Series Talk: Rangers vs. Carolina (Game 1, Sunday May 5th @ 4pm ET, ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Reyjavik?
48f8899d-ea37-406d-8278-1b611e3d6cba_text.gif

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
This place is going to get rough after our first loss since so many posters seem to be tentatively allowing themselves to become hopeful for the first time since last year.
how dare they!

@Machinehead was talking about how "he is ready (or prepared)" for this series. Meaning, he is managing his expectations. I understand that, and it's not a hedge in case things get emotional, it's realistic: there is no "Rangers SHOULD have this, or SHOULD have that" if they lose. If they lose, it's shouldn't be a surprise, if games were played and called relatively evenly. Same thing if the Rangers win: bit of an analytic upset, but no one will be shocked except Devils fans.

If both teams get to play their game, *I* think it's a coin flip. But I am HOPEFUL the Rangers get a bit lucky, and Car gets a bit unlucky so I don't have a hernia sitting on my couch.

Reactions: JCProdigy

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I loved how the Rangers played the Caps. Even when the refs called stupid penalties against us, or the Caps were losing their minds, they didn't stop with the physicality. I think in previous seasons, this team played a bit too timid in that aspect. Yes, Trouba laid out Meir last playoffs...in Game 7...in the 3rd...while this team was down by 3.

And the Canes have players who are already banged up.
Other than Fast and Pesce who are out, is anyone playing through injuries?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Other than Fast and Pesce who are out, is anyone playing through injuries?

No need to wait that long. There will be some here screaming a near-death experience within the first minute with some Ranger being called an idiot.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'm hoping that Trouba's leg and Wennberg's wrist/arm have healed in the last week.

A key to this series is going to be screening Andersen and also to get Skjei and DeAngelo unhinged. DeAngelo can be forced into dumb penalties (Cullye and Rempe you have a mission) and Skjei is improved but still occasionally does dumb things with the puck.

Also watch out for Chatfield's shot. He has Igor's number.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
Jesper is a huge loss for them up front and no Pesce just compounds things for them. If Chytil gets in here, I feel we're blowing the doors off and winning in 5 or 6.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Jesper is a huge loss for them up front and no Pesce just compounds things for them. If Chytil gets in here, I feel we're blowing the doors off and winning in 5 or 6.
Pesce out legit hurts them, but their D is still more well rounded with Chatfield/Orlov than Brendan Smith taking regular shifts in 2022.

The hope is that Rempe can pound them in his limited shift, but he's going to have a hard time catching this group who skate well.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Chytil is a total wild card & I hope he's healthy enough to contribute & continue his career, but I think we should try to temper our expectations of what we'll get from him, especially in a tight checking playoff series.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
I happened to see that both Laviolet and Brindamore ere not in the top three for the Jack Adam’s award. The 2best coaches in the league this season and have 2 of the top teams in the league not get consideration is beyond me. It is well deserved for either one.
No Rangers coach has ever won the award. It's got to happen sometime.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Sooo

What's the story with Chytil?
The rest of the team is playing too well now and who comes out? Roslovic had a great first round, Wennberg is part of the PK and doing his best Jan Erixon as a center (great D and possession but no shots) and Rempe smash.

Laviollette isn't taking out Goodrow or Vesey.

Reactions: duhmetreE

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If I didn't hate what 11/7 did to the rotations I'd be suggesting Jones for Rempe.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The rest of the team is playing too well now and who comes out? Roslovic had a great first round, Wennberg is part of the PK and doing his best Jan Erixon as a center (great D and possession but no shots) and Rempe smash.

Laviollette isn't taking out Goodrow or Vesey.
So you take out Rempe. I know this will upset some people (and I like the kid don't get me wrong), but you definitely would rather have Chytil vs Rempe if it came to that.

Now I'm not saying it's the wrong approach not to change a winning lineup. It's not like we are talking about Auston Matthews here (the laffs have won the last two games without him). But if Chytil really is ready to go, as soon as you want to make a change for the lineup you do it and if it means Rempe sits then so be it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
So you take out Rempe. I know this will upset some people (and I like the kid don't get me wrong), but you definitely would rather have Chytil vs Rempe if it came to that.

Now I'm not saying it's the wrong approach not to change a winning lineup. It's not like we are talking about Auston Matthews here (the laffs have won the last two games without him). But if Chytil really is ready to go, as soon as you want to make a change for the lineup you do it and if it means Rempe sits then so be it.
The danger of taking Rempe out especially during a home game is the team doesn't have the same kind of juice and intensity which has happened a few times when he was out of the lineup.

You see how he does tomorrow. If he's chasing the play and can't lay any monster hits on the Canes D, then you absolutely make the change and shift Wennberg to 4C.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The danger of taking Rempe out especially during a home game is the team doesn't have the same kind of juice and intensity which has happened a few times when he was out of the lineup.

You see how he does tomorrow. If he's chasing the play and can't lay any monster hits on the Canes D, then you absolutely make the change and shift Wennberg to 4C.
Once again, not to throw shade on Rempe, but some of the posters here (and NYR fans in general) are just overestimating his value to the team lol. He brings a positive impact (as long as he doesn't cross the line lol), but to paint this picture that we are dependent on this guy is really not true. He has averaged 6:46 so far in 4 games. Cuylle is the guy with 2nd least TOI, at 10:36. This cannot continue on forever deeper into these playoffs. Either Laviolette has to play Rempe more, or he has to come out. We need players who you can actually throw out there consistently. And unfortunately, seems like Laviolette is not there yet with Rempe.

I think I'm fine with having him on for the first game, because it will dictate a lot about the series. If we need that physicality to win, then I guess. If we need more scoring, Chytil comes in and Rempe comes out. You make that determination after G1.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It doesn’t do much different when they are 11/6 in the third periods anyway cause rempe doesn’t play
You aren’t wrong.

But it would still be tough on Jones- hard to get enough minutes to be in the flow of the game and keep the blood flowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad