Sharks Training Camp 2015

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Are y'all really complaining about Mike "1st star in the playoffs" Brown?

Dude's the best, and most clutch, player in the org, I hope he plays all 82

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Donskoi - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau - Couture - Ward
Nieto - Hertl - Wingels
Brown/Goodrow - Tierney - Smith

Vlasic - Braun
Martin - Burns
Dillon - Demelo/Tennyson

Jones
Stalock

Donskoi-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Ward
Nieto-Hertl-Wingels
Smith-Tierney-Brown/Goodrow

Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
Dillon-DeMelo

Jones

thx guys

appreciate it :)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Weren't the coaches just talking about using advanced stats as a major part of their decisions? How do they justify having Mike Brown on this team?

Because they aren't a be all/end all. Just a tool they use. Brown does bring energy and that rubs off on other players. If Goodrow played that high energy hard charging game nightly that'd be good too.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I'm glad Mueller and Goldobin got sent down, let them be the big dogs for the Barracuda

If they force the issue, the Sharks locker room is just down the hall

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Weren't the coaches just talking about using advanced stats as a major part of their decisions? How do they justify having Mike Brown on this team?

Energy/60.

In all seriousness, no team depends 100% on advanced stats (and no team should). Narratives like grit and energy still infect the smartest of front offices.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
He brings energy. Ok so what else does he do? Absolutely nothing.

His energy and hitting means absolutely nothing if the puck still always ends up coming back to the sharks end of the ice while he is on the ice.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He brings energy. Ok so what else does he do? Absolutely nothing.

His energy and hitting means absolutely nothing if the puck still always ends up coming back to the sharks end of the ice while he is on the ice.

It probably won't since Tierney and Smith are good players. Goodrow is not good either but lets pretend he'll make a difference.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Energy/60.

In all seriousness, no team depends 100% on advanced stats (and no team should). Narratives like grit and energy still infect the smartest of front offices.

The is the unchecked assumption that people like you and sr888 constantly make...not the the assumption that grit and energy are worthless, but the idea that Brown is only being kept/retained for those two reasons. It is never proven...it just goes on being assumed until it is accepted as fact.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
The is the unchecked assumption that people like you and sr888 constantly make...not the the assumption that grit and energy are worthless, but the idea that Brown is only being kept/retained for those two reasons. It is never proven...it just goes on being assumed until it is accepted as fact.

I'm sorry but you can clearly see that it's all he brings. He skates hard. Tries to get in on the forecheck but the play dies on his stick. The eye test can prove that.

Here is the bigger issue: tierney could be a 3c in a 4c role. When you saddle him with call ups like McCarthy, brown, lerg etc you are wasting him as well.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm sorry but you can clearly see that it's all he brings. He skates hard. Tries to get in on the forecheck but the play dies on his stick. The eye test can prove that.

Here is the bigger issue: tierney could be a 3c in a 4c role. When you saddle him with call ups like McCarthy, brown, lerg etc you are wasting him as well.

I think that a more likely reason Brown is retained is because of his playoff performance (GMs remember things like that), his relative experience, and his attitude.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I think that a more likely reason Brown is retained is because of his playoff performance (GMs remember things like that), his relative experience, and his attitude.

So what? Id like to hear what you think the benefit is.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I doubt the two games he did something for the team are even remotely close to the reason. He's here because he'll bring energy, he'll fight, and he has a nifty stache. If they kept him for those two games where he did something in the playoffs (and then subsequently did nothing beyond those first two games of that series which is something you've blasted the stars for) then they made a mistake getting rid of James Sheppard.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I like Deboer so far. He moved Hertl to center almost immediately. Mueller's given a chance to get some seasoning in the AHL instead of being rushed like last year although I don't know if that's on T-Mac or DW. He lets a guy who earned a spot get the spot(Donskoi). He'll probably play Brown but the Torres suspension kinda forces his hand. I'm sure he'd prefer Torres instead.

vilpertti

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
You can add Smith & Tierney into the PK rotation as well. It's been a long time since this team had good PK options past 12, 8 & 39.
And 27 too, he's responsible and even adds a threat on the PK. Let him on a breakaway and there's a good chance it's a goal.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If they kept him for those two games where he did something in the playoffs (and then subsequently did nothing beyond those first two games of that series which is something you've blasted the stars for) then they made a mistake getting rid of James Sheppard.

Yes, I hold players like Thornton and Marleau to higher standards. Brown having two superb playoff games is a big win for him.

Moreover, and this is all speculation, when DW said he wants to rewards playoff performance...well, he has to put his money where his mouth is and extend Brown. Perhaps Brown was one of the few players not panicking and falling to pieces during the crash against LA...maybe DW wanted to reward that.

I think that the Sharks tried to reward Sheppard with more ice time and more responsibility, and he grandly squandered it. Moreover, Sheppard had a long history of playing below expectations.

I suspect that if Brown flounders like Sheppard did, he will not be retained next season.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I like Deboer so far. He moved Hertl to center almost immediately. Mueller's given a chance to get some seasoning in the AHL instead of being rushed like last year although I don't know if that's on T-Mac or DW. He lets a guy who earned a spot get the spot(Donskoi). He'll probably play Brown but the Torres suspension kinda forces his hand. I'm sure he'd prefer Torres instead.

Ya know I've always wondered how long it takes you to craft every post to live up to your username.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Yes, I hold players like Thornton and Marleau to higher standards. Brown having two superb playoff games is a big win for him.

Moreover, and this is all speculation, when DW said he wants to rewards playoff performance...well, he has to put his money where his mouth is and extend Brown. Perhaps Brown was one of the few players not panicking and falling to pieces during the crash against LA...maybe DW wanted to reward that.

I think that the Sharks tried to reward Sheppard with more ice time and more responsibility, and he grandly squandered it. Moreover, Sheppard had a long history of playing below expectations.

I suspect that if Brown flounders like Sheppard did, he will not be retained next season.

I guess my issue is that even with the goal brown got in game 2 of that kings series, him and his line were terrible at possesion and allowed the kings great opportunities... At the time it was no big deal as the Sharks won the first 3 games, but it eventually caught up to them. Hell, looking at the game stats of game 2 where he got a goal, his line allowed 14 shots against while they managed 5. Obviously you can't come to definitive conclusions from stats, as they can paint almost any picture you want, but even by eye, those lines were severely out played.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It's not a higher standard that is the issue. It's that you have no standard for guys like Brown. He was a consistent loser in his time on the ice past the first two games. So much so that he was benched for it for a game but that should be rewarded yet Sheppard's wasn't at the same level when it was obvious who was the better player in that series (although neither were good at all). And Brown's performance before and since then or lack thereof has pretty much shown that he squandered it. Brown has a longer history of being what he is which is a player who doesn't belong in an NHL lineup. More DW errors with depth players which is par for the course.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I guess my issue is that even with the goal brown got in game 2 of that kings series, him and his line were terrible at possesion and allowed the kings great opportunities... At the time it was no big deal as the Sharks won the first 3 games, but it eventually caught up to them. Hell, looking at the game stats of game 2 where he got a goal, his line allowed 14 shots against while they managed 5. Obviously you can't come to definitive conclusions from stats, as they can paint almost any picture you want, but even by eye, those lines were severely out played.

Considering how many times DeBoer has said that he wants to spend more time in the offensive zone, not to mention how he wants a more skilled 4th line, this is a biggie.

Brown is one of the worst possession players in the league and has a history of dragging down his line mates. If DeBoer is serious about both of those things Brown should see very, very, very little ice time.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com

He's a very good skater. Speed and agility with pretty good defensive positioning. This is very underrated. It causes the other teams to have less time to make plays and forces them into mistakes.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
In practice today Tierney and Smith switched off at center on the 4th line. I won't be super pleased if either one of them is scratched.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: