Transfer: Summer transfer rumours

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think Liverpool will spend around £150m net this summer. Which they should because in the last two years they spent -8m. Keita and Fabinho is £87m. It could be more though because they got £70m from this CL run and are already qualified to next year's group stage. Plus there's tons of new revenue from the new main stand and the owners loaned the club the money to pay for that, at basically no interest. They also signed a bunch of new kit deals including maker and sponsor.

Lallana and Ings should be departures equaling around 20-25m. I know there's no news about Lallana leaving but I think he should as he's a really good player who deserves to play every week. Mignolet and Sturridge are definitely leaving too. Don't know what they're doing with Clyne either, but Klopp pointed out that Fabinho can play fullback if they really need him to, so I think Clyne is leaving. That's a lot of big wages gone.

If they had Keita and Fabinho on Saturday, one can only wonder. That team is going to be fantastic though if they sign the other targets. Only relative weaknesses would be Lovren and Alexander-Arnold (who gets better all the time). Another thing I like is that the squad is young enough that they can really go for it now and not have to worry about signing players in upcoming seasons. Maybe a CB to replace Lovren, a backup midfielder and that's it if everything goes well.

I think they've got at least that to spend, and I think the Keita stuff was earmarked from this past summer. I don't know if they'll spend all of it, but you also have a number of other outs to consider. Origi is going to get back a few, and they've got some kids who can move on. Heck, they might actually get a few dollars for Markovic.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think they've got at least that to spend, and I think the Keita stuff was earmarked from this past summer. I don't know if they'll spend all of it, but you also have a number of other outs to consider. Origi is going to get back a few, and they've got some kids who can move on. Heck, they might actually get a few dollars for Markovic.

Yeah, forgot about Origi. Grujic too, he proved he was good enough to play in the Prem and controlled a lot of games for Cardiff last season. Just so happens Cardiff got promoted too and needs him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thats a fantastic signing. Liverpool are a goalie, another CB and some more offensive depth away from being a contender towards City for the Premier League and a contender at the top of Europe for the UCL. I know they got there this year, but lets face it, they were not one of Europe's best teams this season.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Thats a fantastic signing. Liverpool are a goalie, another CB and some more offensive depth away from being a contender towards City for the Premier League and a contender at the top of Europe for the UCL. I know they got there this year, but lets face it, they were not one of Europe's best teams this season.

On paper they weren't. In actuality they were, but at the end it turned out that certain players played way too much football and some of them got hurt.

They don't really need another CB until after next season. I didn't think I'd be saying that, but Lovren was too good to replace just yet. A GK and some depth for the front three is what they need. I do not think Klopp will allow himself to be in this situation again.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yeah, forgot about Origi. Grujic too, he proved he was good enough to play in the Prem and controlled a lot of games for Cardiff last season. Just so happens Cardiff got promoted too and needs him.

I'd rather not sell Grujic, though I'd certainly loan him again. If they could double there money, with a bit of sell on, I would do it, but I might want to see how he looks in training.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
On paper they weren't. In actuality they were, but at the end it turned out that certain players played way too much football and some of them got hurt.

They don't really need another CB until after next season. I didn't think I'd be saying that, but Lovren was too good to replace just yet. A GK and some depth for the front three is what they need. I do not think Klopp will allow himself to be in this situation again.

You really need another CB. No offense but there have been people calling for Lovren's head for seasons on here and a few months of good play doesn't mean that good play will translate into next season. Get another high quality CB next to VVD, you have the money and players will be interested in joining your club especially after the run. Why not try to get someone like Koulibaly, Manolas or De Vrij?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Didn't wanna fill up the confirmed signings thread with discussion so I'm quoting you two here.

Lol so Pulisic replacement still to be bought?

If someone gives them a crazy bid, then maybe, but with the US not qualifying for the World Cup & BVB's mediocre season, I doubt anyone offers them the 80M+ that they'd want to sell him now. He's too important to their marketing department & brand to sell for any less than that, even though his talent & currently level is probably worth closer to ~60M...especially after the year they had.

They need those american eyeballs focused on them next season now that they have some like Favre back at the helm. With a little work to the depth/defense, they should just be an absolute joy to watch.

Good signing.

Great signing. Liverpool's midfield was a big shortcoming this year, but a Keita-Fabinho duo is pretty f***ing awesome to have behind their front 3. Now complete the Fekir signing and get a better goalie to compete with Karius, and they could really be a fun team for however long their bodies hold up.

And in a league where the title isn't in question; qualifying for the CL, while playing attractive football, is about all you can ask from a big team.

Reactions: koyvoo

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Various reliable French sources.

These two are unofficial mouthpieces for LFC. If they are reporting the exact same number I would put their info up against any other journalist. Regardless of whether it's €50M or €55M that's a tidy piece of business that both clubs can be pleased with.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
The klopp effect strikes again. Players are weary of going to places like united. Boring style of football. City don’t really need anything, Arsenal and Chelsea are in limbo and spurs are just there.

Klopp has made Liverpool a viable place to play again, and I’m loving every second of it

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Let’s not over rate the impact these signings will have. There was still what, a 25 point gap between them? Asking Keita, Fabinho, a CB and a goalie to close that is a bit much...

Nevermind any additions Pep makes to his team which already boasted more young talent that’s still on the rise than the already hitting the prime years core that Klopp’s working with.

Last edited:

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I'm so sick and tired to see all the players I want sign with a "rival" when the only signing Arsenal makes are attacking midfielders, a striker we didn't need or over the hill CB's.

When is Arsenal going to get with the program? I mean, we're now the 6th best team in EPL when we were once considered a force... sigh!!!

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
So you don't know a platitude is and use it in an attempt to sound intelligent while avoiding actually having to debate any points made. Why am I not surprised?
It's a statement that's been used to the point that its meaning is lost. Such as Liverpool has the best xyz.

Typically, but not necessarily, it includes moral content, but it need not, hence why the phrase moral platitude (which is a platitude in and of itself) is not redundant.

Again, you haven't made any points beyond your platitudes that place Liverpool squarely has having the best everything besides goalie and yet finished 25 points off the pace. That's my point. You haven't debated it and instead try to say that I'm providing no substance. Projection? Why am I not surprised?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Various reliable French sources.

I don't think the argument over how much the final price actually is really matters too much. It certainly could be 55, but that could be achievable bonuses or fees to the agent/family/past club. the final number really doesn't matter all that much, as even at 55, he's a good player for the fee.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You really need another CB. No offense but there have been people calling for Lovren's head for seasons on here and a few months of good play doesn't mean that good play will translate into next season. Get another high quality CB next to VVD, you have the money and players will be interested in joining your club especially after the run. Why not try to get someone like Koulibaly, Manolas or De Vrij?

While they do need another CB, I don't think there's actually enough money to do it. The attack needs depth and they need a goalkeeper more than they need a CB. Matip never got much of a chance to play with van Dijk either and could be really strong in that position.

Let’s not over rate the impact these signings will have. There was still what, a 25 point gap between them? Asking Keita, Fabinho, a CB and a goalie to close that is a bit much...

Nevermind any additions Pep makes to his team which already boasted more young talent that’s still on the rise than the already hitting the prime years core that Klopp’s working with.

I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect that City will get 100 points again. Some of the gap will be closed by that alone. Some of the gap will be closed by the other signings that teams make to take away points from City, some from added depth at Liverpool, and some will be from the simple fact that Liverpool's midfield is going to be incredibly dynamic. I would simply like to challenge and still have no real expectations of anything. Liverpool won't be the only team either, especially if United gets Milinkovic-Savic and adds some quality defenders.

I'm so sick and tired to see all the players I want sign with a "rival" when the only signing Arsenal makes are attacking midfielders, a striker we didn't need or over the hill CB's.

When is Arsenal going to get with the program? I mean, we're now the 6th best team in EPL when we were once considered a force... sigh!!!

I mean no offense and am not trying to brag, but Arsenal has literally no chance to sign the same players that CL finalists are signing. As soon as a team like Arsenal would have a good chance to sign a player a top team wanted, someone's going to come in and stop them. Liverpool was once in this position as well and tried to sign those players. They got told to f*** off. They were able to get some players from Aston Villa, Southampton, Newcastle, Burnley, Schalke, Mainz, and Hoffenheim. That got them in position to get these ones. What Arsenal needs to do is lift players away from teams of much lower stature that should not have those players. Lafont from Toulouse and Soyuncu from a team like Freiburg is pretty much the kind of thing Liverpool was doing.

I know how this feels so again I'm not trying to brag, and it can be pretty difficult to get used to it. It sucks. That's why I'm going to enjoy Liverpool being in this position for however long it lasts. This stuff doesn't last forever, it's supposed to be fun, and it's pretty fun to see my club signing the exact two midfielders I wanted, and the #10 I want if they can get him. The final was obviously massively disappointing but I couldn't be happier with the transfer targets.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You might be right about them hitting 100 exactly, but I don't see why City wouldn't be even stronger next season with a little more investment in their defensive depth, a potential upgrade on Fernandinho, and their ridiculously talented kids improving even more under Pep's tutelage. It's not like they were injury free and got every break to go their way this season. The competition will improve but so should they, which is why I dunno just how far from that record they'll fall...if they don't best it instead.

Is a 20-21 point gap really that much more likely to get bridged than a 25 point gap?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You might be right about them hitting 100 exactly, but I don't see why City wouldn't be even stronger next season with a little more investment in their defensive depth, a potential upgrade on Fernandinho, and their ridiculously talented kids improving even more under Pep's tutelage. It's not like they were injury free and got every break to go their way this season. The competition will improve but so should they, so I dunno just how far from that record they'll fall...if they don't best it instead.

Second time through the league.

Premier League 2017/2018

#TeamGameWinDrawLossGoalsGD.
750.gif
Manchester City19143246:153145
552.gif
Tottenham Hotspur19134240:182243
550.gif
Liverpool FC19124343:152840
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
They were absolutely amazing the first time through and caught lots of teams by surprise, but there were other teams near their equal once everyone in the league had seen how their team set up. Obviously I think City are a great team, it would be foolish not to think so, but they aren't an unbeatable juggernaut. They were the team best prepared for the start of the season. The other teams in this table carried in quite a few injuries to the first rounds, or players on strike, etc.

I accidentally clipped out United and don't know how to fix it, but they had one less point than Liverpool. Chelsea had 31 points and Arsenal 29.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Speaking of Arsenal, twitter sources of some repute saying they wanted Fabinho but Liverpool snapped him up before they could get it done.

Welcome to no CL.

There was also Atletico. Arsenal had no real chance and I feel like the reporter who said that stuff is just winding people up into a frenzy. Liverpool winning the battle over Atletico would be two things most likely. One, playing with a national teammate should get him to play for Brazil. I don't think Felipe Luis will continue on after the WC, so there would be none of them at Atletico. Second is wages.

A third could be that Klopp is a master motivator and told him something, but Simeone is too, so I don't think that part matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad