Post-Game Talk: Slafstudsky and Slick Nick lead the way as Habs defeat the Ducks

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I record the French and English broadcasts and they are all annoying. I would prefer they stick to calling the game and chip in occasionally with the stats and what not. But they have a tendency to have conversions with one another like no one else is around,stfu and do the pay by play.

Yep and they have a tendency to push their agenda or taste whatever on us. Let us enjoy the game. That's why Bob Cole was the best. Just call the game with his great voice and that's it. No opinion pieces.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
February

1707940055781.png

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Richer was awesome for sure.
Richer and Malakhov were the most pure talent wise players that I have had the pleasure of watching in my long years following this team.

I first had an opportunity to watch Richer play was at the 1985 WJC in Finland. Canada had a strong team that included Wendel Clarke and Claude Lemieux. But as I watched Richer skate by and through the Russians with comparative ease I realized we had drafted a special talent.

That Richer ultimately had two, 50 goal seasons, was not a surprising.

That Richer’s dedication to his craft was not stellar became apparent when he elected to by-pass an opportunity to play for Team Canada to play in a softball tournament.

Nevertheless, Richer was one of Montreal’s most talented and exciting players of all time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Richer and Malakhov were the most pure talent wise players that I have had the pleasure of watching in my long years following this team.

I first had an opportunity to watch Richer play was at the 1985 WJC in Finland. Canada had a strong team that included Wendel Clarke and Claude Lemieux. But as I watched Richer skate by and through the Russians with comparative ease I realized we had drafted a special talent.

That Richer had ultimately two, 50 goal seasons was not a surprising.

That Richer’s dedication to his craft was not stellar became apparent when he elected to by-pass an opportunity to play for Team Canada to play in a softball tournament.

Nevertheless, Richer was one of Montreal’s most talented and exciting players of all time.
You could still see Richer's talent oozing from his ears when he came back here in 96-97 as a player having one foot in retirement. The guy could not skate anymore but you could still see that the high end skills was there. He was very good for NJ when they won the cup in 95.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Hi Habs fans question about Slafkovsky - what exactly has been the strategy for player development there? is he on the top line this year? is that where he was last year too? just trying to understand. nice to see him do well! cheers
Acclimation to a smaller ice surface and being placed with line mates of his skill level. I’ve heard that his work ethic is incredible as well. Extremely smart and driven kid.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

That Richer ultimately had two, 50 goal seasons, was not a surprising.

Part of what we call talent falls under resilience and motivation, and Richer, for all the power in his motor cortex and physical aptitudes, did not have the confidence and strength of character to go with them. This is part of what HuGo are now selecting for. It's why top athletes work with sports psychs more than ever. Richer should have been better mentored at the time, given the rest of his tools.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yes I remember him. Richer, Roy and Courtnall were my first memories of favourite players.

Your right, I missed including him. He was big , but I don't think he was in the 6'3 or larger range, was he?

He was strong nonetheless.
Same here. Naslund and Chelios too. 88-89 was my first year. Still grimace when I see that clip of Lanny raising the Cup

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yep and they have a tendency to push their agenda or taste whatever on us. Let us enjoy the game. That's why Bob Cole was the best. Just call the game with his great voice and that's it. No opinion pieces.
I didn’t even care when Cole was behind the play or messing up the last while. He was miles ahead of everyone else of the last 30 years or so. Pure excitement

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Part of what we call talent falls under resilience and motivation, and Richer, for all the power in his motor cortex and physical aptitudes, did not have the confidence and strength of character to go with them. This is part of what HuGo are now selecting for. It's why top athletes work with sports psychs more than ever. Richer should have been better mentored at the time, given the rest of his tools.
Can’t disagree with you.

Often when I speak to kids in my organization, I point to their forehead and their heart and explain that their dedication and desire to excel is more important that how fast they can skate or shoot a puck. You can tell almost immediately which kid will succeed at hockey and in life.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Can’t disagree with you.

Often when I speak to kids in my organization, I point to their forehead and their heart and explain that their dedication and desire to excel is more important that how fast they can skate or shoot a puck. You can tell almost immediately which kid will succeed at hockey and in life.
I've discussed a case in point in research. I met a surgeon at an NIH panel who knows Moderna co-founder Robert Langer, now multi-billionaire. A colleague of mine also knows him, and told me that despite an MIT PhD in Chem Eng, he had no luck originally getting a faculty position. He persevered, did a postdoctoral fellowship, and got a position as a prof through Human Movement Science (I believe). He eventually made a huge academic splash in tissue engineering, as well as co-owner of mRNA vaccine juggernaut Moderna. We academics fail all the time, especially with proposals. Brush yourself off and keep going .

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Richer also said his passion was baseball not hockey which he played for his fathers sake - like Malakhov, like Daigle etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad