Post-Game Talk: Slafstudsky and Slick Nick lead the way as Habs defeat the Ducks

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Fun game! Good to beat down a team for once.

Ducks have a guy named Fowler, LMAO never noticed that before. Did they get him for the name?

Dunno why their goon guy was on at the end there, oh wait we all know why. So sad he came away with the bloody nose screaming threats. Weakest guys are always the loudest. Always.

View attachment 819209
I'm not surprised they would put their shit disturbers out for the last shift.

Pat verbeek is running that ship. He was titled the little ball of hate, and he wants to build that team the same way.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Slafkovsky, at every new level in his career, has needed some time to adapt. Slovakia juniors, Slovakia national team, Liiga, etc. Slow starts but then figures it out. It seems it's the same in the NHL.

He was placed on the 1st line in december (IIRC) and has progressively developed a chemistry with Suzuki. Last year and at tge beginning of this one (coming back from injury), you could see that he was lost or a step late on plays. Then he started to get acclimated. He wasnt burning villages on the first line at first but you could see him starting to understand the game more and getting chances, also using his big body more to his advantage. Since the last 10-15 games it's finally showing on the score sheet.

Edit : honestly, it's kind of scary how good he is for a 19 year old. The progression from earlier this year and last season to now points a promising trajectory. Imagine at 25, having finished developing physically? It's pretty exciting as a Habs fan, I dont even know who was the last big-bodied 1st line talent we've had in the system. Leclair?

I don't think I've seen someone with this blend of size and skill before in my decades of following the team.

Although kovalev was really strong, and he doesn't get credit for it, but he was more like 6'2ish.

Latendresse had skill and size, but couldn't skate.

I don't think anyone saw what leclair was going to become in Philly. He had his moments in Montreal but at that point, he didn't look to have the same offensive package.

I'll also throw in zubrus. He had some pretty good skill and was a huge guy, but it never quite came together for him as far as being a top line threat.

salwan

Nov 4, 2023
a.PNG

lol at Marty's face after Slaf's goal tonight

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
How was Zegras?

How many 1sts should the Habs give up for him based on his play last night?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I don't think anyone saw what leclair was going to become in Philly. He had his moments in Montreal but at that point, he didn't look to have the same offensive package.
I did. Lindros effect added some, but I saw a power forward that could dominate. Problem was, the club wanted him to be a center. While I liked getting Recchi, I hated giving up Leclair to do it. He should have been on Koivu's wing.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Hi Habs fans question about Slafkovsky - what exactly has been the strategy for player development there? is he on the top line this year? is that where he was last year too? just trying to understand. nice to see him do well! cheers

Slaf was drafted already physically ready for the NHL but very raw and specially had zero experience on NHL ice. The development strategy was to keep him in the NHL where he had access to all the Habs resources and bring him along slowly. First season he played 39 games due to injury and was mainly bottom 6 and no PP time.

Behind the scenes the kid would stay and STILL stays 45-60 minutes after practice working. Last season was mainly with Adam Nichols, our development coach and with MSL, mainly on things like off the puck positioning, board play, defensive play. This season they have started to incorporate shooting drills, stick handling drills, one timer drills and adding little skills here and there like the toe drag goal he used the other day.

The key is the kid is a sponge and WANTS to be the best. He works insanely hard after practice and the Habs have developed a plan for him. Here the had more pressure true but most fans have been patient with him and understood it would take time. He has this uncanny ability to pick up information and skills quickly and incorporate them into his game. Every couple of weeks we see something in a game that we have seen in his practice footage.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I don't think I've seen someone with this blend of size and skill before in my decades of following the team.

Although kovalev was really strong, and he doesn't get credit for it, but he was more like 6'2ish.

Latendresse had skill and size, but couldn't skate.

I'll also throw in zubrus. He had some pretty good skill and was a huge guy, but it never quite came together for him as far as being a top line threat.
Talk about rushing a guy. Flyers picked Zubrus at 15 I think and straight to NHL because he was massive. This even though due to paperwork issues he had played in a low tier league his draft year. He should have played juniors. Development was awful.

LeClair wasn't utilized with the top guys here as I recall.

Tender was slow but could score, and he showed it with Minnesota especially. Martin just hated his game as Tender wouldn't park in front of the net, so he was traded away.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
He was pretty coveted for a minute too.
He was, but I'm fairly certain that was a typical @HabSgt joke, and they are well aware of Fowler.

You dont have only a future hockey star in Slafkovsky. You have also a media star.

Dear Juraj, learn some French phrases and Montreal will be yours.
This city is his for the taking, the 3 stars really showed me that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad