Soo Greyhounds 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
I never thought we would win game 7, after back to back 5-1 losses, but Hounds win and my Islanders beat Washington to clinch a playoff spot, so a great night all around :yo:

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Teams that wouldn't pay the price for Halvy at the deadline must be having second thought now. Snooze you lose!!

SSM likely asked a lot for him for starters and of the top contenders:
Erie, London, Kitchener, Kingston, Niagara (after Ned), Barrie- where we he be an upgrade out of those teams starters? You aren't getting him for a backup gig

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
While we are all being carried away by this playoff run, draft is on saturday, any idea as to who we might pick? We need help on D, really hope we can land Wilde if hes still available, and we have had a good success rate with americans reporting here. Anothet player i like that should be available when we pick is his teammate Pivonka but i think we neee to focus on getting a d man here. But either pick would look good in a hounds jersey

howndawg

Jan 24, 2009
SSM likely asked a lot for him for starters and of the top contenders:
Erie, London, Kitchener, Kingston, Niagara (after Ned), Barrie- where we he be an upgrade out of those teams starters? You aren't getting him for a backup gig

you left out Sarnia who settled for Graham.

Gouin Street

Jan 9, 2014
S.S.Marie
Great battle against a very good team in Sarnia. Now we draw the Erie Otters. This series gonna be very tough. I dont believe the Otters made any major moves prior to trade deadline and these players have been playing together all year. Erie is much more disciplined than Sarnia. In fact Soo and Erie were 2 of the lowest penalized teams in the regular season, along with Ottawa. Only difference is the Erie had a dynamic power play and got even better in the playoffs. The Otters also boast a top notch penalty kill. This is where the Hounds struggle both in the regular season and with their matchup vs Sarnia.

Players like Strome, DeBrincat, T.Raddysh and Maksimovich are game changers. Devin Williams has played alot of hockey this year and earned himself one of the best GAA and Save % in the regular season. His save % dipped significantly in the playoffs vs the 8 seed and not sure why.

Looking forward to more playoff hockey. Hounds are underdogs as we all know. And this is just fine with me. Go Hounds Go! :yo:

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Great battle against a very good team in Sarnia. Now we draw the Erie Otters. This series gonna be very tough. I dont believe the Otters made any major moves prior to trade deadline and these players have been playing together all year. Erie is much more disciplined than Sarnia. In fact Soo and Erie were 2 of the lowest penalized teams in the regular season, along with Ottawa. Only difference is the Erie had a dynamic power play and got even better in the playoffs. The Otters also boast a top notch penalty kill. This is where the Hounds struggle both in the regular season and with their matchup vs Sarnia.

Players like Strome, DeBrincat, T.Raddysh and Maksimovich are game changers. Devin Williams has played alot of hockey this year and earned himself one of the best GAA and Save % in the regular season. His save % dipped significantly in the playoffs vs the 8 seed and not sure why.

Looking forward to more playoff hockey. Hounds are underdogs as we all know. And this is just fine with me. Go Hounds Go! :yo:

We just have to play our game and we will be fine. Also, being road warriors helps. Last game we played against Erie we lost in OT 2-1, not a bad result in a game that we could have won if I remember correctly. Really need to see this team play better at the Essar though, can't figure out how they played so poorly at home, apart from game 4 in the Sarnia series.

Here is the thing. No one expected us to beat Sarnia, we did. Even less people believe we will beat Erie. Most are predicting Otters in 4 or 5 max. That's fine with me, and I am sure thats fine with the players. Last year, being expected to go all the way, I think put tremendous pressure on the team and they played tight. This year they can go into this series with no expectations. The pressure is on Erie.

All in all, should be a good series. I for one will be cheering loudly at the Essar on Monday/Wednsday.

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I had commented earlier about how weak I thought the Soo crowd was for Game 3. Seems like I was right in that it's well below average for SSM playoff games: https://www.sootoday.com/local-sports/sports-column-greyhounds-crowds-surprising-274957

People who complain about volume at a hockey arena need to screw off. It's a sporting event, yes the music's loud, yes people will make noise. You don't expect that? Adding that the Essar isnt loud at all to begin with.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
People who complain about volume at a hockey arena need to screw off. It's a sporting event, yes the music's loud, yes people will make noise. You don't expect that? Adding that the Essar isnt loud at all to begin with.

