Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
We will see if Paps can play with the big boys and land a few of the big names come trade deadline time or does he just put one foot in the water.

Reactions: Section5Petes

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Wolves are def going to be bringing some players in, question is how bad will Paps have to overpay especially on the big name players. At this point it's gotta be all in and you put out the best roster you can. That means adding another two forwards and 1 or 2 new Dmen at the minimum. They can up the ante on any deal and get the players they want at hefty prices. Walton and Taylor are both huge trade chips. All the 2nds and 3rds the Wolves have at their disposal is huge. Papineau surely can't blow this right? Tick tock until Jan.10

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Dear Colby Barlow: it’s time to get climatized to real winter weather on your way to Winnipeg with a stop in Sudbury…your character and leadership will be appreciated as you help lead us to Mem Cup.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Wolves are def going to be bringing some players in, question is how bad will Paps have to overpay especially on the big name players. At this point it's gotta be all in and you put out the best roster you can. That means adding another two forwards and 1 or 2 new Dmen at the minimum. They can up the ante on any deal and get the players they want at hefty prices. Walton and Taylor are both huge trade chips. All the 2nds and 3rds the Wolves have at their disposal is huge. Papineau surely can't blow this right? Tick tock until Jan.10
Would you go after a goaltender?

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Definitely, I would move Vondras freeing up a euro pic and make Big Ben a priority
Realistically the Wolves will add 4 players, maybe 5 if they decide Signoretti goes back to Espanola until his season finishes to save a card. I just sadly don't see them burning yet another card on a goaltender. I think, that they think(and are delusional) that the goaltending is good enough.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Realistically the Wolves will add 4 players, maybe 5 if they decide Signoretti goes back to Espanola until his season finishes to save a card. I just sadly don't see them burning yet another card on a goaltender. I think, that they think(and are delusional) that the goaltending is good enough.
Put any combination of Donovan, Smith,McCoy, Mayer, Sova and Punnett on our backend and all of a Sudden goaltending isn’t and issue….

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Put any combination of Donovan, Smith,McCoy, Mayer, Sova and Punnett on our backend and all of a Sudden goaltending isn’t and issue….
You keep saying this. The Wolves have 5 d-men who were at NHL camps. Are all those NHL teams wrong? There might not be a true number 1 among them, but on paper, this should be one of the deeper groups in the OHL. If the coaching and systems being deployed are so bad that they are the reason our goaltenders allow absolute stinkers, adding Donovan, Smith and McCoy won't help either.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
You keep saying this. The Wolves have 5 d-men who were at NHL camps. Are all those NHL teams wrong? There might not be a true number 1 among them, but on paper, this should be one of the deeper groups in the OHL. If the coaching and systems being deployed are so bad that they are the reason our goaltenders allow absolute stinkers, adding Donovan, Smith and McCoy won't help either.
Mania is drafted but is not a top 4 this year. Toure has one year of OHL experience and although he signed as a free agent he still doesn't play a tight game in front of his net. Would be good with another one or two heavier defensive guys. Collins sure is a pretty solid guy but still struggles getting that puck out quick enough. Imagine he is partnered with Smith or Mayer. Anania and DeAngelios factor in the top 4 with Collins and a guy we trade for. Toure would be solid in the third pairing. Pryce is just 8th guy for insurance. I don't see Protz sticking around as he may be wanted in the deals they make.

WJ

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12 and howlman

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Yes I’m aware of the talent level of our current D, but to no fault of them, Mania has basically missed most of the season and is lagging in his own end and Toure has 1.5 years of OHL experience. Protz is 17 and first year in the league…so in a go for it year we can be better. Can goaltending be improved? Yes of course, but again we committed to a 19yr old NHL drafted goalie who was sick for the past month. I don’t think we’ve seen his best nor do I believe we are gonna throw him to the curb. Could be wrong here but I don’t see it

Reactions: dirty12

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
What's easier and more realistic for the wolves to do? Add a goalie who can steal a game, or add 2-3 additional elite d-men?

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
What's easier and more realistic for the wolves to do? Add a goalie who can steal a game, or add 2-3 additional elite d-men?
Exactly my point! Yes, the best goalie in the O can steal you a game or 2 when there are other deficiencies but fix the defensive play and we just need solid goalkeepers. We have proven we can score…

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Hey it’s Christmas, I respect your opinion about goaltending. Let’s just hope we get some added talent prior to the deadline.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
The goalie Vondras is holding a euro spot, is he more valuable than upgrading if possible? There very well could be some top end imports available all I am saying is go all in

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Exactly my point! Yes, the best goalie in the O can steal you a game or 2 when there are other deficiencies but fix the defensive play and we just need solid goalkeepers. We have proven we can score…
Honestly, do you think they can fix the defensive play to an acceptable level with the current coaching staff? My worry is, I don't think they can. A start goaltender can make it easier to overcome the subpar coaching.

Reactions: justawolfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad