Transfer: Summer transfer rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
gotta think Keeper is high on Liverpool's list about now

Maybe but you really never know. First, Karius got elbowed in the head, it is almost a sure thing he had a concussion. Second, Klopp is notorious for sticking with players. It worked with Lovren, who was a colossus in today's game, showing the kind of form he never really had until this season.

The other problem is that elite keepers are way too expensive. Lazio's Strakosha would be very, very high on my list though. 6'4 keeper who makes great saves, from a club Liverpool just made a deal with, and wouldn't cost more than 20 million. Yes please. He made some great saves in that Inter game last weekend, but his defense just wasn't clearing the ball after any of them.

Reactions: trostol

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Maybe but you really never know. First, Karius got elbowed in the head, it is almost a sure thing he had a concussion. Second, Klopp is notorious for sticking with players. It worked with Lovren, who was a colossus in today's game, showing the kind of form he never really had until this season.

The other problem is that elite keepers are way too expensive. Lazio's Strakosha would be very, very high on my list though. 6'4 keeper who makes great saves, from a club Liverpool just made a deal with, and wouldn't cost more than 20 million. Yes please. He made some great saves in that Inter game last weekend, but his defense just wasn't clearing the ball after any of them.

What would you think of Liverpool trying to swoop in on Arsenal for the signing of Leno?

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
In my opinion a striker and a winger to put up a fight for Firmino, Salah and Mane and a CB should be higher on the list than a new GK. And that's if Fekir is a done deal, otherwhise I wan't a CM/CAM on that list aswell. And if they buy a keeper it should be someone who already is a star which will be very expensive

Reactions: trostol

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
What would you think of Liverpool trying to swoop in on Arsenal for the signing of Leno?

He's not as good, so I wouldn't like it. I'm definitely no scout, but if Strakosha was doing this in a league other than Italy, he would be worth 40 million. Easily. SMS got the plaudits for Lazio having a great season, but there were countless times that Strakosha saved points. I'm not only judging from YouTube, but I'll post a video anyway.

This guy is one of the best keepers in Europe, Alisson is only barely better, and I haven't seen anyone linked to a transfer with this guy. No idea why. So many of these were great chances too, so it seems like a miracle that Lazio had such a good season.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah i believe he would be a good signing for Liverpool. I don't know much about Lazio but I know they have sub-par Defense, which shows how important Strakosha was to them.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I’m not sure karius had something like 11 clean sheets in the last 20 games. If anything they might get someone to push him.

If they get someone to push him I want Onana. I didn't realize that Ramos elbowed him in the head when I said all that stuff. It perfectly explains why he had bad vision on both mistakes, and on the Bale shot there's no way he would have been seeing only one ball coming at him.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
If they get someone to push him I want Onana. I didn't realize that Ramos elbowed him in the head when I said all that stuff. It perfectly explains why he had bad vision on both mistakes, and on the Bale shot there's no way he would have been seeing only one ball coming at him.

I saw him go down, but didn’t see the replay until later on, karius concussed is still better then migs though

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
One thing that I’m surprised no one is mentioning is Bale saying he needs to play week in and week out. Hopefully this means Mou moves for him and we finally get our RW.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Report has it that Unai is going to have a mere 70 million budget for the transfer window. I'm afraid that will not be enough for him to craft the team he wants

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Report has it that Unai is going to have a mere 70 million budget for the transfer window. I'm afraid that will not be enough for him to craft the team he wants

It will if they let him sell who he wants. I can see it being difficult for both Mkh and Ozil to play his football, and expect that only one will truly fit. Discipline and defensive commitment are 1000% required. Mustafi could become a much better player this way. As a manager, I like him, but they need to bring a different balance to their team than what they have now. The budget also becomes a problem because they need pace out wide, which is currently extremely expensive. Those wide players also need to be quite committed, the fullbacks balanced, the midfielders big and disciplined. Inevitably he will do something people won't like. I also don't see him sticking with both Lacazette and Auba, but it's very tough to know which. The forwards he had at Sevilla are more like Lacazette. Auba could be moved wide in order to save money.

I'm pretty much going to disregard what he did at PSG because I don't think it matters what he did with a team who had an unlimited budget. When he doesn't have an unlimited budget, that's how his teams work. He also played with a double pivot, so Arsenal will need another #6. Might be first on the list.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm pretty much going to disregard what he did at PSG because I don't think it matters what he did with a team who had an unlimited budget

I would tend to agree that his PSG tenure is meaningless. I honestly think the Paris job is a poison. Winning the league is simply par for the team, so to be anything special the Champions League needs to be won, and with the amount PSG pay the expectation to win that trophy are too high. I don't know why anyone would take that job...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I still like Karius. I think that this performance may have sealed his fate, but you never know. Up to this game he'd been immense to close out the season and he fits Klopp's style very well.

First on the list should be someone that can fill in for Mane/Salah when they're either fatigued or injured. I don't even want them to be looking at someone like Fekir or Dembele until that is solved. They're so important to Klopp's style and they both need to be on the field. That means we need more players that can play a similar way; keep Harry Wilson as one of them, and bring in someone that has top speed, gets into space well, has a high workrate and intelligence. Guys like Fekir and Dembele will be nice to have if we're changing stylistically, but they hold onto the ball a lot too which is counter-productive to Klopp's high intensity, quick transition style (it's a big part of why we looked better and more fluid once Coutinho was out of the side). With that in mind I would love to see them still go after Promes (they've been linked with him plenty) as he'd be a perfect, perfect back-up or rotational option with Mane/Salah.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'd rather Bailey than Promes if they're going for a backup winger. Shoot for the moon.

I also don't think Klopp will give up on Karius, but if he does, Strakosha or Lafont are the only realistic options.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Why would you want Bailey over Promes? They operate differently and it's the same reason I want someone like Promes before we look at Fekir/Dembele or someone like that. Bailey likes to have the ball, he likes to run at people with it and isn't as intelligent off the ball like a Mane or Promes. He doesn't make quick decisions the same way either (though Mane had his moments this year for sure). Promes is more experienced, better, fits the team better and of course there's that Dutch connection.

I'm not saying Promes is the only option but I don't think Bailey is the same kind of fit.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Why would you want Bailey over Promes? They operate differently and it's the same reason I want someone like Promes before we look at Fekir/Dembele or someone like that. Bailey likes to have the ball, he likes to run at people with it and isn't as intelligent off the ball like a Mane or Promes. He doesn't make quick decisions the same way either (though Mane had his moments this year for sure). Promes is more experienced, better, fits the team better and of course there's that Dutch connection.

I'm not saying Promes is the only option but I don't think Bailey is the same kind of fit.

I like the idea of getting a player who we don't have to worry about getting injured during international games. He's also younger and faster, if not yet better.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I would tend to agree that his PSG tenure is meaningless. I honestly think the Paris job is a poison. Winning the league is simply par for the team, so to be anything special the Champions League needs to be won, and with the amount PSG pay the expectation to win that trophy are too high. I don't know why anyone would take that job...

Watch the football they are going to play under Tuchel and you’ll understand why he decided to give having an elite roster a try.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It will if they let him sell who he wants. I can see it being difficult for both Mkh and Ozil to play his football, and expect that only one will truly fit. Discipline and defensive commitment are 1000% required. Mustafi could become a much better player this way. As a manager, I like him, but they need to bring a different balance to their team than what they have now. The budget also becomes a problem because they need pace out wide, which is currently extremely expensive. Those wide players also need to be quite committed, the fullbacks balanced, the midfielders big and disciplined. Inevitably he will do something people won't like. I also don't see him sticking with both Lacazette and Auba, but it's very tough to know which. The forwards he had at Sevilla are more like Lacazette. Auba could be moved wide in order to save money.

I'm pretty much going to disregard what he did at PSG because I don't think it matters what he did with a team who had an unlimited budget. When he doesn't have an unlimited budget, that's how his teams work. He also played with a double pivot, so Arsenal will need another #6. Might be first on the list.
Mustafi definitely wanted out during the January window and played absolutely atrocious in the final third of the season. He might have decent talent, but he needs to be gone when the season starts.

Chambers has also been a disaster and might want more playing time, so don't be surprised if he moves to a championship squad in this window as well. I think the Lichtsteiner signing, which is on the verge of being complete tells you that Arsenal do not have faith in other players to fill that role such as Holding and Calum.

Arsenal have always rumoured to be in the market for a winger to play on the opposite side of Sanchez and Lacazette. Being linked with Forsberg is not a surprise by any means for me. He isn't needed, but with a new manager some players are definitely going out (and others in) just due to differences in philosophy. Sven brought in Mkhi, even over Martial who Wenger wanted, hard to see him sell him considering how much power he has in the organization already. But it is a very realistic possibility that he's gone. Getting 30 million for him increases our budget to 100 million which wouldn't be too shabby.

You're right though that Emery is a high demanding manager and even though Mkhi showed that his defencive side is quite underrated when he was put on the wing, his work rate still isn't the best on the team.

I would be surprised if he didn't start a duo of Auba on the wing, Laca in the middle, and Ozil in the middle and just put up with the defencive shortcomings of those players. They looked amazing to finish the season and considering the money that Arsenal have invested in them. The biggest question marks for me is in the midfield and how he arranges the formation with Ozil, Mkhi, and Ramsey. A lot of uncertainty and I can see him want to change this portion of the squad the most even with the shortcomings in goal and on the backline. That is why I think Seri is absolutely a player that Emery would kill to have. Another player who I think he will love as well is Danny Welbeck, just gotta stay healthy.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I like the idea of getting a player who we don't have to worry about getting injured during international games. He's also younger and faster, if not yet better.
Promes is rapid and about the closest thing to Mane I can think of. I don't think Bailey's faster.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And he didn't win both league titles though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And he didn't win both league titles though.

Nevermind that they played hideous football, which is even more unforgivable for a club like that than to go out in the QFs of the CL even if they had won the league both times. If talent is going to continue being more and more concentrated, than the teams where this talent is concentrated owe it to push the sport into more creative & elegant directions.

Reactions: Stray Wasp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino