Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pix530

Apr 19, 2013
Tested some sticks P88.

Didnt like Bauer. 1S/1N - not good at all.
Reebok 49K was better.
Really like supertacks P40. Great stick.

Ordered Supertacks 2.0 to test before buying. Should be in this Friday.
No P40, so ordered P29 2 sticks for tests.

martz11

Mar 5, 2013
PA
Anybody ever order off of No Name hockey? I was thinking of getting a personalized stick. Wasn't sure if they have good sticks.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
Anybody ever order off of No Name hockey? I was thinking of getting a personalized stick. Wasn't sure if they have good sticks.

A guy on YouTube named 'TheNasher61' compares a no name hockey stickâ„¢ With I think a Bauer vapor 1x. Check it out! Not a bad video at all

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

Generics; certainly doesn't have the same build quality, technology or performance as the name brand top-ends, but most of us here can't really fully utilize those technologies anyways haha.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
My Warrior VIP alpha will be here tomorrow the latest I think. I'll be making a new thread for this with pictures and whatnot.

pix530

Apr 19, 2013
Where do you order sticks to try before buying?
- Tests all done at LHS. They have big enough shooting zone.
Takes some time to try them there. I would not buy stick without trying it first.

CCM super tacks 2.0 mackinnon curve
- Just bought same stick, P29 curve...Its amazing stick, hope will not break too soon...

Winky

Jun 17, 2008
Anyone know if it's possible to get a CCM RBZ in a 65 Flex, but a senior length?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I'm hoping someone can help me with some info here.

The other day my brother asked me in regards to buying a stick for my nephew what the difference was between a youth hockey stick and a junior one. I told him I wasn't 100% sure but probably flex, and shaft and blade dimensions.

He gets back to me the next day and says he's at a store and holding Youth 40 flex Bauer 1X and a Junior 45 flex Bauer 1X and they both have the same blade and shaft dimensions, except the junior is 3 inches taller. The youth stick is $70 and the junior is $200.

At first, I thought he was mistaken and was just holding two junior sticks because I was under the impression a 40 flex stick was in the range of what a junior stick was. So today I went to check this out for myself, but at a different store, and though I couldn't find a pair of matching 1X's in the same blade pattern, I found a pair of matching Bauer 1S's in youth and junior. Sure enough from eyeing the two sticks, the shafts and blade appeared to be the same size.

Other than the price, the only other visible difference was the wrap on the blade. The junior had the rough crisscross pattern that you'd find on the intermediate and senior sticks and the youth's blade was completely smooth.

Now, there has to be a more significant difference than 3 inches and a different blade wrap to explain the extreme price difference. But I tried googling info up, and I couldn't find anything detailing what the difference between a youth and a junior stick is. Every site I go to list the youth stick as having the same specs as the junior, intermediate, and senior, which I'm not 100% convinced is true.

Can anyone tell me what the real differences are, or are the two sticks pretty much the same?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I'm hoping someone can help me with some info here.

The other day my brother asked me in regards to buying a stick for my nephew what the difference was between a youth hockey stick and a junior one. I told him I wasn't 100% sure but probably flex, and shaft and blade dimensions.

He gets back to me the next day and says he's at a store and holding Youth 40 flex Bauer 1X and a Junior 45 flex Bauer 1X and they both have the same blade and shaft dimensions, except the junior is 3 inches taller. The youth stick is $70 and the junior is $200.

At first, I thought he was mistaken and was just holding two junior sticks because I was under the impression a 40 flex stick was in the range of what a junior stick was. So today I went to check this out for myself, but at a different store, and though I couldn't find a pair of matching 1X's in the same blade pattern, I found a pair of matching Bauer 1S's in youth and junior. Sure enough from eyeing the two sticks, the shafts and blade appeared to be the same size.

Other than the price, the only other visible difference was the wrap on the blade. The junior had the rough crisscross pattern that you'd find on the intermediate and senior sticks and the youth's blade was completely smooth.

Now, there has to be a more significant difference than 3 inches and a different blade wrap to explain the extreme price difference. But I tried googling info up, and I couldn't find anything detailing what the difference between a youth and a junior stick is. Every site I go to list the youth stick as having the same specs as the junior, intermediate, and senior, which I'm not 100% convinced is true.

Can anyone tell me what the real differences are, or are the two sticks pretty much the same?
https://www.purehockey.com/support/How_to_fit_hockey_sticks/pg_id/202 This is a good article.

I have seen this pop up. WHAT IS THE RIGHT FLEX?
IN SHORT, THE FLEX OF A STICK SHOULD BE HALF OF THE PLAYERS BODY WEIGHT OR LESS WHEN CUT TO THE PROPER LENGTH.

And this final one is from my experience. Until a kid hits Bantam an expensive stick is a waste of money. The idea of flexing a stick is to provide enough bend to propel the puck quicker and until you are 120 lbs the difference is going to be negligible.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
https://www.purehockey.com/support/How_to_fit_hockey_sticks/pg_id/202 This is a good article.

I have seen this pop up. WHAT IS THE RIGHT FLEX?
IN SHORT, THE FLEX OF A STICK SHOULD BE HALF OF THE PLAYERS BODY WEIGHT OR LESS WHEN CUT TO THE PROPER LENGTH.

And this final one is from my experience. Until a kid hits Bantam an expensive stick is a waste of money. The idea of flexing a stick is to provide enough bend to propel the puck quicker and until you are 120 lbs the difference is going to be negligible.

I appreciate the response, but I'm more interested in the material build of the two sticks. My question doesn't have anything to do with performance of the stick or my nephew with said stick. It's more about dollars and cents.

Because if a youth 40 flex 1X is more or less the same stick as a junior 40 flex 1X, then to me it makes sense, dollar-wise, for my brother to stick with $70 youth sticks for as long as possible before moving up to $200 juniors.

But if, for example, the blades in the youth 1X aren't constructed with the same strength, then there's my answer.

A lot of the articles and information I've googled up are very dated. They were written before Raven hockey sticks became a thing. The only sliver of information I could squeeze out was a video talking with a True Hockey manager that said their youth sticks had the same construction, braided blade reinforcements etc. as their junior, intermediate, and senior level sticks.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I appreciate the response, but I'm more interested in the material build of the two sticks. My question doesn't have anything to do with performance of the stick or my nephew with said stick. It's more about dollars and cents.

Because if a youth 40 flex 1X is more or less the same stick as a junior 40 flex 1X, then to me it makes sense, dollar-wise, for my brother to stick with $70 youth sticks for as long as possible before moving up to $200 juniors.

But if, for example, the blades in the youth 1X aren't constructed with the same strength, then there's my answer.

A lot of the articles and information I've googled up are very dated. They were written before Raven hockey sticks became a thing. The only sliver of information I could squeeze out was a video talking with a True Hockey manager that said their youth sticks had the same construction, braided blade reinforcements etc. as their junior, intermediate, and senior level sticks.

Generally, the Yth sticks do not have the same material/construction/technology as in the Jr/INT/SR models. Yth sticks are more or less the same across the board in terms of material/quality/construction, but would differ more in length/shaft shape/flex options. If a JR stick uses the same quality of carbon composite as its INT/SR counterparts, then the youth would use cheaper fiberglass for example. There's where the cost difference is.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Anyone tried the EK16? I got the EK12 and it's honestly one of the best sticks I've ever used. Hands down lightest and most balanced stick I've used. Can't find any EK12's in my area though. Just wondering how they compare.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Generally, the Yth sticks do not have the same material/construction/technology as in the Jr/INT/SR models. Yth sticks are more or less the same across the board in terms of material/quality/construction, but would differ more in length/shaft shape/flex options. If a JR stick uses the same quality of carbon composite as its INT/SR counterparts, then the youth would use cheaper fiberglass for example. There's where the cost difference is.

Thanks for this.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Just ordered a Bauer 1x the newer model with P28 Giroux blade. How does this stick compare to other sticks, I've only used to lower budget stick but now decided to commit to this 77 flex one.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Just ordered a Bauer 1x the newer model with P28 Giroux blade. How does this stick compare to other sticks, I've only used to lower budget stick but now decided to commit to this 77 flex one.

The 1X is about as good as it gets. You'll love it, and you'll want another one when it breaks because you won't be able to play with a low end stick again after that.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
The 1X is about as good as it gets. You'll love it, and you'll want another one when it breaks because you won't be able to play with a low end stick again after that.

****, did I make a mistake :laugh:? I'd be happy if it lasted for the next season. I've really never cracked the shaft only the blade.

I have a pretty good shot and if this stick helps me with that even more I think I might score more than I did last year (5 goals). I love to walk the blueline and fire it at the net.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
****, did I make a mistake :laugh:? I'd be happy if it lasted for the next season. I've really never cracked the shaft only the blade.

I have a pretty good shot and if this stick helps me with that even more I think I might score more than I did last year (5 goals). I love to walk the blueline and fire it at the net.

As good as your shot will get with a top end stick, the biggest difference you'll feel is when you control the puck. Having a stick that light and so responsive will make you feel like you're caressing the puck with a feather.

Bauer sticks are all over the place when it comes to durability. I had an APX 2 (two generations before your stick) last me a year. I had a Nexus 8000 last me 3 games.
You could be lucky and get one that lasts you a year.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
Anyone used the Eastson Stealth CX? Just picked one up on clearance and I'm liking it so far. It's a bit strange though, I grabbed a 75 flex and it seems to be stiffer than my 85 flex Warrior QR Pro and 85 Flex 1X, despite being the same length

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Anyone used the Eastson Stealth CX? Just picked one up on clearance and I'm liking it so far. It's a bit strange though, I grabbed a 75 flex and it seems to be stiffer than my 85 flex Warrior QR Pro and 85 Flex 1X, despite being the same length

Haven't used the stick, but I find Warrior sticks play 5-10 flex whippier than most other sticks.

YMMV, but from my experience CCM are the stiffest playing sticks followed by Bauer, True, then Warrior.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
The Supertacks 2.0 is honestly my favourite stick I've used in while. Easy loading midkick that offers the perfect balance of power and quick release. Excellent puck feel too. I have it in 85 Flex P29 curve and it's excellent

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The Supertacks 2.0 is honestly my favourite stick I've used in while. Easy loading midkick that offers the perfect balance of power and quick release. Excellent puck feel too. I have it in 85 Flex P29 curve and it's excellent

I've always been hesitant on CCM blades because I find many of their sticks have stiffer blades compared to Bauers, where their foam cores allow excellent impact dampening. Have you tried top-end Bauers to compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad