Social Media Septic Tank Thread

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I get what he’s trying to say. Particularly here in America, hockey is a very expensive sport, and that limits the player pool. Hell, people are paying 15k per year for 10 year olds to play travel hockey. As a person who played hockey growing up, but didn’t come from a family with a whole lot, I absolutely understand there is not an equality of opportunity for skill development. I also understand that creates jealousy. I would be lying if I said I didn’t feel some sort of jealousy of the kids who could play on all the travel/junior teams and I knew my parents couldn’t afford it…But it’s absolutely true that having money provides more opportunity for early skill development. Having money will open doors that remain closed for others.

With that being said, having the opportunity to develop skills is only that - an opportunity. You still have to work your ass off as a 5th round pick to even sniff an NHL contract let alone play 500+ games in the NHL. To take away from somebody’s accomplishment because they got an opportunity most don’t … I don’t know - it comes off as jealousy to me.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hyman’s dad sounds like the ultimate #HockeyParent though. Guy bought an entire scouting service in his son’s draft year. That’s next level. :laugh:

His career arc is pretty crazy though. Pretty much a non-prospect until he played his D+5 with Larkin, Copp, and Motte. Never stopped playing with stars after that. Tbf it takes a special skillset to play with those guys but pretty wild.

Somehow Mike Comrie could only manage 2 30 goal seasons despite his families wealth.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Went back and found the tweet that started it. Looks like they're done and Cal cannot come back up unless a goalie gets hurt

@GKJ I got Ant to answer my question this morning on the STG podcast and he is saying that the two callups of Brink & Attard were paper transactions and done before the deadline and that they still have two left.

1711546319603.png

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
@GKJ I got Ant to answer my question this morning on the STG podcast and he is saying that the two callups of Brink & Attard were paper transactions and done before the deadline and that they still have two left.

View attachment 842218
If they were called up before the deadline, that doesn’t count as being after the deadline. They had to have had been called up after it or else they wouldn’t be eligible to play in the AHL the rest of the season.

Might be something CF can get attention about.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
It's like when Charlie wakes up in the morning everything that happened previously no longer exists.

You certainly can't ask Torts that question the next time you see him or anything.

"Hey, Charlie."

"Hey, Alain."
It's also not as if Shaw can't be asked why Torts is skipping the presser. It may not be necessarily fair to him, but Torts isn't being fair to him either.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hyman’s dad sounds like the ultimate #HockeyParent though. Guy bought an entire scouting service in his son’s draft year. That’s next level. :laugh:

His career arc is pretty crazy though. Pretty much a non-prospect until he played his D+5 with Larkin, Copp, and Motte. Never stopped playing with stars after that. Tbf it takes a special skillset to play with those guys but pretty wild.

I definitely won't negate the hard work that Hyman has put in, but he certainly has been extremely lucky in life too. Between the silver spoon, playing with Matthews, and now playing with McDavid...this guy has had it made lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad