Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NJD] Mackenzie Blackwood for 2023 6th round pick

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Imagine defining a 23 year old player who looked pretty solid for 60 games on a contender by what he does after being traded to perhaps the worst team in the league.

So you're saying he's only good if he has to be carried by a better team/players.

He ain't even worth a 7th.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Fine deal for both sides - Devils were looking to get anything they could for him, otherwise they would not have qualified him making him a UFA. Sharks have nothing to lose as they're tanking anyway, so why not roll the dice and see if Blackwood can reclaim his form. He's still just 26, was a 2nd round pick and had a great start to his NHL career - he's just dealt with a lot of injuries and has not been very good the past 3 seasons. Sign him to a 1 year deal and see what happens.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I am so happy to have this guy off the team. Couldn't hack it on the ice in any capacity. Had one now seemingly fluke run of games where he looked competentish. But in retrospect, he was 100% relying on his athleticism to make up for his garbage fundamentals. A few injuries later and that athleticism can't make up for his horrendous positioning. Peace.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

mlzy

Feb 7, 2009
I'm a devils fan that hasn't quite given up on Blackwood just yet! San Jose, i believe you got a good one and will turn things around! Not too often do you hit in the sixth round anyways!

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Ah the rare win/win. Devils get a 6th for a player they didn’t want, sharks lock themselves into a terrible goalie helping next years tank. Let us know if you need any depth at the deadline, happy to help you to the ecf so we get that first.

Reactions: TheUnseenHand

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Black woods a free agent and likely wasn't gonna be subject of bidding war and San Jose could signed him then. They just gave pick away for nothing. Blackwood could still decline to sign anyways.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Black woods a free agent and likely wasn't gonna be subject of bidding war and San Jose could signed him then. They just gave pick away for nothing. Blackwood could still decline to sign anyways.
He is a restricted free agent. They probably didn't need to give up the pick but at the end of the day it is a sixth round pick to ensure they have the rights to Blackwood. I would be absolutely stunned if blackwood refused to sign given how little leverage he has.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Why the Sharks got so many bad goalies though? What's the point?

Free Kaapo to play for a better team imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad