Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Karlsson re-signs (8 years, $11.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
These guys hav no self-control. At that term and money, who were they competing with? Can't wait to hear owner's rhetoric heading into the lockout.

We don't know the dynamic of the negotiation. It could have been a scenario where Karlsson wanted to go back East and San Jose had to give him an offer he couldn't refuse.

I wonder if the big Karlsson to OTT/MTL story was leaked to put pressure on San Jose.

It's interesting because guys like Friedman and Kypreos seemed to indicate they were hearing teams weren't likely to be going 7 years or 11 million for Karlsson. If those reports were accurate, I'd guess San Jose felt that they had to give Karlsson a money offer that vastly exceeded what was out there in order to get him to stay.

At the end of the day, Karlsson's injuries and supposed diminished perceived value presented a great opportunity for San Jose. This time last year, I would have guessed that he would have cost San Jose 12-13 million.

Reactions: RussianShark

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I like seeing Hawks fans trash this contract having a contract like Toews on the books when at his prime he was worth a little over half of it just to follow that up with Seabrook.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Ohhh...

tenor.gif

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Oh please, stop moving the goal posts. Least you owned up to it.
moving goal posts?

no, i honestly did not peg SJ coughing up blood to the tune of $11.5 for EIGHT years to a hobbled Karlsson

had there been reports at SJ was entertaining offering that much, I would have been more aligned he would re-sign, especially since that blew away Ottawas original offer before they traded him

also, since SJ is not flush with cap space after a figure like that, it always seemed like they wouldnt go that far, for that very reason

its an atrocious contract if its a done deal and im sure more are surprised, including myself, that SJ is doing this. this is putting good money after bad

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If Karlsson's injuries get bad he will just go on LTIR and San Jose will be fine. That's what happens when you're a team who wants to win more than caring about the bottom line.

Reactions: 209

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Who needs elite defensemen right?

Karlsson should be a top 3 defenseman in the league for the next 4 ish years. The Rangers team and defense is an absolute disaster. Maybe adding elite players isn't a bad idea?

Maybe adding elite players with extensive injury histories that will be extremely expensive early on in a rebuild is a bad idea?

I don’t know, just food for thought.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Maybe adding elite players with extensive injury histories that will be extremely expensive early on in a rebuild is a bad idea?

I don’t know, just food for thought.

The Rangers are a disaster and will be a disaster for a forseeable future. The only way to turn that around is to add elite players. How else will the Rangers do that? In case you haven't noticed, the east is loaded for the forseeable future.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Oh true, well still a 2nd is better than no asset.
Yep ,we were going to lose any deal we made moving him...But we did get alot of depth ,Two 2nds, and if we count Norris two 1st,s add in a couple of solid roster RFA players in Demelo and Tierny ,and prospect Balcers...

Reactions: hamzarocks

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Karlsson would have easily been worth this extension last off-season. Now, coming off of surgery to repair a groin injury (and injury that many players never fully recover from), I'd be very worried if I was a Sharks fan.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Ouch. I thought Tierney did pretty decent for you guys. I can confirm that we tried to do the same with DeMelo after most games.

Demelo started the year hot, but he is nothing special. Tierney isn't awful and I don't curse the TV at him, but once again, dime a dozen nothing special. A bunch of big time "meh." I mean watching them is still better than Z. Smith and Ceci, but its not saying much.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The sens also get sharks 2021 1st if I'm not mistake due to Karlsson signing back.

The first was contingent on making the SCF. They get an extra second.

Finally, the Sharks sent a 2021 second-round pick to the Senators that carries two conditions. The pick itself is conditional upon San Jose re-signing Karlsson, whose current contract expires at the end of the season. If the Sharks both appear in the Stanley Cup Final this year and extend Karlsson, that pick becomes a first-rounder. In summary, at worst the Senators will receive a second-rounder in 2019 and the Sharks’ first-rounder in 2020

SO, in picks, they end up with Florida's second round in 2019, San Jose's first in 2020, and San Jose's second in 2021.

Reactions: hamzarocks

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I love the Sharks and I still think they'll be good for a few more years but man that's a lot of old guys with big contracts. I'm assuming Pavelski is looking at around $7 million x 5 years as well.

Well, that's the future's problem.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
This is exactly what I expected. Its a little more money than I thought though...

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Demelo started the year hot, but he is nothing special. Tierney isn't awful and I don't curse the TV at him, but once again, dime a dozen nothing special. A bunch of big time "meh." I mean watching them is still better than Z. Smith and Ceci, but its not saying much.

To me he is a very good 3C but if played higher than that he will be exposed defensively. He also has a good amount of puck skill but lacks the finish.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad