Social Media Septic Tank Thread

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Flyers have beaten Flordia, Dallas, Boston, Leafs, Jets.....

They have lost 4 of there top 6 defenseman and their #1 goaltender. I'm highly confident in stating that we would comfortably be in 3rd and challenging 2nd without those issues right now. The fact that they are in 3rd while sustaining that shows you that they haven't been mediocre at all.
If NJ was playing at a 112 point pace like last year, we would not be sniffing 3rd, let alone challenging for 2nd.

There RECORD says they are mediocre.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I mean that can be said every year about half the playoff field, no? There are always underachieving teams, teams that deal with a lot of unexpected injuries, teams that play better than expected, etc. I'm of course not suggesting that this team is bound for glory, but pretending like they are only in 3rd because of everything else and not because of them is silly. You still have to win the games. Those teams taking steps backwards or choking is part of the deal. Other teams could have stepped up and filled the void but they didn't. This organization remains poorly run regardless of what happens the rest of the season, but give credit where credit is due. It is ok to say that this team is better than we thought. It doesn't mean you think that Briere or the Flyers or whomever did a great job or that you think they're heading in the right direction. It just means the team is better than we thought.
I have no issue saying the Flyers are better than expected. But again, we went from bad, to mediocre. We are still not good.

Yes we are in 3rd. But again, it's because NJ went from a 112 point team to now on a 84 pt pace...that has nothing to do with the Flyers.

Now for NYI, Wash, Pitt....most have been hoping/expecting a decline in those teams for awhile. This year they dropped, we moved up, and here we are.

And to further the point, it was shown earlier than in years past this #3 seed normally has WAY more points than it does now. We are taking advantage of that. Kudos.

But again, we have as many losses as wins this year. Regardless where that puts us in the standings, it's mediocre.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
They’ve beaten Boston, Carolina, Colorado, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Toronto, Tampa, and Vegas. The Penguins can’t be just mediocre.

All of these roads are dead ends. It’s an overly long regular season in a game dominated by variance. You can make these H2Hs say basically whatever you want outside of the truly awful teams.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Don't worry about seeds in the Mickey Mouse divisional format. The Flyers are 16th overall when we probably expected them to be 22nd. That's nice, but nothing amazing. And they are primed for regression next season just like every other Flyers team that made the playoffs since 2012.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Like most people have said, I don't think they are significantly better than expected. I think Torts has done a good job getting the most out of this team, but this forward roster is significantly better than last season.

Last season, they played guys like Willman, Desnoyers, J. Cates, Lemiuex, Bellows, McEwan, Hodgson, Allison, Laczynski (who I thought played decently but I don't mind he's not with the Flyers) -- hell Deslauriers played 80 games last season. They replaced those guys with Hathaway, Poehling, Atkinson, and Couts. All of those guys were legit NHL players prior to the start of last season. They also included Brink and Foerster who have performed like legit NHL players, which BTW they both rank rather highly in rookie statistics. I'll probably make an extended post about it at the end of the season.

I think the defensive group is better than I personally expected, in that it didn't regress into shambles. I thought Seeler's season last year was more likely to be a flash in the pan (based on previous seasons), and Risto and Staal were going to be tank commanders. I didn't know what to expect from Walker. Staal has been crappy, but Risto has been very good in his injury-plagued season, and Seeler has played well for a second season in a row...who could have guessed Walker would have been as good as he was.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I never got why some in the Philly media were dicks to Stolie who did pretty well here apart from suffering two really unfortunately timed knee injuries. Frank S was also trying to bury the kid.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I never got why some in the Philly media were dicks to Stolie who did pretty well here apart from suffering two really unfortunately timed knee injuries. Frank S was also trying to bury the kid.

Is there ever a time when Philly media are not being dicks?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Like most people have said, I don't think they are significantly better than expected. I think Torts has done a good job getting the most out of this team, but this forward roster is significantly better than last season.

Last season, they played guys like Willman, Desnoyers, J. Cates, Lemiuex, Bellows, McEwan, Hodgson, Allison, Laczynski (who I thought played decently but I don't mind he's not with the Flyers) -- hell Deslauriers played 80 games last season. They replaced those guys with Hathaway, Poehling, Atkinson, and Couts. All of those guys were legit NHL players prior to the start of last season. They also included Brink and Foerster who have performed like legit NHL players, which BTW they both rank rather highly in rookie statistics. I'll probably make an extended post about it at the end of the season.

I think the defensive group is better than I personally expected, in that it didn't regress into shambles. I thought Seeler's season last year was more likely to be a flash in the pan (based on previous seasons), and Risto and Staal were going to be tank commanders. I didn't know what to expect from Walker. Staal has been crappy, but Risto has been very good in his injury-plagued season, and Seeler has played well for a second season in a row...who could have guessed Walker would have been as good as he was.

What's going on with Risto anyway? Did he die?

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Cup success is a tough thing to find. Edmonton, and Toronto haven’t found it - but their fanbases have the fun of following a career of guys like McDavid, Drai, Matthews, or Marner.

There are a lot of stars in the league, that happen to be on teams that do not ever hit the last dance of skating around with Stanley.

In a league of superstars, the Flyers have given us a construction worker team that I’m supposed to be excited about following?

f*** off with selling Konecny, York, Tippet or Farabee as something exciting - when comparing to the rest of the league.

This is a pathetic team to try to market, unless your management group really only cares about the broad street bully/alumni/maximum effort intangible thing.

They are very much an outlier in the league, and proud of it. f*** ‘em.
Great f***ing post!

Would have change with Toronto in a heartbeat the last years.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany

Respect for this honest words @Myrtman

The Flyers need to fix the goalie thing for decades. Hopefully the new goalies in the system are developed better and get real chances with the franchise. We have had good to solid goalkeeper but we traded or didnt resign them. This need to stop!

Reactions: BernieParent

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
Not caring about the outcome of a game tomorrow and not caring about the direction of the franchise are different issues. I would think we all understand that.
Exactly. I really don't care about the games this season. Sure, it's fun to see them not look like a constant dumpster fire. Especially in the moments when it's on the backs of the younger guys. But I don't care if they win or lose and I don't care if they make the playoffs.

I care about the future of the franchise. I care about them not being a mediocre, middle of the pack team with no realistic chance to contend. I'm tired of that. I'd rather shoot for the stars and miss, and I don't know if I'm gonna stay around for another cycle of mediocrity if they haven't learned their lesson. I still see no plan to acquire elite talent required to be an actual contender, and that greatly concerns me.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The people who are positive about the team are the equivalent of a fan at a hockey game who sees a goal get scored and excitedly jumps out of their seat to yell and cheer.

The fan then looks around and gets upset when he realizes that the people around him aren’t equally as excited as he is.

Problem is, those “negative” people around him saw the goal but they also realize that the team is still losing by 6 goals on the scoreboard, with 5 seconds left in the 3rd period.

The goal didn’t even matter. The team is still f***ed.

And actually the analogy would be more accurate if scoring that goal took away one of the teams points on the scoreboard and got them even further from winning, which is exactly what every current win is doing.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
The people who are positive about the team are the equivalent of a fan at a hockey game who sees a goal get scored and excitedly jumps out of their seat to yell and cheer.

The fan then looks around and gets upset when he realizes that the people around him aren’t equally as excited as he is.

Problem is, those “negative” people around him saw the goal but they also realize that the team is still losing by 6 goals on the scoreboard, with 5 seconds left in the 3rd period.

The goal didn’t even matter. The team is still f***ed.

And actually the analogy would be more accurate if scoring that goal took away one of the teams points on the scoreboard and got them even further from winning, which is exactly what every current win is doing.
Also, his lame scorned ex-girlfriend analogy isn’t very useful and shows he fundamentally misunderstands the situation. This is more akin to watching a dear childhood friend slip into addiction and then getting burned over and over again every time they promise you that they’re finally going to kick the habit this time but end up stealing money out of your wallet instead. After a while, you realize that they might still be your friend but you need to keep them at arm’s length just for your own sanity.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
I've only been posting since the start of the season, but I get that it probably feels like a year, it's my dazzling personality.

What's "f***ing boring" and "insufferable" was the same 5 people shitting all over anyone that dares to appreciate that this team is fun to watch this year, while allowing them to have the same concerns about the direction of the franchise. They even ridicule others that arent on this board, like a screaming bunch of toddlers.

I've never had an issue with negative people, just the same ones that drive away people who provide quality content and insights on this board. But why let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Side note, The whole "I don't care" shtick is way more insufferable.

This you?

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Also, his lame scorned ex-girlfriend analogy isn’t very useful and shows he fundamentally misunderstands the situation. This is more akin to watching a dear childhood friend slip into addiction and then getting burned over and over again every time they promise you that they’re finally going to kick the habit this time but end up stealing money out of your wallet instead. After a while, you realize that they might still be your friend but you need to keep them at arm’s length just for your own sanity.
The trouble with using the ignore feature, is that there are most definitely people that use incognito to read the posts and post anyway, regardless of it being against the rules of the site. No doubt absolutely disparaging. So what's the point?

Yup. Pretty sure I ducked out of posting for years after that because i realised it just wasnt healthy anymore. I could be having a brain aneurysm though.

I'll jump out at this point. Things are getting a bit to personal and these thinly veiled attacks aren't good for anyone.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
It's telling that Briere emphasized that they didn't want the Flyers to be a team with a pattern of making and then missing the playoffs but now look like this is exactly their trajectory.
I don't think anyone in the front office actually saw us making the playoffs this year, so it's just a bonus if we do.

We still have 4 first rounders in the next 2 drafts, with Michov to join. Not to mention that Frost, Foerster, Brink, Attard and Farabee have all taken major strides forward this year. I still hope that Laughton is traded before the draft.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
The trouble with using the ignore feature, is that there are most definitely people that use incognito to read the posts and post anyway, regardless of it being against the rules of the site. No doubt absolutely disparaging. So what's the point?

Yup. Pretty sure I ducked out of posting for years after that because i realised it just wasnt healthy anymore. I could be having a brain aneurysm though.

I'll jump out at this point. Things are getting a bit to personal and these thinly veiled attacks aren't good for anyone.
Do whatever you feel is right for you, but you don't need to leave, you just need to stop yelling at people for being angry with the team and/or unmoved by the new era of orange, and if you write something ill-advised - like giving Torts credit for (maybe?) overcoming shooting himself in the foot - then expect pushback. Otherwise, it's all good.

And the ignore is for you. You get to ignore anyone you don't feel like reading for a more pleasant experience. By all means feel free to put me or anyone else on ignore. I have exactly zero people on ignore, but others have a cast of thousands on their lists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad