WJC: Sweden 2018 Roster Talk

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I also feel Hogberg should get some of Moverare's minutes.

Liljegren had a difficult time babysitting Moverare last night. The combination is especially puzzling considering the Hogberg-Liljegren pairing has played quite well on multiple occasions this year.

Moverare should probably not even be on the team... let alone top 4.

I mean...

Jakob Stenqvist, Filip Westerlund ,Victor Berglund, Tom Hedberg, Adam Ginning, Viktor Grahn, Jacob Cederholm, Rasmus Sandin, Adam Boqvist, Jacob Ragnarsson, Henrik Malmström... all at home.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Moverare should probably not even be on the team... let alone top 4.

I mean...

Jakob Stenqvist, Filip Westerlund ,Victor Berglund, Tom Hedberg, Adam Ginning, Viktor Grahn, Jacob Cederholm, Rasmus Sandin, Adam Boqvist, Jacob Ragnarsson, Henrik Malmström... all at home.

What? Most of those guys shouldn't be anywhere close to this team.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I love the upside of this team. No opponent is going to run them over if they play like they did in the 1st and parts of the 3rd period. Fjällby and Davidsson are fun to watch, I'd love to see them get a couple of more minutes when the playoff round starts. Nylander gets us a goal every game, had some unbelievably lazy moments in the 2nd period though. Want to see more from Pettersson and Andersson 5 on 5. PP was excellent and our defensemen were all really good, Sellgren has been a slight disappointment though and Moverare is what he is.

Liljegren doesn't get enough credit. Not everything he does is going to translate to the NHL but he's massive for our blue line

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
What? Most of those guys shouldn't be anywhere close to this team.

Several of them are right around the same level as Sellgren and Lindström objectively... who for me are better than Moverare on this team.

Heck, Jacob Ragnarsson is Lindström's D partner for Almtuna and everytime I have seen them this year he has been better.

And Stenqvist is for sure better. Skates better, as good or better offensively, solid D too.

Berglund and Hedberg have been good in the Allsvenskan. Sandin has been great in the OHL. Boqvist almost made the team. Viktor Grahn already played well for u-20s this year and has been solid in SHL.

Not saying all are definitely better, but Moverare is for me the worst Dman on this Swedish team in a year where they have a lot of talent left behind... I would not have taken him as one of the best 7D in Sweden at u-20 level right now.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Several of them are right around the same level as Sellgren and Lindström objectively... who for me are better than Moverare on this team.

Heck, Jacob Ragnarsson is Lindström's D partner for Almtuna and everytime I have seen them this year he has been better.

And Stenqvist is for sure better. Skates better, as good or better offensively, solid D too.

Berglund and Hedberg have been good in the Allsvenskan. Sandin has been great in the OHL. Boqvist almost made the team. Viktor Grahn already played well for u-20s this year and has been solid in SHL.

Not saying all are definitely better, but Moverare is for me the worst Dman on this Swedish team in a year where they have a lot of talent left behind... I would not have taken him as one of the best 7D in Sweden at u-20 level right now.

I mean, I don't love Moverare either but I don't really see any of those players making a huge difference on where Sweden places in the tournament this year. I haven't seen all of them though.

But I found it odd to see you mention guys like Ginning, Cederholm and Malmström. I wouldn't want anyone of them on this team.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I mean, I don't love Moverare either but I don't really see any of those players making a huge difference on where Sweden places in the tournament this year. I haven't seen all of them though.

But I found it odd to see you mention guys like Ginning, Cederholm and Malmström. I wouldn't want anyone of them on this team.

They are the three weakest of those guys listed tbf... though Ginning has kind of held his own in the SHL when I have seen him despite the stats.

I would not see much of a difference if Moverare was the #7... but I really don't want him in this teams top 4 when get against the best teams.

Personally I think I would have taken Stenqvist tbh over him (and kept the other 6... I would have been tempted to pick Ragnarsson over Sellgren too and roll a Ragarsson-Lindström pair for familiarity and as have been good together in Allsvenskan, and that is as a MODO fan.)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Forgot to mention Gustafsson. Only one goal against is very good but boy did he look shaky at times.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Forgot to mention Gustafsson. Only one goal against is very good but boy did he look shaky at times.
I disagree. I thought he looked calm out there. Stood his ground when the czechs were pressuring Sweden especially in the 2nd period. Other than one shot that bounced off his glove, i thought he looked very solid.

As for wanting to see more of Pettersson (and Nylander IMO) on 5on5, i would say a lot also has to do with the fact that Lindström plays with them. He's just nowhere near those guys talentwise and shouldn't be on any of the top lines. He's bringing them down. I would also like to see Pettersson taking the center position or just anyone else replacing Lindström. Don't think it's a coincidence that the 1st PP unit is dominating as soon as they have a powerplay.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
On a positive note: Liljegren looked a lot better.

Linus Lindström still horribly out of place on a first line, Moverare is just way to slow.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Almost hoping for a group stage loss, so that Monten realizes how badly he need to change the line(s) BEFORE the playoff games begin.
Although im not sold on Monten it doesn't really take a scientist to figure out that there's something wrong with the 1st line. Lindström still have ZERO points even though he's playing with the 2 most talented offensive players on the team. Meanwhile Nylander and Pettersson are absolutely killing it on the powerplay, forming probably the best powerplay-unit in the whole tournament. Monten is outright stupid if he's not going to do anything about the 1st line unless they lose, although i can't say that im convinced that there will be changes since they're doing well as a team right now...

novon04

Dec 21, 2011
It's also a lightweight line.. 75 kg Pettersson with 76 kg Lindström and then Nylander who isn't exactly known for his physicality. Montén might notice the line isn't working when Sweden is facing one of the top teams. Hopefully it won't be too late.

Last edited:

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
It's also a lightweight line.. 75 kg Pettersson with 76 kg Lindström and then Nylander who isn't exactly known for his physicality. Montén might notice the line isn't working when Sweden is facing one of the top teams. Hopefully it won't be too late.
Lindström isn't really physical either. It's just completely nonsensical.

felixpettersson

Dec 16, 2016
Gothenburg

Although im not sold on Monten it doesn't really take a scientist to figure out that there's something wrong with the 1st line. Lindström still have ZERO points even though he's playing with the 2 most talented offensive players on the team. Meanwhile Nylander and Pettersson are absolutely killing it on the powerplay, forming probably the best powerplay-unit in the whole tournament. Monten is outright stupid if he's not going to do anything about the 1st line unless they lose, although i can't say that im convinced that there will be changes since they're doing well as a team right now...

Ofc i dont want them to lose, but as you both said I don't want Monten to realize it too late, since the team is doing fine so far... But yeah, a loss really shouldn't be necessary for him to realize that it is not working atm.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Davidsson has the smarts, speed and intensity to play with Nylander and Pettersson. He's not quite on their level but he would be a clear upgrade over Lindström who looks mediocre in every single way. Also think we are wasting Andersson on that 2nd line so he could also be worth moving up. Too early to panic but the Fjällby line can't be by far our best line 5 on 5.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Davidsson has the smarts, speed and intensity to play with Nylander and Pettersson. He's not quite on their level but he would be a clear upgrade over Lindström who looks mediocre in every single way. Also think we are wasting Andersson on that 2nd line so he could also be worth moving up. Too early to panic but the Fjällby line can't be by far our best line 5 on 5.

Would be a shame to split up Fjällby and Davidsson though, they got some great chemistry and know eachother well from playing on the same line in Djurgården. I think I'd rather see Nylander-Andersson-Pettersson and possibly use Fjällby-Davidsson-Zetterlund/Söderlund as the second line.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Would be a shame to split up Fjällby and Davidsson though, they got some great chemistry and know eachother well from playing on the same line in Djurgården. I think I'd rather see Nylander-Andersson-Pettersson and possibly use Fjällby-Davidsson-Zetterlund/Söderlund as the second line.

I'd rather have a good top line than a good checking line. Think Fjällby would do just fine without Davidsson.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Sure we might lose som depth if Andersson plays 1c but I think it's worth it considering what that line possibly would be capable of. I think we'd have decent enough 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines anyway

Nylander-Andersson-Pettersson
Steen-Lundeström-Boqvist
Fjällby-Davidsson-Söderlund
Karlström/Lindström/Gustafsson/Zetterlund

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad