NFL GDT: Super Bowl LVIII: (AFC) Kansas City Chiefs vs. (NFC) San Francisco 49ers

KC vs SF

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah. That was a bizarre situation. No way Reid could have benched Kelce even though it was absolutely warranted.
Regular season he would have. But I also doubt Kelce goes that nuts in the regular season. Be a better blocker and Reid leaves him in the game imo.

SF needs a better option at QB. The moment KC showed they weren’t letting the run game beat them was the moment the game was over. Purdy doesn’t make the major league throws needed.
20 nfl teams are saying that. But only so many QBs of high quality coming out of college.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
SF needs a better option at QB. The moment KC showed they weren’t letting the run game beat them was the moment the game was over. Purdy doesn’t make the major league throws needed.
purdy is just a slightly better jimmy g. but not like there's anyone out there who'd be an upgrade

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Yeah. That was a bizarre situation. No way Reid could have benched Kelce even though it was absolutely warranted.
It's a freaking high testosterone sport played by fit guys who are competitive. Blowing fuses is most likely quite common but kept private or censored.

If we had unfiltered audio of what is said by everyone on the field, even the most tolerant of profanity, slurs, etc would get tired of the constant barrage.

I remember a little fallout after Mike Martz and Jay Cutler had a heated exchange years back.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Regular season he would have. But I also doubt Kelce goes that nuts in the regular season. Be a better blocker and Reid leaves him in the game imo.

20 nfl teams are saying that. But only so many QBs of high quality coming out of college.
They don’t need a high quality QB but expecting a guy picked dead last to be the guy that you can rely on to lead you to glory when your bread and butter run game fails isn’t the path to success. Purdy was always a benefactor of a good surrounding cast.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Kirk Cousins.
Kirk was Kyle's boy in Washington. He's not better than Purdy. I can rag on Purdy, but Cousins is moody and "tightly wound"(words of Troy Aikman). Cousins is also dependent on super talents around him. JJefferson now. Desean Jackson and Pierre Garcon back with Mike and Kyle.

He's also older and likely lost his mobility with that torn Achilles.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It's a freaking high testosterone sport played by fit guys who are competitive. Blowing fuses is most likely quite common but kept private or censored.

If we had unfiltered audio of what is said by everyone on the field, even the most tolerant of profanity, slurs, etc would get tired of the constant barrage.

I remember a little fallout after Mike Martz and Jay Cutler had a heated exchange years back.
It’s an awful look.

Kirk was Kyle's boy in Washington. He's not better than Purdy. I can rag on Purdy, but Cousins is moody and "tightly wound"(words of Troy Aikman). Cousins is also dependent on super talents around him. JJefferson now. Desean Jackson and Pierre Garcon back with Mike and Kyle.

He's also older and likely lost his mobility with that torn Achilles.
Kirk is absolutely better and I’m a Washington fan and absolutely detest him. Cousins never had the cast around him he would in SF.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
How many teams would throw their current coach overboard to get Kyle?

A lot.

Look how long it took Reid - who was an elite coach (if not always elite in pressure situations) - to get over the hump.

Talk of the Niners ditching Shanahan is ridiculous.
Reid before Mahomes is still better than Shanahan.

Reid lost a SB to a superior Patriots team.

Question was asked about coaches to take over Shanahan.

Reid
McVay
LaFleur
Payton
Harbaugh brothers
Stefanski

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
It’s an awful look.

Kirk is absolutely better and I’m a Washington fan and absolutely detest him. Cousins never had the cast around him he would in SF.
Yeah I think Cousins is better than Purdy. No question.

QB's I'd take over Purdy without hesitation:

Rodgers
Cousins
Jackson
Allen
Mahomes
Herbert
Burrow
Stroud
Kyler
Prescott
Hurts

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
As much as Mike Singletary was a great middle linebacker, he was horrible was a head coach. Just absolutely ass, he thought this was 1985 NFL and not late 2000’s NFL.

Can’t adjust, stubborn, made Alex Smith look like a fool.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Question was asked about coaches to take over Shanahan.

Reid
McVay
LaFleur
Payton
Harbaugh brothers
Stefanski

Matt LaFool has never been in a Super Bowl.
Kev Stefanski has never even sniffed a conference championship game.

I acknowledged that Reid, Jim Harbsugh and McVeigh were in the top five. Could also put John Harbaugh there too despite his string of one-and-done debacles.

Sean Payton has made a career living off Drew Brees 2010 Super Bowl. He’s a me-first dinosaur way past his prime.

As you can see, there’s not many better than Kyle Shanahan.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Mahomes/Reid vs Purdy/Shanahan was a horrible mismatch.
Horrible mismatches end in blowouts, not overtime.
Lol in football they give the trophy to the owner of the team first?
Compare this to the captain of an NHL team raising it.
It is stupid. NHL does it the right way.
And with that missed extra point, it's over now
If he made it, Mahomes probably would have won the game in regulation with a late TD.
What? Shanahan’s scripted plays are the best in the league. You do realize that only the first dozen or so plays are scripted, don’t you?
That's true, though they often go off-script based on down and distance.
Weird. He's their regular C, Pro Bowler not the backup. Was Patty lining up an extra yard deeper or something. Just an insane number of low snaps by Creed today.
Creed is still upset over the death of Carl Weathers.
so are we just going to forget about how kelce nearly murdered andy reid on the sideline?
He's off the hook because everything worked out. Imagine if Kelce injured Reid and it cost the Chiefs the game.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Kirk wasn't so hot when it was Thielen and Diggs. He couldn't mesh with Diggs even though Josh Allen could, indicating a lack of competency on Kirk's part compared to Josh.
Jackson and Garcon isn't quite what San Fran has but it wasn't nothing either. Garcon wasn't Deebo but had some of that grit and tenacity while DJax was the deep threat.

Kirk's bad days were utterly disappointing and part of his game.

Purdy, flawed as he is, remains very consistent with a clean pocket and against blitzing. Kirk did not have that nor the night game moxie.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Extremely disappointing if you’re a 49’ers fan. Can’t seem to get over the SB hurdle. Lot of changes coming for them, this was their chance and once again Purdy can’t make the throws to win the game. They say Defence wins championships… yes but you also need your QB to make plays. Purdy will kill shitty teams but the guy is too small, doesn’t have a strong arm, he’s just not a great option at that position. He’s extremely lucky to get an opportunity with a great team like SF. Great line that protects him he’s got pro bowlers all around him, still can’t make the big plays

Reactions: Donnie740

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
My take would be that he's very hyped up to contribute to a championship game and beyond frustrated that he's not being fed the ball while the plays they were running were sloppy and failing.

I said it earlier, it's somewhat understandable...probably would have been more so if they were in the second half of the game but I can see why he might've been upset. Still not appropriate in the slightest to attack your coach over it and scream in his face. When I was younger and playing sports I had coaches I disagreed with and disliked but I'd never think to make myself present like I'm bigger than the team by doing something like that. Someone needs to sit him down after the festivities are over and make it clear to him that shit like that won't be tolerated in the future.
yeah I haven’t seen any videos of what happened after McKinnon pulled him away, but Reid’s lack of reaction was all I needed to know about that

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Unbelievable how bad Shanahan's playcalling was. That last drive in regulation, the 3rd and 4 at the 2:00 mark, why the f are you not running the ball here? You either get the 1st down or not, either way KC has to burn a timeout.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
1707746071514.png

That’s wild that 49ers players wouldn’t be aware of the rules in OT.

Edit - from The Ringer article

Sep 19, 2008

I remember when he first came on the stage I was watching preseason football in Vegas with some buds and I remarked to one of them that Alex Smith plays for Washington now and KC is opting to start Mahomes who was at that time going through his first year

What he has done in such a short span has been incredible

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Horrible mismatches end in blowouts, not overtime.

It is stupid. NHL does it the right way.

If he made it, Mahomes probably would have won the game in regulation with a late TD.

That's true, though they often go off-script based on down and distance.

Creed is still upset over the death of Carl Weathers.

He's off the hook because everything worked out. Imagine if Kelce injured Reid and it cost the Chiefs the game.
I must say, this is quite the use of multi quote!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad