Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • DL

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Alright. So this is my way early, post-draft, pre-UDFA 53 man roster prediction

QB - 2 - Josh Allen, Mitchell Trubisky
RB - 4 - James Cook, Ty Johnson, Ray Davis, Reggie Gilliam
WR - 6 - Curtis Samuel, Khalil Shakir, Keon Coleman, Mack Hollins, KJ Hamler, Justin Shorter
TE - 3 - Dalton Kincaid, Dawson Knox, Quinton Morris
OT - 4 - Dion Dawkins, Spencer Brown, La'el Collins, Ryan Van Demark
OG - 3 - O'Cyrus Torrence, David Edwards, Will Clapp
C - 2 - Connor McGovern, Sed Van Pran-Grander
TOTAL OFFENSE: 24

DE - 5 - Groot, Von Miller, AJ Epenesa, Casey Toohill, Javon Solomon
DT - 5 - Ed Oilver, DaQuan Jones, Austin Johnson, DeShawn Williams, DeWayne Carter
LB - 6 - Matt Milano, Terrell Bernard, Nicolas Morrow, Baylon Spector, Dorian Williams, Edefuan Ulofoshio
CB - 6 - Rasul Douglas, Christian Benford, Taron Johnson, Kaiir Elam, Cam Lewis, Daequan Hardy
S - 4 - Cole Bishop, Mike Edwards, Taylor Rapp, Damar Hamlin
TOTAL DEFENSE: 26

K: Tyler Bass
P: Matt Haack
LS: Reid Ferguson

I think Alec Anderson makes it over Clapp. Especially since we drafted an actual center, I don't think they need Clapp for that anymore.

Rest seems pretty spot on. Maybe one of Hamler/Shorter gets edged by a player at another position, but I don't think they're keeping an 11th DL (Johnathan).

Herb Brooks: When you pull on that jersey, you represent yourself and your teammates. And the name on the front is a hell of alot more important than the one on the back! Get that through your head!

This guy: But coach...

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Eat a dick, Beane
OK, need an explanation from whoever deleted my KoolAid comment which was a simple joke about a nickname...First, why was my comment even deleted ??? And why is something like this not deleted ? Just trying to figure out the standards here..Am, I allowed to tell others on here to go eat a dic* ? Or are we only allowed to say that to people who aren't on HFBoards...I'm just trying to figure out what the standards are as this is not the first comment I've had deleted without explanation.

• Haha
Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think Alec Anderson makes it over Clapp. Especially since we drafted an actual center, I don't think they need Clapp for that anymore.

Rest seems pretty spot on. Maybe one of Hamler/Shorter gets edged by a player at another position, but I don't think they're keeping an 11th DL (Johnathan).
We'll see. That 53rd position for came down to exactly the players you mentioned -- Hamler, Shorter and Jonathan.

As of right now, I gave Hamler the edge as I think he starts as our KR and speed demon. I gave Shorter the edge due to gunner potential on punt coverage.

I still think there's a vet signing coming at both WR and S to give competition.

Reactions: NotABadPeriod

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
OK, need an explanation from whoever deleted my KoolAid comment which was a simple joke about a nickname...First, why was my comment even deleted ??? And why is something like this not deleted ? Just trying to figure out the standards here..Am, I allowed to tell others on here to go eat a dic* ? Or are we only allowed to say that to people who aren't on HFBoards...I'm just trying to figure out what the standards are as this is not the first comment I've had deleted without explanation.

Chill. You didn't post it in this thread. You posted it in the GDT in the football forum. And it's still there. Post #1214

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
How many punters were actually drafted? Of the ones that weren’t drafted, how many can we legally sign as UDFA’s so I never have to see Matt Haack kick a ball ever again?

I don’t even mind if he keeps his job as holder. The man cannot punt.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
"plus this "take shots at athletic tackles at the end of the draft" strategy has yet to produce a rosterable player"

We've only drafted one tackle at the end of the draft and that was Luke Tenuta who had a 4.93 RAS score. He wasn't athletic at all.
Bills have used day 3 picks on Nick Broeker, Luke Tenuta, Tommy Doyle, and Jack Anderson, none of them have been contributors to the team and other than Doyle I'm not sure any of them have even made our roster. It's just not a position where I think day 3 dart throws are particularly useful.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Chill. You didn't post it in this thread. You posted it in the GDT in the football forum. And it's still there. Post #1214
Sorry, Vapor, but this is pretty funny. Ive made that mistake many times. But, a good lesson Ive learned is- if I'm really peeved about something- I just don't post. Ive also deleted my fairshare of rough draft posts due to being a bit too aggressive.

As for the draft, they added at the positions I wanted (C, WR, S, DE), but went about it a different way than I would have. I disliked going DT and RB so early, but following up with a C and DE made that pill much easier to swallow. I also loved what Ive read about those guys.

Id give it a C+, but Im totally expecting one of those 4th or 5th round picks to become a very solid player for us.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The fact that everyone is so mum on why Rice fell tells me either, as @Husko said, he was just overhyped because of his dad to begin with. Or...I don't know maybe he's a prick. His interviews aren't exactly humble haha and this goes back to his high school stuff. I don't blame him since he grew up with Jerry as his dad but maybe his "average" talent on the NFL level is offset a bit by his personality.

If it was something that personnel and insiders felt comfortable stating, they already would have indicated why he dropped. That leads me to believe its a personality thing.
I never evaluated him off his dad, and even guys like Brugler had him rated way higher than a 7th.

Teams have access to interviews, and talk to people around the team. Brugler doesn’t really have that access. And fans don’t have that access at all.

If teams didn’t like his attitude, then that makes sense.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

3 punters on the camp roster seems excessive.

Back to the SDSU well I see

Appreciate it

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I never evaluated him off his dad, and even guys like Brugler had him rated way higher than a 7th.

Teams have access to interviews, and talk to people around the team. Brugler doesn’t really have that access. And fans don’t have that access at all.

If teams didn’t like his attitude, then that makes sense.
It could be a combo of there's a personality red flag + those in the know don't want to be the one to put it out there because they don't want to spurn the greatest receiver of all time. Brugler does have that kind of access, but he's more cognizant than anyone of not putting something out there that could hurt someone. He talked on air last night about one player's character concerns and how he got a team scout to help him find a way to phrase it in the beast in a way that would acknowledge it without hurting the kid in the public eye. If someone like him is that careful about a random player, I imagine he'll be twice so for Jerry Rice's kid.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think we’re about to see Brady take this offense full HT/VT hybrid, Saints style.

The Saints always had the big receiver/TE combo. Shockey/Colston, Graham/Thomas. And a bunch of faster receivers opening up space.

I also think we’ll see that offense with more running to keep things on track.

Not exactly the way I’d go but I see the logic.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Alright. So this is my way early, post-draft, pre-UDFA 53 man roster prediction

QB - 2 - Josh Allen, Mitchell Trubisky
RB - 4 - James Cook, Ty Johnson, Ray Davis, Reggie Gilliam
WR - 6 - Curtis Samuel, Khalil Shakir, Keon Coleman, Mack Hollins, KJ Hamler, Justin Shorter
TE - 3 - Dalton Kincaid, Dawson Knox, Quinton Morris
OT - 4 - Dion Dawkins, Spencer Brown, La'el Collins, Ryan Van Demark
OG - 3 - O'Cyrus Torrence, David Edwards, Will Clapp
C - 2 - Connor McGovern, Sed Van Pran-Grander
TOTAL OFFENSE: 24

DE - 5 - Groot, Von Miller, AJ Epenesa, Casey Toohill, Javon Solomon
DT - 5 - Ed Oilver, DaQuan Jones, Austin Johnson, DeShawn Williams, DeWayne Carter
LB - 6 - Matt Milano, Terrell Bernard, Nicolas Morrow, Baylon Spector, Dorian Williams, Edefuan Ulofoshio
CB - 6 - Rasul Douglas, Christian Benford, Taron Johnson, Kaiir Elam, Cam Lewis, Daequan Hardy
S - 4 - Cole Bishop, Mike Edwards, Taylor Rapp, Damar Hamlin
TOTAL DEFENSE: 26

K: Tyler Bass
P: Matt Haack
LS: Reid Ferguson
This looks pretty good. Having Elam as the only backup boundary corner feels super light. Cam is a backup S/NC and Hardy is probably NC only, so if they both make the team I have to imagine Hamlin does not and Ingram or someone to be signed gets a spot there. Other than that, Hamler's spot strikes me as up for grabs. And Kingsley is someone they like and I'm sure they'll want to find room for if they can.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
It could be a combo of there's a personality red flag + those in the know don't want to be the one to put it out there because they don't want to spurn the greatest receiver of all time. Brugler does have that kind of access, but he's more cognizant than anyone of not putting something out there that could hurt someone. He talked on air last night about one player's character concerns and how he got a team scout to help him find a way to phrase it in the beast in a way that would acknowledge it without hurting the kid in the public eye. If someone like him is that careful about a random player, I imagine he'll be twice so for Jerry Rice's kid.
Good points.

Brugler does have access but I would bet it’s not quite as deep as we might think.

NFL scouts talk to coaches, teammates, etc. I don’t know if Brugler has the time to travel and have those conversations. Plus, the scouting game is real nepotistic. Coaches aren’t going to reveal that stuff to non-team scouts.

I remember reading reports where the scouts were checking with trainers to see what players ate. It gets deep.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
This looks pretty good. Having Elam as the only backup boundary corner feels super light. Cam is a backup S/NC and Hardy is probably NC only, so if they both make the team I have to imagine Hamlin does not and Ingram or someone to be signed gets a spot there. Other than that, Hamler's spot strikes me as up for grabs. And Kingsley is someone they like and I'm sure they'll want to find room for if they can.
I wonder if they carry 5 wide outs and Lewis is the CB/S hybrid and they keep Ingram. Ingram hold his own

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
Bills have used day 3 picks on Nick Broeker, Luke Tenuta, Tommy Doyle, and Jack Anderson, none of them have been contributors to the team and other than Doyle I'm not sure any of them have even made our roster. It's just not a position where I think day 3 dart throws are particularly useful.
Well you said "athletic tackles" that weren't rosterable players. Broeker & Anderson are guards who were claimed by other teams. Anderson has started games. There's also day 3 pick Wyatt Teller who started 7 games for us & became an all-pro on the Browns.

"It's just not a position where I think day 3 dart throws are particularly useful."

Based on what? All the data that I've seen have OL & DB as the highest success rates on day 3 picks.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Well you said "athletic tackles" that weren't rosterable players. Broeker & Anderson are guards who were claimed by other teams. Anderson has started games. There's also day 3 pick Wyatt Teller who started 7 games for us & became an all-pro on the Browns.

"It's just not a position where I think day 3 dart throws are particularly useful."

Based on what? All the data that I've seen have OL & DB as the highest success rates on day 3 picks.
Broeker was a college LT.

I think IOL has a decent day 3 hit rate. Functional tackle play is near-impossible to find outside of the highest rounds. That's specifically the position I don't think the dart throws are worth it.

More precisely, I think it's a particularly ill-suited position for trying the draft - > PS route, because it's in such high demand around the league that if the player shows an iota of potential, they're going to get snatched up by another team. Although guards, 3 linemen we've drafted finding success elsewhere after we couldn't fit them in here just reenforces that point for me, rather than reassuring me we should keep doing it.

Put it this way: the bills have used 5 picks outside the top 150 on offensive lineman. How many would you call success stories for the Bills?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Super duper crazy theory. Bills already have a post June 1 trade done.

For a WR

In exchange for draft picks

From a cap strapped team

A player who maybe no longer fits the timeline, or the coaching staff there

Who will be a true X

While Keon will be a big slot

Any guesses who I’m thinking of?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad