Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I've always been hesitant on CCM blades because I find many of their sticks have stiffer blades compared to Bauers, where their foam cores allow excellent impact dampening. Have you tried top-end Bauers to compare?

I've had the MX3, 1S, first 1N and was just coming from the second 1N. The transition for me was very simple, but I'd say puck control and shooting are a strength of mine, so as long as I have the proper curve I can transition to different blade stiffnesses easily.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I've always been hesitant on CCM blades because I find many of their sticks have stiffer blades compared to Bauers, where their foam cores allow excellent impact dampening. Have you tried top-end Bauers to compare?

I have the Tacks 2.0 and the 1N and 1X, and yeah the CCM blade is definitely way stiffer. But I find that works to my advantage since I'm an adult using junior sticks.

But the puck feel of the 2.0, I found for me, is pretty good. This is coming off of using and Xcore 9 as my main stick for a while. It took a couple sessions to get used to the new feel. The first session felt funny, but when I stepped on the ice for my second session with it, I had already adjusted, and it felt as good as any of my Bauer sticks, thought not as good as the Xcore 9 IMHO.

For me the key feature for the 2.0 that appeals to me is the softened handle. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it just makes shooting feel... nicer. I'm definitely considering getting the new Trigger coming out just because it has this feature too.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Thanks to you both. I'm currently waiting on a deal to pop up on the Warrior QRLs, but this gives me something to think about.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
Just snagged a qrl with the w71 curve. Really wanted to try it after a buddy of mine talked it up. Says he doesn't have an issue from going between that and a w28. I use the w03(p92) now and that seems to be the curve that my shots shoot the hardest and I can really shoot the puck. Does anyone have any input ?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Just snagged a qrl with the w71 curve. Really wanted to try it after a buddy of mine talked it up. Says he doesn't have an issue from going between that and a w28. I use the w03(p92) now and that seems to be the curve that my shots shoot the hardest and I can really shoot the puck. Does anyone have any input ?

I've tried it at a shooting range. It's a massive curve, a lot like the pro stock Kovalchuk. Great for powerful wrist shots and elevating the puck quickly. Slapshots rise quickly too, and you can put a lot of spin on forehand saucer passes.

Good luck doing anything on the backhand with that though.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
I've tried it at a shooting range. It's a massive curve, a lot like the pro stock Kovalchuk. Great for powerful wrist shots and elevating the puck quickly. Slapshots rise quickly too, and you can put a lot of spin on forehand saucer passes.

Good luck doing anything on the backhand with that though.

I normally don't do anything on my backhand unless I'm up close and can tuck it 5-hole. So that's not an issue. If I had a shooting range life would be easier lol. But I'm excited for the big curve. I'm having an issue with my slapshot so maybe this will help

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I normally don't do anything on my backhand unless I'm up close and can tuck it 5-hole. So that's not an issue. If I had a shooting range life would be easier lol. But I'm excited for the big curve. I'm having an issue with my slapshot so maybe this will help

I wouldn't count on the curve to fix your slapshot problems. With a curve like that, the challenge will be to keep the puck under the crossbar. I use a pro stock Ovechkin most of the time, and the challenge initially was to be able to shoot low from the blue line without sacrificing power. I got it after a while, but it takes a bit of practice to get used to these very deep curves. Now when I return to a small curve like the P88, I have to remind myself to aim higher than with the Ovechkin curve.

As for the backhand, the Pacioretty curve makes it difficult to throw backhand saucers. I don't know how much you use them in game situations, but it's not easy at all to throw one with that curve.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
I wouldn't count on the curve to fix your slapshot problems. With a curve like that, the challenge will be to keep the puck under the crossbar. I use a pro stock Ovechkin most of the time, and the challenge initially was to be able to shoot low from the blue line without sacrificing power. I got it after a while, but it takes a bit of practice to get used to these very deep curves. Now when I return to a small curve like the P88, I have to remind myself to aim higher than with the Ovechkin curve.

As for the backhand, the Pacioretty curve makes it difficult to throw backhand saucers. I don't know how much you use them in game situations, but it's not easy at all to throw one with that curve.

I barely use my back hand cause 98% of the time I'm on my forehand. That little tuck move is usually all I do if I'm being honest. But I just don't have the slapshot mechanic down yet. So they usually stay low.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

That stick (not curve though) is at the top of my wishlist right now. Be sure to follow up with a review later!

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
That stick (not curve though) is at the top of my wishlist right now. Be sure to follow up with a review later!

Oh I love the qrl. Best stick I've ever used. I have three prostocks along with my alpha (I'll add a picture tonight) alpha slightly out proforming them due to the feel of the puck, makes stick handling a dream. Just the low-mid kick on the alpha throws me off compared to the low of the qrl!

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
This may be a stupid question, but.... are they phasing out Graf sticks, or is it just somehow between cycles right now? There are basically none left on Hockey Monkey and Total Hockey. I just checked to see if I could pick up a few from a model from a couple years ago on ultra-discount, but then I find basically nothing.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
This may be a stupid question, but.... are they phasing out Graf sticks, or is it just somehow between cycles right now? There are basically none left on Hockey Monkey and Total Hockey. I just checked to see if I could pick up a few from a model from a couple years ago on ultra-discount, but then I find basically nothing.

I fee like Graf can be a hit or miss. Not sure what the actual deal is with them, but... https://sidelineswap.com/search?q=Graf

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Thanks for the link, I'll have to check there periodically. Judging by Graf's own website, is it fair to assume they're just reverting exclusively to skates now? I don't see any sticks or other gear up there.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
True stick users, how do the XC9/A6.0 compare to top end sticks from bauer/ccm/warrior?

I find the True sticks have better feel and are better for stick handling, but they lose their pop faster than Bauer sticks. In the short term they are better, but performance drops off faster.

I haven't used a high end CCM or Warrior in years, so I can't speak to those.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
True stick users, how do the XC9/A6.0 compare to top end sticks from bauer/ccm/warrior?

My true 5.2 was my favorite stick when I had it. Until I had a qrl. Now my alpha is at the top of the list. The 5.2 did have a better feel then my supertacks and revolution though. So if I had to order them

Alpha
Qrl
Revolution
Super tacks

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
My true 5.2 was my favorite stick when I had it. Until I had a qrl. Now my alpha is at the top of the list. The 5.2 did have a better feel then my supertacks and revolution though. So if I had to order them

Alpha
Qrl
Revolution
Super tacks

I have a similar opinion.

QRL/Alpha- same level to me
Xcore 9
Super Tacks 2.0
1N
1X

But to be fair. I probably have the wrong flex for the 1N and1X and that factors in to how much I like them. And one of the reasons I like the Warriors is because they play whippier.

True sticks are IMHO as good as any brand out there. They're one of the lightest and best feeling sticks out there. And probably the best for passing that lightness and feel down to their lower price points.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
Anyone have any recommendations for cheap roller hockey sticks. I'm just looking for something to skate around and pass to my buddy with. I threw away the last of my broken OPS so at this point I'm looking for something wood (I guess) with an ABS blade, or a very cheap shaft recommendation.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
Anyone have any recommendations for cheap roller hockey sticks. I'm just looking for something to skate around and pass to my buddy with. I threw away the last of my broken OPS so at this point I'm looking for something wood (I guess) with an ABS blade, or a very cheap shaft recommendation.

your best bet might be going to a play it again (if you have one in your are) the one near me in jersey has a great selection of shafts with abs blades. I bought a qrl shaft with a Sherwood abs blade and spent about $45 and it's great for outdoor roller. Sherwood in my opinion makes the best abs blades. The Bauer and ccm seem to crack faster

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
I have a similar opinion.

QRL/Alpha- same level to me
Xcore 9
Super Tacks 2.0
1N
1X

But to be fair. I probably have the wrong flex for the 1N and1X and that factors in to how much I like them. And one of the reasons I like the Warriors is because they play whippier.

True sticks are IMHO as good as any brand out there. They're one of the lightest and best feeling sticks out there. And probably the best for passing that lightness and feel down to their lower price points.

xcore9
nxg (oldie but goodie, whenever i find a jamie benn pro stock i cop)
1s
1n

1x

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford

Out of recent sticks I have used extensively-

1. Warrior QRL
2. True A5.2
3. True A6.0
4. Warrior QR Pro
5. Bauer Nexus 1N
6. Warrior HD1
7. Bauer Supreme 1s
8. Bauer Vapor 1x
9. Sherwood EK60
10. Sherwood EK15
11. Sherwood BPM150
12. True A4.5
13. Bauer Nexus N9000
14. Bauer Supreme 190

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
When using the Alpha QX, does it kick quite low when shooting or do you feel the kick more towards your bottom hand. I'm a fan of easing-loading midkicks/ dual flex profiles eg. Nexus 1N, True, Tacks 2.0, Surgeon RX2 but am not a big fan of low kicks like Vapor 1X or Covert QRL. So if anything could let me know which end it plays closer to it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
It's still a low kick stick.

I think I remember seeing a video saying it's a response to some NHL QRL users wanting to push the kick point up a little and the some NHL HD1 users wanting to push the kick point down.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
xcore9
nxg (oldie but goodie, whenever i find a jamie benn pro stock i cop)
1s
1n

1x

Funny how you mention the NXG, I just sent in a MX3 under warranty and I was tempted to ask them for an NXG instead of the 1s they will probably give me. I LOVE the kickpoint and insane lightness of the NXG. I think it was lighter than the MX3...

Now that we are on the subject, has someone actually used a radar to measure the speed when shooting with different sticks. I swear I shoot harder with the high end Supremes than high end low kick Easton and Reeboks (flex and curve being equivalent) but I've never collected data. At least it feels harder...

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
Out of recent sticks I have used extensively-

1. Warrior QRL
2. True A5.2
3. True A6.0
4. Warrior QR Pro
5. Bauer Nexus 1N
6. Warrior HD1
7. Bauer Supreme 1s
8. Bauer Vapor 1x
9. Sherwood EK60
10. Sherwood EK15
11. Sherwood BPM150
12. True A4.5
13. Bauer Nexus N9000
14. Bauer Supreme 190

Surprised to see the qr pro so high up, what did u like about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad