Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Broke my Warrior HD Pro about 2 months ago. Finally found the right deal and stuck with Warrior. This time a QRL Pro. Already love it after one skate. The feel and release is like none I've ever felt.

I've been eyeing the QRL Pro, thanks for this!

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Thinking about grabbing a new 1n but also considering a new curve. I've been using the p92 for a few years now, I like it. But the nerd in me kind of wants to try something new. I was considering trying the p28 or the p14. I've messed around with a friend's P14 and it was pretty fun, the short blade would take some getting used to. However, I've never gotten my hands on a p28 before. If I understand it correctly it is kind of a p92/p88 hybrid? So what is everyone's thoughts on the P92/P28/P14 debate?

My only complaint about the P92 is that it maybe is a little too open for me. Is there a curve that is very similar to it, but maybe just a little more closed?

Thanks in advance.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I just recently went from a p92 to a p28. To me, the p28 is quite similar to the p92 except the curve starts more towards the toe and is a little more open, but not a whole lot more.

The biggest adjustment I found was the puck rises a lot faster, so I was shooting them over the net. But it didn't take that long to make the adjustment. The things I liked about the p28 was I could shoot off the toe better, I could roof it in close a little better, and because the curve is moved forward a bit, there's a bigger flat spot on the back of the blade for better backhands.

I think, from looking at it in the store, the W71 Pacioretty is similar but more closed. But no 100% sure.

bhd1223

Oct 19, 2014
Louisville, KY
Thinking about grabbing a new 1n but also considering a new curve. I've been using the p92 for a few years now, I like it. But the nerd in me kind of wants to try something new. I was considering trying the p28 or the p14. I've messed around with a friend's P14 and it was pretty fun, the short blade would take some getting used to. However, I've never gotten my hands on a p28 before. If I understand it correctly it is kind of a p92/p88 hybrid? So what is everyone's thoughts on the P92/P28/P14 debate?

My only complaint about the P92 is that it maybe is a little too open for me. Is there a curve that is very similar to it, but maybe just a little more closed?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 92 and while I don't think it's a bad curve, it's on a not so great stick so I don't use it much. I tend to prefer my decent warrior stick with a W88. I also went to a True TC3 for a while over the last year, found it a lot better and even tried the 28 curves, just didn't work for me at all. Now I'm back at W88 after something stopped working with the TC3. Perhaps the stick is toast, but I'm sure it's more me.

I think the 28 is worth a try as they work for some people, but I'd caution you to not expect too much out of it. About the only thing that worked on a 28 with me was roofing it right around the crease. I can do this almost as easily with a W88, and probably as easily with the TC3. It's been a while. Both of those curve options offered me much more over the 28 so the new fad wasn't worth it. Also, to add, if you are looking for something slightly less aggressive than the P92, try a W88. It's more aggressive than the P88 while being less aggressive than a P92. You'll have to jump to warrior for it though.

Philip Kessel

Jun 10, 2015
Have any of you guys used these sticks?: Easton GX/ Trigger/1N gen2
How did you like the stick(s)? If you've used 2 or all of them, how did your shooting/stickhandling compare? Currently using a 2015 1X thinking of going into a mid kick (I realize trigger is low kick just curious) or just into something different.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
If you are one, and would like to share your thoughts, you should make a thread for it! I'd be interested in following for sure. :yo:

I can do that Forsure! I'll wait til it gets on my door step, til then I'll talk about it in here. I got the 75 flex backstrom curve. Super excited. Never used the dynasty line and it's supposed to be replacing it so it'll be interesting Forsure. But I love my two qrls so we shall see.

I think they still have some discount codes. I'll post in here whenever I hear anything for you guys :)

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
I have the opportunity to get some Bauer 'Team' Nexus sticks. Are these just a slight step below the top end models with a little more added weight and durability? Similar concept to the QR pro?

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
I have the opportunity to get some Bauer 'Team' Nexus sticks. Are these just a slight step below the top end models with a little more added weight and durability? Similar concept to the QR pro?

If I read it correctly it's still a prostock stick, just not issued to one player. Kinda like a test or a backup kinda stick. If the price is worth it I'd do it Forsure. For the second question. The QRPro is just a earlier model of the QRL

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

If I read it correctly it's still a prostock stick, just not issued to one player. Kinda like a test or a backup kinda stick. If the price is worth it I'd do it Forsure. For the second question. The QRPro is just a earlier model of the QRL

Not pro stock in the sense that it's pros-only; but rather a non-retail 'stock' stick that sits one level below top end. Think N9000. I believe the specs are the same; a lower spec model.

The QR Pro is the previous model that was one below the top end QR1. The current equivalent is the QRL Pro. Also a 'team' stick if you will; same concept.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Thanks for the info on the Nexus Pro. I actually work for a NAHL junior team and that's the stick Bauer is pushing this season. The price is very good.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The QR1 is my favorite stick ever... I can't wait to pickup some QRL's when they go on sale/clearance. I just won't pay full price for them. (All of the QR1's I bought were less than $150). :laugh:

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Anyone had a chance to play with the Super Tacks 2.0 yet? I'd love for it to be more like the Ultra Tacks, which I think is my favorite stick to date.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Just picked one of these up as well and it's a great feeling stick. After 1 skate I like it a lot more than the 1x I've been rolling with.

I definitely recommend getting the "Pro" sticks for Warrior if people are looking to spend a little less and still get a pretty light, high end stick. I've had two already, HD pro and now QRL pro. Durability was an issue with the first, breaking it less than a year in (I rarely break sticks, blade usually chips and wears before they break) but otherwise their Pro sticks are fantastic.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Anyone had a chance to play with the Super Tacks 2.0 yet? I'd love for it to be more like the Ultra Tacks, which I think is my favorite stick to date.

From the reviews I've seen, it's just a refinement of the Super Tacks. So not likely it'll be more like the Ultra.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I still use a 2-piece stick and in fact, just last week I put in a new replacement blade

PM me with any questions you may have

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Bought a pro stock Elias Lindholm.

It's a Total One NXG dressed as an MX3, 82 flex and it has Lindholm's custom curve which looks like a Warrior Pacioretty curve. It also has the One 90 grip with the little squares, I missed that thing.

pix530

Apr 19, 2013
regarding blade, I stick to P88, P28 is ok too.

Supertacks 2.0 - there is no P88 curve in LHS at least.
Also, UltraTacks was broken too easy, I am skeptical regarding durability.

Next week look forward to try:
RBZ Revolution P40
CCM Supertacks P28

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
regarding blade, I stick to P88, P28 is ok too.

Supertacks 2.0 - there is no P88 curve in LHS at least.
Also, UltraTacks was broken too easy, I am skeptical regarding durability.

Next week look forward to try:
RBZ Revolution P40
CCM Supertacks P28

Absolutely loved both my super tacks and revolution. The only issue I had with the RBZ is the toe of the blade chips super easy. Two games in my toe was shredded

pix530

Apr 19, 2013
Absolutely loved both my super tacks and revolution. The only issue I had with the RBZ is the toe of the blade chips super easy.
- Thx for sharing!!! No RBZ then, I got BASE nasty with same issue rn.

Wonder if they made super tacks more durable than ultra.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
- Thx for sharing!!! No RBZ then, I got BASE nasty with same issue rn.

Wonder if they made super tacks more durable than ultra.

I mean my super tacks has held up great. It doesn't get much use but after a season it never lost pop, no cracks or anything. Very durable in my opinion.

I think the ccm fx1 will have similar carbon weave blade with the metal blade so I look forward to that being the next stick I buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad