NFL GDT: Super Bowl LVIII: (AFC) Kansas City Chiefs vs. (NFC) San Francisco 49ers

KC vs SF

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Not taking away from the Chiefs' current run, but..
Bradshaw and the Steelers won 4 Stupor Bowls in 6 seasons.. Browns won 7 pro football championships with Otto Graham (and went to 10 title games).. Patriots dominated the league for almost two decades.. Lombardi won 5 NFL championships in 9 seasons with Bart Starr. Aikman, Montana..
Chiefs'/Mahomes' real and hypothetical (what if) run is great, but not uniquely dominant.. at least not yet.

It’s so cringeworthy when people can’t bring themselves to acknowledge historically elite teams.

You’re going back in history 50 to 75 years to desperately try and find a comparable to the Chiefs. That should be an indication of how rare their accomplishment has been.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Definitely wasn’t like one of the most well-played Super Bowls ever and may have lacked a single defining, epic play. But definitely think it delivered by the end.

The other thing is, as always, there are going to be some nitpicks about some calls from the refs and calls by the coaches that you can have a go at - but I think in general the game also, in a good way, lacked that one defining questionable call or just complete bonehead game-losing coaching decision that is all anybody can talk about afterwards.

I think it was just an above average SB that took a while to get going but was certainly a good game in the 4th quarter and OT.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Definitely wasn’t like one of the most well-played Super Bowls ever and may have lacked a single defining, epic play. But definitely think it delivered by the end.

The other thing is, as always, there are going to be some nitpicks about some calls from the refs and calls by the coaches that you can have a go at - but I think in general the game also, in a good way, lacked that one defining questionable call or just complete bonehead game-losing coaching decision that is all anybody can talk about afterwards.

I think it was just an above average SB that took a while to get going but was certainly a good game in the 4th quarter and OT.
The fact the KC OL didn’t get called at all was curious.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Maybe they were just better prepared

Your team's guys apparently didn't even know the OT rules
I'm not a fan of either team. I'm a commanders fan so I had absolutely no care about anything except winning a prop bet consisting of SF getting a rushing TD.

There are plenty of examples via footage of KC guys getting away with holds, but I also respect the NFL for letting them play.

It was? Should they just be called every game for false starts that don’t happen just because…?
Pre-snap penalties should be automatic, but no, I'm more curious about the holds.

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Defences played well. Bosa/Young were instructed to maintain containment on Mahomes, which they did. Didn't take the chance to get caught and allow Mahomes to get outside of them.

SF with some mental mistakes. A couple of pre snaps false start calls, plus 2 holding ones, which were on plays that went outside, thus could see the tug on the jersey as the defender was trying to detach to get to the runner.

Just a fluke play on the punt. Didn't seem like a line drive, so either McCloud was too far back given that the P did kick a 60 yarder earlier in the game and he backed up too far, but it's tough for the blockers to avoid the ball as they really have no idea which direction to go. Probably safest is to run back towards the LOS vs to the sidelines or towards your own end zone. Still had a chance to fall on the ball but opted to remain on his feet vs go to the ground.

Missed PAT, yeah that changed decisions on KC's final 2 drives. Down 4, you can't just take the FG and give the ball back to SF with 6 minutes to go down 1. Probably 4 down territory there. Same if it's the end of the game.

Such a fluke injury to Greenlaw.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Defences played well. Bosa/Young were instructed to maintain containment on Mahomes, which they did. Didn't take the chance to get caught and allow Mahomes to get outside of them.

SF with some mental mistakes. A couple of pre snaps false start calls, plus 2 holding ones, which were on plays that went outside, thus could see the tug on the jersey as the defender was trying to detach to get to the runner.

Just a fluke play on the punt. Didn't seem like a line drive, so either McCloud was too far back given that the P did kick a 60 yarder earlier in the game and he backed up too far, but it's tough for the blockers to avoid the ball as they really have no idea which direction to go. Probably safest is to run back towards the LOS vs to the sidelines or towards your own end zone. Still had a chance to fall on the ball but opted to remain on his feet vs go to the ground.

Missed PAT, yeah that changed decisions on KC's final 2 drives. Down 4, you can't just take the FG and give the ball back to SF with 6 minutes to go down 1. Probably 4 down territory there. Same if it's the end of the game.

Such a fluke injury to Greenlaw.
Greenlaw was already having achilles issues in previous weeks, actually. It just finally snapped basically.

Patriots won 3 in 5 but couldn’t manage to go back to back like KC.

Winning 3 in 4 was more impressive but that was 20yrs ago.
Broncos won back to back.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Patriots won 3 in 5 but couldn’t manage to go back to back like KC.

Winning 3 in 4 was more impressive but that was 20yrs ago.

Patriots 5 year run was SB win, AFCCG, SB win, SB loss, SB win

Point is that's only a snapshot of the bigger run. The Chiefs are chasing much more than a 5 year flash in the pan

2001-2019:

19 seasons
232-72
6 titles
9 Superbowl appearances
13 AFCCG appearances

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Korean commentary GOAT.

Motion play is hard to defend. Almost need a check off between the DBs.

Cause they don’t know if the WR is actually going to run to the other side or not so can t be too slow otherwise you get out leveraged if he does go to the other side, but if you run too hard and he turns back you can skip trying to go back the other way and lose your leverage.

Really only way to defend it is to have the outside CB then switch off so that the DB who is running to match the motion then has to take the inside receiver.

Something DCs need to plan for moving forward.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I said it at halftime, SF was by far the better team in the first half and yet only led by one score. That was a big difference for me. KC made some adjustments after the half and it paid off. SF should of kicked off at the start of OT. Maybe KC still scores a TD but SF could of as well and gone for 2 with the thinking you don’t want to give the ball back to Mahomes.
People want to shit on Purdy but the kid played well enough to win the game. KC has a tremendous defense and he handled himself well for his first SB

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I said it at halftime, SF was by far the better team in the first half and yet only led by one score. That was a big difference for me. KC made some adjustments after the half and it paid off. SF should of kicked off at the start of OT. Maybe KC still scores a TD but SF could of as well and gone for 2 with the thinking you don’t want to give the ball back to Mahomes.
People want to shit on Purdy but the kid played well enough to win the game. KC has a tremendous defense and he handled himself well for his first SB
You have a young QB and you know KC D is tired. Thinking is that you can go down and get the TD.
To kickoff, you have a 2 point play that you truly believe in vs KC as you would likely have to use it if you got a TD yourself and rather go try to win it vs go into sudden death vs Mahomes with him getting the ball first in sudden death.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It’s so cringeworthy when people can’t bring themselves to acknowledge historically elite teams.

You’re going back in history 50 to 75 years to desperately try and find a comparable to the Chiefs. That should be an indication of how rare their accomplishment has been.
He did not even have to go back that far... he named the Patriots who finished their dynasty (of 2 decades) about 5 years ago.

I mean, the Chiefs are great and are doing great things, but let's not act as if they are doing anything unprecedented.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Ultimately, the highest paid players on the Chiefs made the plays while other than McCaffrey all of the ones on the Niners had their cloak of invisibility on.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Ugh my pops is getting old and insists Purdy had a perfect game- nope, missed some chances, but he didn’t make any huge mistakes and gave ‘em a good chance. Love Shanahan, but he got outcoached at the end. Bad luck there as well, but a fumble and an int going the other way, just didn’t do enough with it.

That said..

I hate Mahomes and Kelce, the NFL shoves Taylor Swift down our throats because it drives engagement good or bad, everything hurts, this sucks.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
You have a young QB and you know KC D is tired. Thinking is that you can go down and get the TD.
To kickoff, you have a 2 point play that you truly believe in vs KC as you would likely have to use it if you got a TD yourself and rather go try to win it vs go into sudden death vs Mahomes with him getting the ball first in sudden death.
I think both defenses were gassed in OT.

Reactions: Donnie740

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Patriots 5 year run was SB win, AFCCG, SB win, SB loss, SB win

Point is that's only a snapshot of the bigger run. The Chiefs are chasing much more than a 5 year flash in the pan

2001-2019:

19 seasons
232-72
6 titles
9 Superbowl appearances
13 AFCCG appearances

If you want to celebrate second place finishers and appearances in conference championship games, Mahomes is ahead of Brady at this point in his career.

5 years as a starting QB
5 AFC Championship appearances
4 Super Bowl appearances
3 titles

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Oh for sure it's just something to note. But it's a strong start, perhaps one of the strongest starts from a QB. No one is out here saying he's the goat but if anyone is on the right track it's Mahomes.
Actually, there's a thread in our football forum today (Mahomes vs Rodgers).. where posters are already coronating Mahomes, the greatest ever. Even tho he's (in some cases) tens of thousands of yards behind 60 other QBs, there are almost 40 guys ahead of Mahomes in passing TDs.. Several QBs with more rings than Mahomes.
I get these evaluations are subjective, and just opinions. But I don't see a single metric where Mahomes is already the greatest QB of all-time, when he's nowhere close to most yards, most passing TDs, no remarkable longevity, several guys with more rings. Mahomes as GOAT, just seems like a trendy, indefensible take.

And it really is unfair to compare 21st century passers against players like Starr & Otto Graham etc. There are so many more regular season game to accumulate numbers & more rules favorable to passers now. The fairest descriptor is probably, the greatest of THEIR generation..
forgive me for the long post.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Actually, there's a thread in our football forum today (Mahomes vs Rodgers).. where posters are already coronating Mahomes, the greatest ever. Even tho he's (in some cases) tens of thousands of yards behind 60 other QBs, there are almost 40 guys ahead of Mahomes in passing TDs.. Several QBs with more rings than Mahomes.
I get these evaluations are subjective, and just opinions. But I don't see a single metric where Mahomes is already the greatest QB of all-time, when he's nowhere close to most yards, most passing TDs, no remarkable longevity, several guys with more rings. Mahomes as GOAT, just seems like a trendy, indefensible take.

It's not shocking if the average age of the participants is 25 years old. Same thing with the LBJTQ community (Lebron James fanboys) saying Lebron clears Jordan because the latter didn't have to play Steph's Warriors.

• Wow

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021

And it really is unfair to compare 21st century passers against players like Starr & Otto Graham etc. There are so many more regular season game to accumulate numbers & more rules favorable to passers now. The fairest descriptor is probably, the greatest of THEIR generation..
forgive me for the long post.
I mean, of course Mahomes is behind on yards, TDs, etc. He is 28 years old with 6 seasons under his belt.

Compare him to any other QBs first 6 seasons and he'll likely destroy them. Compare him to any other QBs best 6 seasons and he'll likely destroy them.

50+ TD season, two 5,000+ yard seasons, 2x MVP, 1x OPOY, 3x SB Champion, 3x SB MVP. That is ridiculous for a QB in their first six seasons. 4 Super Bowl appearances, 6 Championship Game appearances.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad