Social Media Septic Tank Thread

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
They aren't doing "ok".

This place is terrible for giving credit to people they don't like.

There isn't a single person in the hockey world that had this team in playoff contention. Not one. This team is playing far above its collective ability. You can shit on Torts all you want for his many, many flaws, but like it or not, this team is playing good hockey.
This was literally my greatest fear, which I posted repeatedly on this forum before the season started, so you're wrong. They are doing "ok" and there is no other way to frame it. They are 3rd in the division up 4 points on the Caps who have 2 games in hand, so the playoffs are hardly guaranteed at this point. And I hate to break it to you, but playing good hockey would include having a functional power play.

They're going to end up exactly where I don't want them to, firmly in the middle, extending their irrelevance for another half decade plus, because #darkesttimeline.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
This was literally my greatest fear, which I posted repeatedly on this forum before the season started, so you're wrong. They are doing "ok" and there is no other way to frame it. They are 3rd in the division up 4 points on the Caps who have 2 games in hand, so the playoffs are hardly guaranteed at this point. And I hate to break it to you, but playing good hockey would include having a functional power play.

They're going to end up exactly where I don't want them to, firmly in the middle, extending their irrelevance for another half decade plus, because #darkesttimeline.
I thought it was implied, but by hockey world, I meant people involved with the game + media.

I hate to break it to you, but this team doing "ok" has knocked off pretty much every dominant team in the league this year while making the West their bitch. It's also really good hockey to watch.

Question, do you watch the games at this point? Or just cringe at every post game when you see the result?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Yeah, I don't know why we're giving Torts credit for the team being ok despite his horrendous work on the power play. People just looking to be optimistic, I suppose.

Columbus in 18-19 was the 2nd worst PP in xGF/60 and 4th worst in GF/60. For the "need talent" brigade, that was with Panarin, Werenski, Jones, Dubois, Atkinson, Anderson, Jenner, Bjorkstrand, Duclair, etc.

Tortorella teams stinking on the PP is a feature.

I thought they'd be in the 11-15 range. The reality is the Devils being injured opened things up, otherwise the Flyers would be in and out of the 2nd wildcard. There's a lot of disappointing teams in the East, and the Flyers filled the vacuum. It's very possible they miss next season.

I do think the Flyers are playing very well and above their talent. But there's a conversation to be had that this is the perfect talent level for Tortorella to get the most out of......sub-contender. I'm not convinced he knows how to maximize a real contender. There's an argument he hasn't coached a contending talent roster since ~2006. Getting the most out of middle 6 guys + goaltending + defense is what he did on the Rangers and Blue Jackets.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
I thought it was implied, but by hockey world, I meant people involved with the game + media.

I hate to break it to you, but this team doing "ok" has knocked off pretty much every dominant team in the league this year while making the West their bitch. It's also really good hockey to watch.

Question, do you watch the games at this point? Or just cringe at every post game when you see the result?

What the f*** do any of us care what the "hockey world" thinks? It hasn't any significance at all.

I'm already on the record as barely having watched any games the last couple of years, which let me tell you is quite something for this 35+ year fan. That's how apathetic I feel about the team. And I don't cringe at the results, because I simply don't care. It doesn't matter if this team is the 6th seed, a wild card team, or just misses out. The end result is the same: mediocrity.

Columbus in 18-19 was the 2nd worst PP in xGF/60 and 4th worst in GF/60. For the "need talent" brigade, that was with Panarin, Werenski, Jones, Dubois, Atkinson, Anderson, Jenner, Bjorkstrand, Duclair, etc.

Tortorella teams stinking on the PP is a feature.

I thought they'd be in the 11-15 range. The reality is the Devils being injured opened things up, otherwise the Flyers would be in and out of the 2nd wildcard. There's a lot of disappointing teams in the East, and the Flyers filled the vacuum. It's very possible they miss next season.

I do think the Flyers are playing very well and above their talent. But there's a conversation to be had that this is the perfect talent level for Tortorella to get the most out of......sub-contender. I'm not convinced he knows how to maximize a real contender. There's an argument he hasn't coached a contending talent roster since ~2006. Getting the most out of middle 6 guys + goaltending + defense is what he did on the Rangers and Blue Jackets.

Yeah, my comments at the beginning of the season were something along the lines of Torts could squeeze enough wins to make the playoffs with just about any roster they put in front of him. But I don't care about making the playoffs.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
What the f*** do any of us care what the "hockey world" thinks? It hasn't any significance at all.

I'm already on the record as barely having watched any games the last couple of years, which let me tell you is quite something for this 35+ year fan. That's how apathetic I feel about the team. And I don't cringe at the results, because I simply don't care. It doesn't matter if this team is the 6th seed, a wild card team, or just misses out. The end result is the same: mediocrity.

Yeah, my comments at the beginning of the season were something along the lines of Torts could squeeze enough wins to make the playoffs with just about any roster they put in front of him. But I don't care about making the playoffs.

😂 Good for you, that's really showing them.

Stating you don't really care about the team, but getting angry on a Flyers forum and writing lengthy replies....that's peak boomer right there. It's funny how many of you are around.

STAHP ENJOYING THE FLYERS, WE SUCK!!! STOP HAVING FUN!!!

mja

Jan 7, 2005
😂 Good for you, that's really showing them.

Stating you don't really care about the team, but getting angry on a Flyers forum and writing lengthy replies....that's peak boomer right there. It's funny how many of you are around.

STAHP ENJOYING THE FLYERS, WE SUCK!!! STOP HAVING FUN!!!

My guy, do you. Seriously, have fun! Be positive! Enjoy yourself! I don't care one iota. Just don't type stupid shit like "look at how well Torts has them playing" and then make it sound like it's some sort of accomplishment that they're overcoming a historically bad power play, because that doesn't make any f***ing sense and you're going to get called out for it. Also, they're now just 2 points ahead of the Caps, who still have 2 games in hand. They have 3 points on Detroit, who has a game in hand. Shit's getting close. I don't follow prospects, so I'd just as soon they'd make the playoffs at this point, but I do wonder what the fallout would be if they came up short.

Also, boomer? Really? Boomers love this team! And Torts is like their patron saint!
No, the apathy and nihilism should be a dead giveaway as to my generational cohort.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
They aren't doing "ok".

This place is terrible for giving credit to people they don't like.

There isn't a single person in the hockey world that had this team in playoff contention. Not one. This team is playing far above its collective ability. You can shit on Torts all you want for his many, many flaws, but like it or not, this team is playing good hockey.
There was a pretty large contingent (including myself) that predicted this team would finish in the ~80 points range, which looks like it's going to be about 5 wins less than where this team will actually finish. It's not like most of us thought this would be a 50 point team, especially if Couts played a full season.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
as Magua said, NJ shitting the bed is the only reason the Flyers are 3rd in the division. Oh, and NYI and Pitt took steps backwards. We filled the void.

Flyers have as many losses as it does wins. They are mediocre. Congrats?
Flyers have beaten Flordia, Dallas, Boston, Leafs, Jets.....

They have lost 4 of there top 6 defenseman and their #1 goaltender. I'm highly confident in stating that we would comfortably be in 3rd and challenging 2nd without those issues right now. The fact that they are in 3rd while sustaining that shows you that they haven't been mediocre at all.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Flyers have beaten Flordia, Dallas, Boston, Leafs, Jets.....

They have lost 4 of there top 6 defenseman and their #1 goaltender. I'm highly confident in stating that we would comfortably be in 3rd and challenging 2nd without those issues right now. The fact that they are in 3rd while sustaining that shows you that they haven't been mediocre at all.
They beat good teams in a one game sample size during the course of a 82 game season? Hang the banners!

The reason they're in third is that the other teams blow and are handing it to the Flyers. They're 16 points behind the Hurricanes. Those players aren't closing that gap. To believe that is copium.

They likely will be fighting for a WC2 spot in short order which is the very definition of mediocre.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I thought they had a good shot of sneaking in last year before the Couturier news. I sure didn't think any different this year. The difference between picking ~11 and ~17 is not nearly as big as it feels. Those teams are all similar. Variance will always exist and drive narratives to ridiculous degrees.

They've had great injury luck and Tortorella gets a tremendous amount out of these mediocre rosters, which is what they have. That has nothing whatsoever to do with being on the treadmill. The difficulty curve of taking each successive step up the NHL ladder is hilariously steep. You have to have the proverbial nitro to hit when you need it.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
as Magua said, NJ shitting the bed is the only reason the Flyers are 3rd in the division. Oh, and NYI and Pitt took steps backwards. We filled the void.

Flyers have as many losses as it does wins. They are mediocre. Congrats?
I mean that can be said every year about half the playoff field, no? There are always underachieving teams, teams that deal with a lot of unexpected injuries, teams that play better than expected, etc. I'm of course not suggesting that this team is bound for glory, but pretending like they are only in 3rd because of everything else and not because of them is silly. You still have to win the games. Those teams taking steps backwards or choking is part of the deal. Other teams could have stepped up and filled the void but they didn't. This organization remains poorly run regardless of what happens the rest of the season, but give credit where credit is due. It is ok to say that this team is better than we thought. It doesn't mean you think that Briere or the Flyers or whomever did a great job or that you think they're heading in the right direction. It just means the team is better than we thought.

Reactions: BritainStix

mja

Jan 7, 2005
It is ok to say that this team is better than we thought. It doesn't mean you think that Briere or the Flyers or whomever did a great job or that you think they're heading in the right direction. It just means the team is better than we thought.

They aren't better, they are exactly where I and many others feared they'd be: the middle. It's the worst possible outcome.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They aren't better, they are exactly where I and many others feared they'd be: the middle. It's the worst possible outcome.

Honestly I don't even care anymore about what being in the middle means for their Cup hopes. At least this year they are entertaining to watch. I've already accepted i'm probably not going to see them win a Cup. I just want something entertaining to watch after the Hakstol and Vigneault years nearly broke me.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I do not remember anyone saying this is where they thought the team would be. I do remember a lot of, "Watch, they'll end up overachieving and making the playoffs to get swept because that's the luck we have" type of posts. There were not posts saying "this is a playoff team" or seriously predicting a playoff birth. The overwhelming consensus here and in the media in general was this was a bottom five team.

Maybe I am remembering it wrong, as that happens frequently, but this team was bad on paper before the season started. They finished in the bottom 10 last year and in the offseason made a handful of what everyone agreed were pretty bad roster moves. No one thought Walker was going to play the way he did. People seemed pretty sure Poehling wasn't going to be anything impactful. Tippett wasn't supposed to have the season he is having, etc. You mean to tell me that you thought they were an improved team despite the fact that it was largely the same roster with a couple of new garbage players that people were hoping were brought in to be flipped at the deadline? Come on.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There was a pretty large contingent (including myself) that predicted this team would finish in the ~80 points range, which looks like it's going to be about 5 wins less than where this team will actually finish. It's not like most of us thought this would be a 50 point team, especially if Couts played a full season.
Right, they had 75 points last season without Couturier playing a minute.

Honestly I don't even care anymore about what being in the middle means for their Cup hopes. At least this year they are entertaining to watch. I've already accepted i'm probably not going to see them win a Cup. I just want something entertaining to watch after the Hakstol and Vigneault years nearly broke me.
I enjoy watching the games where the lineup doesn't have shockingly bad decisions that are made out of spite and pettiness, rather than anything to do with winning hockey games.

So maybe 50 out of 72 this season.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
You're a Xennial, right? Worst of both. ;)

My problem is that if they're not going to be truly competitive or building towards that for the next ~5 years, then why am I wasting my time? If I'm not on the back 9 already, I'm getting damed close. My time is too valuable for this shit.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
I do not remember anyone saying this is where they thought the team would be. I do remember a lot of, "Watch, they'll end up overachieving and making the playoffs to get swept because that's the luck we have" type of posts. There were not posts saying "this is a playoff team" or seriously predicting a playoff birth. The overwhelming consensus here and in the media in general was this was a bottom five team.

Maybe I am remembering it wrong, as that happens frequently, but this team was bad on paper before the season started. They finished in the bottom 10 last year and in the offseason made a handful of what everyone agreed were pretty bad roster moves. No one thought Walker was going to play the way he did. People seemed pretty sure Poehling wasn't going to be anything impactful. Tippett wasn't supposed to have the season he is having, etc. You mean to tell me that you thought they were an improved team despite the fact that it was largely the same roster with a couple of new garbage players that people were hoping were brought in to be flipped at the deadline? Come on.

This is roughly where I thought they'd be. They have some nice secondary pieces, enough of them to make the playoffs on a Torts-coached team to be sure. Konecny is a legitimate star 1st line winger. Frost is the player I thought he was. Tippet's tracking pretty much exactly how most of us thought he would after last season. Sanheim, York, Foerster, etc. are all decent players. I liked Poehling and thought he was an interesting pick-up. Couts has been up and down coming back from injury. I haven't minded what I've seen out of Zamula, Brink, etc. I think they only thing I've found surprising this year was Walker.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Cup success is a tough thing to find. Edmonton, and Toronto haven’t found it - but their fanbases have the fun of following a career of guys like McDavid, Drai, Matthews, or Marner.

There are a lot of stars in the league, that happen to be on teams that do not ever hit the last dance of skating around with Stanley.

In a league of superstars, the Flyers have given us a construction worker team that I’m supposed to be excited about following?

f*** off with selling Konecny, York, Tippet or Farabee as something exciting - when comparing to the rest of the league.

This is a pathetic team to try to market, unless your management group really only cares about the broad street bully/alumni/maximum effort intangible thing.

They are very much an outlier in the league, and proud of it. f*** ‘em.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Right, they had 75 points last season without Couturier playing a minute.

I enjoy watching the games where the lineup doesn't have shockingly bad decisions that are made out of spite and pettiness, rather than anything to do with winning hockey games.

So maybe 50 out of 72 this season.

This I will agree with. That shit does still bother me.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They’re better than we thought because other teams have underachieved so much, and they did not. No one thought the Flyers would be this good, but they also have won exactly as many games as they lost and everyone thought pretty much every team behind them besides Montreal would be in the game to make the playoffs, and instead there’s really only 2 of them.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad