Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You keep saying this. The Wolves have 5 d-men who were at NHL camps. Are all those NHL teams wrong? There might not be a true number 1 among them, but on paper, this should be one of the deeper groups in the OHL. If the coaching and systems being deployed are so bad that they are the reason our goaltenders allow absolute stinkers, adding Donovan, Smith and McCoy won't help either.

It seems like every OHL player 18+ was invited to a rookie camp.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What's easier and more realistic for the wolves to do? Add a goalie who can steal a game, or add 2-3 additional elite d-men?

It seems the D might be easier to add. Multiple elite D would prove difficult, but Sova and McCoy are not elite; and, Smith and elite cannot properly be used in the same sentence.

Reactions: justawolfan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Honestly, do you think they can fix the defensive play to an acceptable level with the current coaching staff? My worry is, I don't think they can. A start goaltender can make it easier to overcome the subpar coaching.

Identify that goalie and everything else attainable that can help,; and get them.
I’m not sure there is an elite goalie available though.

Reactions: djscooter

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Looking like Hrabal will be playing the majority the games over vondras. He's a 2nd round pic by the Coyotes

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Looking like Hrabal will be playing the majority the games over vondras. He's a 2nd round pic by the Coyotes

Hrabal giving up 6 goals, an 82% SV%, and not getting pulled. Vondras feeling a bit like Krawchuk on the bench you think?

Vondras may see a game before the tournament is over, who knows, it's a short tournament, the team needs to find a hot hand quickly.

Last edited:

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Thought Vondras was the third string goalie.
Was on the bench for this first game. Saw fans in the Czechia team thread before the tournament calling him the third calling but looks like he may be the second.

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay

Sudbury Wolves at Barrie Colts

Thursday, December 28th, 2023

OHL Gamesheet
Listen Live

Starting Goalies:

Sudbury - Vandenberg
Barrie - West

Wolves have won both meetings this year

5-3 in Barrie October 21st
9-6 in Sudbury December 1st

Notables not dressed:

Sudbury:
Dalibor Dvorsky (WJC)
Jakub Vondras (WJC)
Kocha Delic (week to week reportedly)

Barrie:
Eduard Sale (WJC)
Sam Hildebrandt (WJC)
Beau Akey (season ending shoulder surgery)

Sudbury WolvesBarrie Colts
16-11-3-1Season Record12-16-1-0
5-2-2-1Last 10 Games2-7-1-0
0-1-1-0Streak0-1-1-0
4-3 L @ London (2023-12-17) FinalLast Game4-3 L vs Kitchener (2023-12-16) Final
10-4-1-0Home Record9-5-1-0
6-7-2-1Away Record3-11-0-0
137Goals For95
114Goals Against118
24/142 (16.9%)Power Play19/129 (14.73%)
12/68 (17.65%)Power Play - Home14/69 (20.29%)
12/74 (16.22%)Power Play - Away5/60 (8.33%)
30/134 (77.61%)Penalty Killing36/111 (67.57%)
10/53 (81.13%)Penalty Kill - Home16/51 (68.63%)
20/81 (75.31%)Penalty Kill - Away20/60 (66.67%)
Owen Protz (1-5-6)Leading RookieRiley Patterson (8-9-17)
Landon McCallum (39)Most Penalty MinutesKashawn Aitcheson (54)
13.4/31Team PIM/GM12.4/29

Last edited:
Reactions: cub

TheRailBird2

Oct 4, 2023
The feed on CHL tv keeps going out almost like it is buffering. This is almost as bad as the potato salad we were looking at in the London game

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Surprised the Wolves continue to play Caden Taylor. You have to assume he's going to be one of the trade chips at the deadline, risking him getting hurt seems a bit silly at this point. Don't really need him for his 4 shifts per game.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Surprised the Wolves continue to play Caden Taylor. You have to assume he's going to be one of the trade chips at the deadline, risking him getting hurt seems a bit silly at this point. Don't really need him for his 4 shifts per game.
who else are they going to play?

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Toure what are you doing??! The lack of smarts is concerning.

Coaches stop playing Mania as the lone D on the second unit.

PP the seam pass isn’t working stop using it.

Villy why play with puck on the line unprotected and give up a breakaway.

Argh that period had no flow.

WJ

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Good on Walton on the first PP goal. Nice puck movement and put it down low. Pharand starting off a second half really good. Coaches need to give other players more PP time.

WJ

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Beautiful pass by Goyette and an incredible shot by Musty. What a goal.

who else are they going to play?
I feel like they played half of the games last year with only 11 forwards. Go with 11F 7D until you make moves.. Won't affect the outcome of the game and protects your trade asset.

Even penalties between Savard and Konyen for Savard trying to put his skull through the ice. That makes sense. OHL refs are crooks.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Beautiful pass by Goyette and an incredible shot by Musty. What a goal.

I feel like they played half of the games last year with only 11 forwards. Go with 11F 7D until you make moves.. Won't affect the outcome of the game and protects your trade asset.

Even penalties between Savard and Konyen for Savard trying to put his skull through the ice. That makes sense. OHL refs are crooks.
Should have applied the Toure Standards

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Goyette might want to consider actually putting the puck on net in the shootout, but it is what it is. Ben West stole that one for the Colts, no doubt.

On the bright side, despite the mediocre first period, the wolves were the better team tonight I thought.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Goyette might want to consider actually putting the puck on net in the shootout, but it is what it is. Ben West stole that one for the Colts, no doubt.

On the bright side, despite the mediocre first period, the wolves were the better team tonight I thought.
Aside from three forwards way behind the play on Barrie's third goal. One guy should always be back always don't know why all three were so deep. Oh well. Coaching was off tonight. Sending out the big unit to start the PP when they were out for a full two minute shift prior was just not right. The bench management is very questionable.

Pharand with the hot hand tonight and no shoot out chance. Don't get it.

WJ

cub

Apr 11, 2012
thought Wolves had sluggish 1st period. Great second period being down 2-0, coming back and taking the lead 3-2. Third period was decent. Wolves missed many quality chances, need to execute. Pharand played great nice to see him on track. I thought Vandenberg played decent, would be nice if he can close the door in this one.

I agree Pharand should had an opportunity in the shootout. I can't remember when we won a shootout.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Toure what are you doing??! The lack of smarts is concerning.

Coaches stop playing Mania as the lone D on the second unit.

PP the seam pass isn’t working stop using it.

Villy why play with puck on the line unprotected and give up a breakaway.

Argh that period had no flow.

WJ
If Toure can’t reign in that stupidity it will hamper his chances of turning pro in any significant sense. Braindead penalty gets them down by one early. Papineau got fleeced on the deal for Vandenberg.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolfman Jack

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022

We beat ourselves with poor decision making and no back pressure on last two goals

Reactions: cub

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

As they should have been. NO reason to lose against this lineup tonight. Except for the goaltending of course and throw in the inability to execute and looking sick on the shootout.

We beat ourselves with poor decision making and no back pressure on last two goals
Goaltending had nothing to do with it right:rolleyes:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
thought Wolves had sluggish 1st period. Great second period being down 2-0, coming back and taking the lead 3-2. Third period was decent. Wolves missed many quality chances, need to execute. Pharand played great nice to see him on track. I thought Vandenberg played decent, would be nice if he can close the door in this one.

I agree Pharand should had an opportunity in the shootout. I can't remember when we won a shootout.
Would have been more than nice Cub. Especially considering the third goal was a banana. More like it should have been expected. Two thirds!! Play Chucky tomorrow. I hope he makes Papineau look stupid.

Perfect example of a goalie winning a game that they should have lost, something the Wolves have not seen this season. More I watch Villy the more I would not be disappointed to see him moved in a trade. The boy just cannot score.
You’re exactly right Bill, but the truth really seems to hurt for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad