funny.

If he had a decent C instead of some 4th line grinding scrub and (lately) an injured Lias then chances are he'd be playing even better right now.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Nylander is better now than he was 2 years ago. He also has a lot of people trashing him in this forum for some reason, it's kind of funny.

If he had a decent C instead of some 4th line grinding scrub and (lately) an injured Lias then chances are he'd be playing even better right now.
Whether he's a better player now than he was 2 years ago is completely irrelevant. Cause he wasn't as much of a factor now as he was back then and didn't perform as good. The previous 2 tournaments, Alex looked like the type of guy that could decide the games. Scoring the big goals, making the big plays, just being a clutch player. He hasn't been that this year. In the end, he ended up scoring 1 goal compared to him scoring 4 and 5 in the previous 2 tournaments. He blew plenty of great scoring chances this year and took plenty of bad shots that just didn't result in anything. Wasn't a gamebreaker at all on this team.

If you compare him with someone like Pettersson who i thought had a similar role on the line in this team, and wasn't really great in this tournament either especially based on expectations. Well even in the games where you hadn't seen a lot of him, he could still be the guy stepping up making a decisive play that resulted in something. He had a different poise and aura with the puck, when he got going you knew things could get dangerous. When Nylander was trying, you never really felt the same confidence like he was going to score or anything. He didn't feel dangerous, even though he's obviously a skilled player. He hasn't been straight up bad, he has been pretty good but not much more than that. No one should be able to say with a straight face that he has been the best player on this team.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Absolutely gutted about the loss. Definitely one of the toughest since i started watching the World Juniors, only one that is arguably tougher is the one 4 years ago when we absolutely dominated the final. In the end it's hard to not think anything other than that this team deserved better, especially considering how well they played in the final. Some of the previous swedish WJC teams might have been more impressive at times, but this team felt different.

Didn't expect them to do so well this year, and at times nothing really indicated that they would, but at the same time you had a good feeling. And that's coming from someone who sees himself as quite pessimistic. They didn't always dominate teams, but they always worked hard. They didn't mind winning their games a little ugly which isn't something im used to seeing. Then you have a captain like Andersson who just sends the right signals both on and off the ice. He's the symbol for this team with the unmatched competiveness and leadership that he shows. Can't believe there are people that questions him for tossing the medal, calling him disrespectful? You're a bunch of losers. It's his medal, he should be allowed to do whatever the f he wants with it. He doesn't owe anyone anything.

Thought Rangers reached pretty hard when they picked him 7th overall but man this guy went straight through my heart. Im proud of this team.

Last edited:

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Think this was Swedens last shot at a gold for the next 2-3 years. Not too fond of the coming forward generations plus with Dahlin likely to be in the NHL

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Think this was Swedens last shot at a gold for the next 2-3 years. Not too fond of the coming forward generations plus with Dahlin likely to be in the NHL
Andersson mentioned something like this when asked about tossing his medal. Can't find the exact quote/tweet but he talked about how this age group lost in the medal game for the U-17 and U-18 and that this was their last chance to come out on the other side

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad