GDT: R1:G4 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes | April 27th | 2:00 PM | F/OTW 3-2

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I predict this is the last playoff game UBS arena sees for at least a decade

A little extreme, but with the Caps and Pens facing rebuilds soon, the Flyers being the Flyers, and the Blue Jackets sucking forever, the Isles could be the 7/8 seed again a year from now.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Getting swept in round 1 is pretty much worse then not making it.

Honestly would love to poll like thousands of Isles fans to know if they would've preferred missing the playoffs if they knew getting swept was going to be the result of making it.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
i was going to say something similar. not likely a decade but a pretty decent amount of time.
I don't see how this team gets back for at least a decade, what they have to do they aren't going to do and that is a complete rebuild, if they rebuild now maybe in 4 or 5 years you have some positives and a playoff worthy team, instead they are going to drag out this same core over the next few years who are only going to get worse and in 4 years they will be forced to rebuild, only by than you will have little trade assets as they will be mostly over the hill and no great prospects as the Islanders will always finish around the 10 seed, so when they are forced to rebuild in 2028 or so it will take much longer for things to get better

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
The Canes are very good at embellishment and every time they see a potential penalty coming, they make sure that the ref is going to call it. This will not work when they play the Rags next with strong goaltending and PK. They will get eliminated in the 2nd round of playoff again unless Anderson outplayed Shesterkin by a big margin.

Lee needs to be let go next year. His untimely penalty kills momentum each time. Barzal plays like he has an injury losing too many puck battles in this series. I would give him a pass as without him Isles do not even get to the post-season. Find a LW with strength/quickness combined to play on the top line next season.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Engvall’s greatest achievement trying to beat an icing.
The second attempt should not have whistled down for the icing call with less than 15 seconds to go in period 1.
Good/decent first, not good enough. 40 more minutes of torture!
I just missed the Isles onslaught to start the game, followed by Lee's penalty on Chatfield, and Jarvis' power play goal, after which the Isles seemed to have sagged. Hard to believe the Isles dominated the Canes in the faceoff circles but still got outshot.

But I am glad to be back to watch the Isles for Game 4, as I missed Games 2 and 3 due to my work schedule.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The Canes are very good at embellishment and every time they see a potential penalty coming, they make sure that the ref is going to call it. This will not work when they play the Rags next with strong goaltending and PK. They will get eliminated in the 2nd round of playoff again unless Anderson outplayed Shesterkin by a big margin.

Lee needs to be let go next year. His untimely penalty kills momentum each time. Barzal plays like he has an injury losing too many puck battles in this series. I would give him a pass as without him Isles do not even get to the post-season. Find a LW with strength/quickness combined to play on the top line next season.

We can't give a pass to the guys who are supposed to be the best players and then they don't show up. Once in a while, sure, no problem. He's not a rookie, he's not learning what the playoffs is all about, this is a common opponent and he's not getting it done.

This is his best game so far and it's not even close too.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
A little extreme, but with the Caps and Pens facing rebuilds soon, the Flyers being the Flyers, and the Blue Jackets sucking forever, the Isles could be the 7/8 seed again a year from now.
You are forgetting about the Sabres/Devils/Red Wings/Senators all younger teams with a much better prospect pool who are only going to get better

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You are forgetting about the Sabres/Devils/Red Wings/Senators all younger teams with a much better prospect pool who are only going to get better

Hey...I think I see things as you do, but a decade of missing playoffs is extreme is all I'm saying. Even if any team tore it all down and rebuilt, they should be back in the playoffs within 3-4 years.

I guess you're not at peace. :laugh:

Correct. Cannot accept that Lou is still GM.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
We've been hearing that for years, let me know when it actually happens.
Well yay, maybe by some miracle they might sneak into a 7/8 seed again next year only to see the same results as the previous years

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Hey...I think I see things as you do, but a decade of missing playoffs is extreme is all I'm saying. Even if any team tore it all down and rebuilt, they should be back in the playoffs within 3-4 years.
If a team tears it down they ain't making the playoffs in 3-4 years. Unless you're a team like the NYR who get "free" stars, but we're not that team.

Reactions: Green

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Honestly would love to poll like thousands of Isles fans to know if they would've preferred missing the playoffs if they knew getting swept was going to be the result of making it.
That’s an interesting question, but I think the more important question to me is what would a sweep do to the mindset of the owners and Lou, assuming he is still here?

Do they realize the limitations of this team regarding age, speed, and skill set? Have they come to grips that our squad is more than one player away?

Will they make proactive moves in the off-season to shed valuable but older players like Nelson and Palmeri? Might they even make a bolder move to trade an established core player? If there is another loss today, I can’t help but think that’s the route they will need to go. Trading players with undesirable contracts and attaching more futures should no longer be an option for this franchise.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad