WJC: Sweden 2018 Roster Talk

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I haven't gotten a chance to catch Sweden play yet...but how has Jesper Boqvist looked?

Huge disappointment in my eyes, but I haven't watched every minute of every game. I guess he'll get some leeway because of recently returning of injury, but still, I expected more out of him. I thought he was going to provide some secondary scoring behind EP, Nylander and Andersson but right now he's tied for last in scoring among forwards with Linus Lindström...

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
N
Huge disappointment in my eyes, but I haven't watched every minute of every game. I guess he'll get some leeway because of recently returning of injury, but still, I expected more out of him. I thought he was going to provide some secondary scoring behind EP, Nylander and Andersson but right now he's tied for last in scoring among forwards with Linus Lindström...

Not the answer I wanted to hear haha. But I'd imagine it's pretty difficult to miss three months and then come back for a quck two/three weeks before heading out to the WJC. Hopefully that's the case.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Boqvist is such a perimeter player, he just never goes to the dirty areas. Not surprised at all that he's being outscored by our grinders. I remember how was frustrated I was watching him at the U18 WC.

He did score a nice goal against Belarus though.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
The most tiresome thing about the tournament this year is the medial overrating of the "defensively sound" defensemen on Sweden namely (Sellgren, Lindström and Moverare). They are constantly gushing over their performance, saying how important they are for the balance of the team and how important it is to have guys like that, when you have risky players like Dahlin, Liljegren and Brännström. Yet every time a goal against is scored I seem to see atleast one of the "defensively sound" dmen out there.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
The most tiresome thing about the tournament this year is the medial overrating of the "defensively sound" defensemen on Sweden namely (Sellgren, Lindström and Moverare). They are constantly gushing over their performance, saying how important they are for the balance of the team and how important it is to have guys like that, when you have risky players like Dahlin, Liljegren and Brännström. Yet every time a goal against is scored I seem to see atleast one of the "defensively sound" dmen out there.

Nobody mentions Sellgren, ever. He was one of our best players against Slovakia.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Sellgren has been fine and replacing him with someone else would not have made this team better.
That wasn't the point. The point was that defensive defensemen aren't really as effective as the media like to claim, and Sellgren isn't really the problem maybe it's slightly unfair to lump him in with Lindström and Moverare.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
WJC scorekeeers messing with Sweden again, Liljegren's assist on the second goal hasn't been added yet.

As for player of the tournament voting: I kept telling his haters, Nylander is getting it done when it counts. He was my pick for Swedish MVP from the start, and the voters recognized his consistent performance. All the whining about "shoulder slumping" looks real funny now.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
WJC scorekeeers messing with Sweden again, Liljegren's assist on the second goal hasn't been added yet.

As for player of the tournament voting: I kept telling his haters, Nylander is getting it done when it counts. He was my pick for Swedish MVP from the start, and the voters recognized his consistent performance. All the whining about "shoulder slumping" looks real funny now.

No way he is the MVP. Inconsistent and has been out performed by numerous players.
He hasn't been bad overall but there sure are better options for MVP

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
No way he is the MVP. Inconsistent and has been out performed by numerous players.
He hasn't been bad overall but there sure are better options for MVP

How exactly has he been inconsistent? He has points in every game except for one, nobody has been more consistent than Alex at this tourney.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Moverare is such a pylon.

Nylander obviously got the award to boost his confidence for the GMG. He's not in top form but I was very impressed by his compete level today. Brännström didn't play fantastic today but he's been our best player this tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I honestly didn't think Brannstrom was that poor as I saw in the GDT. Sure it was his worst game but I still think he was fine. I'd like to see more out of him in the final though.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden

Haters? Are you serious? This is without a doubt his worst tournament out of the 3 he have played. He carried the offense last year with Eriksson-Ek. He isn't doing it now. Was absolutely horrible against Slovakia. You would think that a player who have experience from 2 previous tournaments would be at his best in his 3rd. Doesn't seem that rare though that a player who has previously been good in the WJC struggles in his 2nd or even 3rd tournament. He was better today, but you're taking the piss if you seriously believe that he's without a doubt Swedens MVP this tournament. And im sure him being the MVP doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the tournament is being played in Buffalo. Just like with William when the tournament was being played in Toronto.

As for the game, Gustavsson was great and deserves some serious credit for his play in the tournament so far. Thought the goalie situation was probably the biggest questionmark heading in, but he has been very solid so far. Looks calm and makes the saves he has to make. Apart from a bad rebound which resulted in a goal against Russia, he has been nearly flawless. He's the reason Sweden won the game today IMO, even though it was a good team effort overall. Didn't break the WJC record for most amount of saves, but he made big and important saves at crucial times of the game. Game could have gotten ugly if USA scores at any of these points. When they do score, the game is pretty much already decided.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->