Agreed with all the above.....i've said it before and been chastised for it but the age factor has something to do with it i'm sure! Those in the...not even above 60 or possibly closer to 70 and above tend to complain alot about noise. Why not turn down your hearing aid...if you have one...or bring ear plugs? Also it's that same group who can't/won't or just are plain ignorant when it comes to internet, newspaper, radio and tv ads that ask us all to wear REDDDDDD!!!!

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Agreed with all the above.....i've said it before and been chastised for it but the age factor has something to do with it i'm sure! Those in the...not even above 60 or possibly closer to 70 and above tend to complain alot about noise. Why not turn down your hearing aid...if you have one...or bring ear plugs? Also it's that same group who can't/won't or just are plain ignorant when it comes to internet, newspaper, radio and tv ads that ask us all to wear REDDDDDD!!!!

Age demographics definitively has a lot to do with it, and I absolutely agree with what you said. Foam ear plugs aren't expensive, can be bought in bulk or turn down the hearing aid. With that being said the club doesn't see it that way because like it or not - they are a huge part of this fan base.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
I had commented earlier about how weak I thought the Soo crowd was for Game 3. Seems like I was right in that it's well below average for SSM playoff games: https://www.sootoday.com/local-sports/sports-column-greyhounds-crowds-surprising-274957

The economy here has something to do with it. And ticket prices have risen as well, they raise each year. Not that I am complaining about that but alot of people on fixed incomes and those who are unsure of their jobs in a few months may be hesitant to pay $25 for a ticket. What baffles me is the Season ticket holders not coming out, you already committed to a season, why not come out for playoffs? Again, I suppose ticket price may be a factor, but those that buy season tickets normally are those that can afford it more.

As for myself, I am not a season ticket holder and I have been to less games during the regular season compared to last year, it wasn't the same, the disappointment of last season got to me, and it wasnt ths same knowing your team is in rebuild mode, but I am making up for it in the playoffs and honestly, I am enjoying this ride more because its so unexpected. But anyways, I already got my game 3 and 4 tickets. Hope to see a better turnout in this series.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice

Agreed about noise, you can hear a pin drop at the Essar, its a very quiet building, apart from Game 4 in the Sarnia series. Heck, even the team's announcer during the game tries to get the fans to make noise, but even that doesnt work, so I dont think noise is much of a factor

louis

Apr 3, 2014
Well, these season ticket Holders happen to be in Florida.... but you wouldn't miss us old geezers who NEVER make any noise and just complain all the time anyway.

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Well, these season ticket Holders happen to be in Florida.... but you wouldn't miss us old geezers who NEVER make any noise and just complain all the time anyway.

I'm not generalizing the upper age brackets, I have a lot of older family who love going and being loud. Many more who are more enthusiastic than a lot of the younger generation is. I'm not trying to bash these people. It just appears that the vocal minority of complainers happens to be in that age group. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
I'm not generalizing the upper age brackets, I have a lot of older family who love going and being loud. Many more who are more enthusiastic than a lot of the younger generation is. I'm not trying to bash these people. It just appears that the vocal minority of complainers happens to be in that age group. Sorry if I offended anyone.

So if Erie flies up, maybe the fan club should load up a couple buses & scare the bajesus out of the Soo Faithful?

I've made the 10 hour + ride as a passenger, sure is great battery charging resting that long, when you get out you're ready to rock. 8 hours or less to the bridge as a driver makes the passengers a little stressed.
:)

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
So if Erie flies up, maybe the fan club should load up a couple buses & scare the bajesus out of the Soo Faithful?

I've made the 10 hour + ride as a passenger, sure is great battery charging resting that long, when you get out you're ready to rock. 8 hours or less to the bridge as a driver makes the passengers a little stressed.
:)

Wouldn't even be mad. Might wake the Essar up. Just be careful because they usually only have one ambulance at the arena, don't wanna scare them too good. /s. Also group tickets would probably be pretty easy to get the end Erie shoots twice, if you actually made the trek.

For our sake I hope this series sells well, and the crowd is loud. I'm pretty confident in saying neither team likes each other, more so from our side. So we might have that going. No McDavid this year though so that's not an attendance factor either.. Really excited to get started tomorrow, this is all just bonus hockey at this point. Maybe we can do some actual damage.

Also, I assume the games in Erie won't be televised? Hows the stream you pay for? I remember it wasn't that great two years ago.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
The stream is in house HD cameras now. Way better and you can actually see the puck and play. Worth the money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad