NFL GDT: Super Bowl LVIII: (AFC) Kansas City Chiefs vs. (NFC) San Francisco 49ers

KC vs SF

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just got reminded that we may have missed out on a historically hilarious moment of the 49ers scoring the touchdown in overtime and at least some of them celebrating like they won the game

Reactions: Terry Yake and Rob

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
It certainly helps that San Francisco is in the weaker conference in terms of QB's. That plus a stacked roster really elevates them to the top.

But as you saw tonight, it can only take you so far and they have already had two cracks at it.
they were one stop away from winning the SB....that's pretty close not like losing to the Chiefs is some disgrace.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

No one ever corrected Boomer when he claimed the McCaffrey touchdown should not have counted.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Brittany had a terrible father and was a major factor. She survived and is fine now.

Yeah nothing to see here...

1ocqydq.gif

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Despite the game going to OT it doesn’t feel like a classic. Add that to how hollow the celebration for winning was it was just a weird night.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I remember when he first came on the stage I was watching preseason football in Vegas with some buds and I remarked to one of them that Alex Smith plays for Washington now and KC is opting to start Mahomes who was at that time going through his first year

What he has done in such a short span has been incredible

It's insane since he took over in 2018 he's basically 2 wins short of 6 consecutive SB trips, 5 wins short of 6 Consecutive Super Bowls. If things had gone just a little different we'd be talking about the most dominant stretch of football ever played since someones rookie season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
View attachment 818341

That’s wild that 49ers players wouldn’t be aware of the rules in OT.

Edit - from The Ringer article
So long as the coaches knew.
Taking the ball means that they get the ball 3rd when it then becomes sudden death.
Opposition will treat their possession as 4 down football til they get into FG range.
Opposition to avoid sudden death would have to go for a 2 point try if SF scored a TD or bet on their D.

Taking the ball second you do that if you have a 2 point try that you are very confident in as you are likely to go for it vs play sudden death on D.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
JFC some of you are acting like Travis Kelce went Sean Taylor on the punter in the pro bowl when he body checked Andy Reid.

‘If he injured Reid’ be serious.

Like he looked like an asshat while emotions are running high. But nearly murdered him or if he injured Reid? Let’s relax
Reid said after that he was more caught off balance than actually "hit" by Kelce. I don't see an issue with it, emotions run high in these games and Reid/Kelce were ultimately able to channel it into winning the game. Big hoopla about nothing.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It's insane since he took over in 2018 he's basically 2 wins short of 6 consecutive SB trips, 5 wins short of 6 Consecutive Super Bowls. If things had gone just a little different we'd be talking about the most dominant stretch of football ever played since someones rookie season.

You can play that game with a few guys.

Brady is 2 wins away from 5 Superbowl wins in his first 7 years with a 19-0 season (01, 03, 04, 06 (the AFCCG was the Superbowl that year) and 07)
Brady is 2 wins away from another 5 straight SB wins ('14, '15 (they beat Carolina that year), '16, '17 (lost SB), '18)

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
and those 2 losses to keep him from 6 straight SBs were both OT losses not some blowouts or games they never stood a chance... really is insane the run the Chiefs have been on

Reactions: Daximus

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Interesting. I don’t like either team but I felt like this was one of the best Super Bowl games ever.

It just felt flat. I think some of it had to do with the insane amount of commercials in the first half.

Edit: I personally find myself more engaged with the game during the conference title game. Probably because it’s not one giant corporate circle jerk for a week+.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Not taking away from the Chiefs' current run, but..
Bradshaw and the Steelers won 4 Stupor Bowls in 6 seasons.. Browns won 7 pro football championships with Otto Graham (and went to 10 title games).. Patriots dominated the league for almost two decades.. Lombardi won 5 NFL championships in 9 seasons with Bart Starr. Aikman, Montana..
Chiefs'/Mahomes' real and hypothetical (what if) run is great, but not uniquely dominant.. at least not yet.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You can play that game with a few guys.

Brady is 2 wins away from 5 Superbowl wins in his first 7 years with a 19-0 season (01, 03, 04, 06 (the AFCCG was the Superbowl that year) and 07)
Brady is 2 wins away from another 5 straight SB wins ('14, '15 (they beat Carolina that year), '16, '17 (lost SB), '18)

Oh for sure and he still has a ways to match what Brady has done but the resume is looking quite good so far. 2 MVP, 3 Rings, 3 SB MVP all before his 29th birthday. If anyone can match or exceed Brady I think Mahomes has the best shot.

Not taking away from the Chiefs' current run, but..
Bradshaw and the Steelers won 4 Stupor Bowls in 6 seasons.. Browns won 7 pro football championships with Otto Graham (and went to 10 title games).. Patriots dominated the league for almost two decades.. Lombardi won 5 NFL championships in 9 seasons with Bart Starr. Aikman, Montana..
Chiefs'/Mahomes' real and hypothetical (what if) run is great, but not uniquely dominant.. at least not yet.

Oh for sure it's just something to note. But it's a strong start, perhaps one of the strongest starts from a QB. No one is out here saying he's the goat but if anyone is on the right track it's Mahomes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Reid said after that he was more caught off balance than actually "hit" by Kelce. I don't see an issue with it, emotions run high in these games and Reid/Kelce were ultimately able to channel it into winning the game. Big hoopla about nothing.
Regular season, it doesn't escalate into that. But, also something that Reid can get on Kelce about is to improve his blocking, as I would assume is the reason he subbed in gray for Kelce to be the lead block in open space. But, typically Kelce can block DBs, but can't do what Gronk/Kittle do in handling DE.
On a play like that Gray has to engage and maintain the block, not try to push the DB back and release. Don't allow the DB to make a play on the RB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad