Post-Game Talk: Slafstudsky and Slick Nick lead the way as Habs defeat the Ducks

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It was fun to watch, the GDT was awesome as well, a great night all around.
Just like the good ol days!!

We are a work in progress.......a nice win for sure, after the debacle on sunday.

You dont have only a future hockey star in Slafkovsky. You have also a media star.

Dear Juraj, learn some French phrases and Montreal will be yours.
I nominate Rehabs to help Slaf learn a few tidbits of french........they need the time together....

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Its funny that some supposedly experts are judging this season by the standings. The picture is clarifying on many young players and its very positive for most of them. We have 4 top 6 players with Slaf Suzuki CC and Dach. We have a bunch of prospects having good/great season outside the NHL: Dobes Bogdan,Engstrom,Kapanen,Eriksson, Roy,Mesar,Beck,Mailloux. KH got some great assets to continue improving the pipeline or the NHL team . Beside Dach’s injury this season is a succes all the way imo and the other good news is we’re getting closer to never have to watch again Pearson, Dvorak Allen etc etc in a Hab uniform!!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
View attachment 819376

lol at Marty's face after Slaf's goal tonight
I'm starting to believe Marty has taken full ownership of PP1 going back to when he said they would start working on it a couple of months ago.
What we are seeing now isn't anything like what came before it other than the stupid drop pass.

One huge difference is very noticeable.
Losing the draw no longer means losing the puck and the zone with more winger wins and retrievals than I can ever remember.

Mike Matheson is now the weak link handling the puck (which is a huge improvement over Gallagher Anderson and Pearson amongst others.)
Cole is more patient when given a bit of space and will continue to improve as he understands his importance in the grand scheme of things.
He is starting to grasp the fact that his job is to move the puck on until the kill shot opens up and it doesn't necessarily have to be him taking it.
Our PP1 was able to play the full two minutes more than once last night and extended shifts in recent games because of this.

Finally I've said this more than once our PP is better the more touches Nick Suzuki gets on it.
Particularly since they can't camp solely on him anymore.
Soon we will be saying this same thing about Slaf.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I did. Lindros effect added some, but I saw a power forward that could dominate. Problem was, the club wanted him to be a center. While I liked getting Recchi, I hated giving up Leclair to do it. He should have been on Koivu's wing.

Well, the trade was awful because it wasn't just leclair. Desjardins was a top dman for them as well for a long time.

But while the flyers saw a good asset in leclair, even they didn't see what leclair would become while playing with lindros. Desjardins was the peice that they coveted most at the time.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Well, the trade was awful because it wasn't just leclair. Desjardins was a top dman for them as well for a long time.

But while the flyers saw a good asset in leclair, even they didn't see what leclair would become while playing with lindros. Desjardins was the peice that they coveted most at the time.
Yeah, but in Recchi Habs didn't just get a player. They also got a doctor, so... Player Recchi for leclair, Dr Recchi for Desjardins. Dione was a bum anyway.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Talk about rushing a guy. Flyers picked Zubrus at 15 I think and straight to NHL because he was massive. This even though due to paperwork issues he had played in a low tier league his draft year. He should have played juniors. Development was awful.

LeClair wasn't utilized with the top guys here as I recall.

Tender was slow but could score, and he showed it with Minnesota especially. Martin just hated his game as Tender wouldn't park in front of the net, so he was traded away.

Zubrus did also spend time as a linemate with lindros and leclair as a teenager. There's just no one size fits all policy with the development of players. Every now and then, zubrus would show some flashy moves, but at the end if the day, he settled into a strong contributor more suited for middle of the lineup. It's kind of like when the Habs had a young Eller. Some flash every now and then, but ultimately not a top line guy

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
You dont have only a future hockey star in Slafkovsky. You have also a media star.

Dear Juraj, learn some French phrases and Montreal will be yours.
He's from central Europe, he'll learn as a 5th language in like two minutes. They are often wired different when it comes to learning new languages

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
I don't think I've seen someone with this blend of size and skill before in my decades of following the team.

Although kovalev was really strong, and he doesn't get credit for it, but he was more like 6'2ish.
I’ll always remember Kovalev for the Darcy Tucker shift. He could have been an enforcer if he wanted 😂

Also remember when he lost a glove, dangled a guy then picked his glove up and continued the play but that’s not really a strength thing is it…

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Still a shutout
I think the one off the post might have woke him up! The Ducks were utterly horrible. I’ve never seen a goalie get a star when facing 13 shots. That was a real homer move. I would’ve given it to Gignac if they were in such a generous mood.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
I'm starting to believe Marty has taken full ownership of PP1 going back to when he said they would start working on it a couple of months ago.
What we are seeing now isn't anything like what came before it other than the stupid drop pass.

One huge difference is very noticeable.
Losing the draw no longer means losing the puck and the zone with more winger wins and retrievals than I can ever remember.

Mike Matheson is now the weak link handling the puck (which is a huge improvement over Gallagher Anderson and Pearson amongst others.)
Cole is more patient when given a bit of space and will continue to improve as he understands his importance in the grand scheme of things.
He is starting to grasp the fact that his job is to move the puck on until the kill shot opens up and it doesn't necessarily have to be him taking it.
Our PP1 was able to play the full two minutes more than once last night and extended shifts in recent games because of this.

Finally I've said this more than once our PP is better the more touches Nick Suzuki gets on it.
I’ve noticed they make short passes and keep the puck down low as much as possible. Seems really difficult to contain. And Matheson is only there as a last resort and to fetch the puck when it comes out of the offensive zone :)

He didn't dangle a guy.. he dangled prime Chara
You’re gonna make me miss Kovalev even more now… Juraj doesn’t take as many shifts or entire games off though so I think I’ll be ok.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

Dumb always loses. Worse trade in the close to the seventy years that I have been following this team. All of us, who even had a modicum of knowledge of hockey, were appalled when we heard about it. And the youngsters here want to know why we haven't won a Cup in over thirty years. Dumb always loses.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Read that quote from Primeau this morning

"This building never ceases to amaze me and it was just as loud as if it was playoffs,” Primeau added.

When i watch games like that at the Bell Center i dream of playoffs games, we defenetly have the best atmosphere in the NHL

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
They’re moving him around more and there’s a concerted effort to get him the puck.
He’s like a reset button - “that look wasn’t there or that didn’t work …”. … Reset, back to Suzuki.

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
Here's a question,is Gallagher leadership missed? I forgot all about him and they look better without him.

• Haha
Reactions: bcv

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS

Correct that Eric was the primary piece. I'm just saying that among my circle of friends at the time I made it quite public that they would regret trading Leclair.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Happy for Gignac. It was a long road for him to get to the NHL.
In his interviews he comes across as such a nice kid. Super happy for him, it's been a long road. The good thing is he is young enough to carve out a decent career.

IIRC Hasek with Ottawa shut out Montreal with 12 shots,said it was the easiest game he's ever played.
I watched that game. Ouch

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad