Transfer: Summer transfer rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Neil Jones is one of the more reliable out there though, formerly Liverpool Echo

I too think a completely new midfield can be dangerous, but time will tell I guess.

Sure. Just such a stupid way of saying things (goal that is - not you).

Not saying all their stuff is crap and as you point out I'm sure they have some good/reliable writers as well, but in general I would argue they more or less just sum up rumours from other sources - writing them in longer articles (then it becomes circle references when other sites just do the same thing - I really don't bother with chasing "news" about transfers any longer).

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Sure. Just such a stupid way of saying things (goal that is - not you).

Not saying all their stuff is crap and as you point out I'm sure they have some good/reliable writers as well, but in general I would argue they more or less just sum up rumours from other sources - writing them in longer articles (then it becomes circle references when other sites just do the same thing - I really don't bother with chasing "news" about transfers any longer).

Yeah, personally I try to look at who the person behind an article is and not which paper it is. Feel like pretty much all companies are chasing clicks and just write whatever, but there are a few quality journalists out there still.

Reactions: Stray Wasp and cgf

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Ante Coric of Dinamo Zagreb goes to Roma for 7 million EUR.

Why, I don't know. He was the next big thing a few years ago, but his career is going even worse than Halilovic. Both of these kids apparently talent was enough at some point, and looked entitled and petulant. (unlike Modric, Kovacic or even Pjaca)

I expect him to sit on the bench, go on loan and eventually be a journeyman for the lower placed clubs like Udinese, Chievo etc.
It's not the talent it's the head that's the question. Halilovic was supposed to go to Spurs deal was agreed upon but the father stopped the transfer as he wanted his son to go to Barca. Coric is another diva who has great technique but doesn't think he has to work hard. Both will probably never reach there potential after both were said would be better then Modric at 18.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If you think that Klopp is going to get a 'completely new midfield' you don't really watch how he operates. He's not going to jettison a bunch of players on the team at once, and especially not in such an important area to have cohesion. Keita will get introduced (probably slowly), Henderson/Wijnaldum and maybe Milner will rotate until Ox is healthy and then he'll come back in slowly as well. A huge part of the Klopp way is making sure that the team functions as a team, and players know their roles, etc.

Most of this is just tabloid stuff. I think Liverpool need cover for Henderson (or someone to push for the spot) but guys like Hendo, Wijnaldum and Ox more than proved themselves this season on the biggest stages. Milner was hot and cold, and we're losing Can (blessing), but neither were going to be first choice anyway and Keita is coming in.

So the front 3 is their biggest strength. Their midfield is boss and the defense is the best in the league?

Not sure if I can fully agree with that.
Who's defence is better? The introduction of van Dijk, Robertson, Karius and TAA's maturing has been immense. Henderson and Wijnaldum were both injured/sick for a lot of the season which meant we had to trot out Can, a half-fit Gini and Milner more than we should have, we didn't have Keita, and I mean there's no real question to the quality of Mane/Firmino/Salah. Once Klopp became a bit more pragmatic in the second half of the season, and added the players mentioned above, our defence was a big strength and the CBs were much less exposed.

The question up front is depth, which Fekir does help but he's very different stylistically to any of our forwards at this point which could be good or bad and remains to be seen. I think in the event that he's for a change in formation you still need to find a player that can replace Mane/Salah at least somewhat effectively.

Obviously there are arguments to be made but it's just how I see it. I think next season with a bit more quality in depth Liverpool should be challenging for the title and be a major threat in the cup competitions. Though again, I'm still a bit wary of fatigue/mental letdown after how the final went.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Dont see how that defense is better than City or even Spurs, but whatever.

Well, Liverpool play the most offensive style of the top 5 (City score more goals, but are much more possession based) and they allowed 13 goals in 16 games after January 5th (when van Dijk made his debut). van Dijk didn't play the only game they allowed more than 2 goals (City) and Liverpool held City to 1 goal over 2 games when they had their 1st choice team in the CL. The GA in the league ranks 2nd only behind United (11 goals). Not bad for a team that was known for its defensive issues.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Amazing that Liverpool finished 25 points off the top given that they have such an amazing squad. Then again, the best defense in the league gave up just one goal fewer than Burnley, so who am I to argue.
It would be difficult to argue (I prefer debates), wouldn't it? Then you'd actually have to post something of substance instead of obtuse one liners.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It would be difficult to argue (I prefer debates), wouldn't it? Then you'd actually have to post something of substance instead of obtuse one liners.
Sorry, I was looking for substance to debate but found only platitudes devoid of an intelligent thought, so I figured I'd respond with merely a modicum more substance such that it was understandable.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Klopp doesn't need to overhaul the squad but he needs to add depth. I don't know if they have the best position group out of anyone in the league, but as I have said, next season will be their best squad on paper since FSG took over. They finished top 4, and were runners up in the Champions League, and the team is still trending up. I'm looking forward to next season.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't see how you posted anything of substance to begin with.
I mean, I made a statement, which was challenged, which I then addressed with my reasoning while also providing statistics that backed up Liverpool's defensive turnaround. At the very least that's a little bit of substance and information. To each their own I guess.
Sorry, I was looking for substance to debate but found only platitudes devoid of an intelligent thought, so I figured I'd respond with merely a modicum more substance such that it was understandable.
So you don't know a platitude is and use it in an attempt to sound intelligent while avoiding actually having to debate any points made. Why am I not surprised?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Considering how I had to hear about the many players Liverpool were going to get in the past window (such as Lemar) and how they were going to dominate the second half of the season...they are still a trophy-less club. Actually, they had to grab the last CL spot during the last day of the season proves everything you need to know about the club. Sure there is a lot of hype surrounding them now, but they are far away from building something great. I thought that VvD would have provided better defencive accolades, but they're still a team very easy to open up and that might come with Klopp's tactics (still think he's a GOAT manager though).

As for Arsenal, the Sokratis signing is definitely in the right direction. No doubt that he's past his prime and should age as bad as Mertesacker did, but 16 million for a couple more years of a heavily veteran and experienced player is great value for me.

Additionally, Arsenal is rumoured to be putting in a 50 million pound bid for Forsberg. WTF? 50 million? Don't get me wrong that he's a decent talent, but that seems like 10 to 15 million overvalued.

Reactions: booyakasha

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
In simple English: Liverpool had to wait until the last day AGAIN to confirm finishing 4th even though they have the best forwards, midfielders and defenders. And somehow they are the only ones to challenge Man City for the title. The logic being that they are able to beat Man City.

Let's just ignore all the other teams as they cannot possibly improve.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
In simple English: Liverpool had to wait until the last day AGAIN to confirm finishing 4th even though they have the best forwards, midfielders and defenders. And somehow they are the only ones to challenge Man City for the title. The logic being that they are able to beat Man City.
I said I think they have the best defence in the league now, which is obviously very different from the beginning of the season (4 of 5 positions changed, not to mention the system changed also). I never said they had the best midfielders or forwards. Not to mention a team is more than its individuals. For example if you put Mane, Firmino and Salah on paper beside Sane, Aguero/Jesus and Sterling it's probably pretty close but Pep's structure and City's superior midfield really allow them to cut up more defensive teams with consistency that Liverpool just doesn't have, or hasn't had.

Also pointing to Liverpool needing to wait until the last day to make the top 4 seems a bit misleading. They had a big cushion, and there was no real pressure to make that spot or 3rd their own while they also were putting everything into making the CL final.

But people on this board love hyperbole and making things up to argue against. I mean, I noticed that people have been talking about me on another board and saying that I said Memphis was better than Dybala (I didn't). SEPH calling me the 'village idiot' and so on. I don't really feel the need to discuss other people from this board off it (or address SEPH), but as always...to each their own.

Who is ignoring the other teams? Who said they're the only ones that can challenge City for the title? There's a lot that can change between now and then, but I believe my words were 'I think Liverpool can challenge for the title". I don't see any exclusion in there.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Naturally. The moral high ground is only large enough to accommodate your good self.
I'm sorry that you feel that way.

Really, I come here because I love soccer (or football if you want). I don't get to discuss it as much as I'd like, and I feel like there's a good mix of people here that like to discuss the game. I like reading even the 'hottest' takes from some posters and being challenged for opinions because it's a way to think and affirm or change the way I think about the game. I can say this board has definitely given me a better understanding of the game, teams and players over time.

With that said, I'm going to just stop posting/visiting here. I'm just not really interested in all the hate. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Remember the team of the season had as many City as Liverpool players

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com

He has a point though. City just put together the best season ever in the EPL, finished 25 points ahead of 4th place Liverpool, and Liverpool fans are still trying to argue trivial crap like this. One look at the standings clearly shows that Liverpool didn't have the best anything.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He has a point though. City just put together the best season ever in the EPL, finished 25 points ahead of 4th place Liverpool, and Liverpool fans are still trying to argue trivial crap like this. One look at the standings clearly shows that Liverpool didn't have the best anything.
We had the best goal scorer :)

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016

That's so stupid. Just because City finished first doesn't mean they were the best at everything. They had the best midfield and best depth, but best goalkeeper, back line, and forwards are all debatable with other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad