Sharks Training Camp 2015

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Only because I happen to have the numbers right in front of me, here's some players and the number of AHL games they played...

Justin Braun - 43
Logan Couture - 46
Melker Karlsson - 20
Torrey Mitchell - 18
Matthew Nieto - 13
Joe Pavelski - 16
Devin Setoguchi - 23
Tommy Wingels - 98
Jamie McGinn - 116

I've included Wingels and McGinn on the list because they have a significant amount of "salary cap" games in the AHL.

So for a lot of guys that make impacts on SJ's roster, even brief ones, they do seem to spend a lot mess than a full season in the AHL.

Is this a cause of terrible AHL development or terrible prospect pool that allowed good prospects to rise fast.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Is this a cause of terrible AHL development or terrible prospect pool that allowed good prospects to rise fast.

Probably more of the latter. The cream of the crop usually rises to the top. Although a bunch of the players on that list should probably have played longer. Braun wasn't particularly great when he got here and Nieto definitely wasn't NHL ready but our depth was poor.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Goldobin will likely see a longer development curve. He's a type of player we have never had in our pool. But that also means he dudnt come pre packaged with typical nhl system aspects to his game. Something he needs to improve.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Is saying "a bit of both" a cop out answer?

Nope 'cus that would be my answer as well.

I have to admit though I've been pretty impressed with much of what Sommer has said so far with the SJB.

I haven't been to any practices & talk is pretty meaningless but I'm really, really hoping that with all of SJ hockey ops eyes on him pretty much all the time that things will improve on the ice.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Only because I happen to have the numbers right in front of me, here's some players and the number of AHL games they played...

Justin Braun - 43
Logan Couture - 46
Melker Karlsson - 20
Torrey Mitchell - 18
Matthew Nieto - 13
Joe Pavelski - 16
Devin Setoguchi - 23
Tommy Wingels - 98
Jamie McGinn - 116

I've included Wingels and McGinn on the list because they have a significant amount of "salary cap" games in the AHL.

So for a lot of guys that make impacts on SJ's roster, even brief ones, they do seem to spend a lot mess than a full season in the AHL.

I forgot how much Pavelski dominated in the AHL.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Anyone think we can trade Smith, waivers.... he's a healthy scratch after 2 games... Milker on the way.

I'd love him for playoff depth, not sure what to do with him until April.

He will be back into the line up for game 3. Brown was just int the lineup because kings, ducks.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
maybe not. when MK is back we r going to need a spot for him to play. smith is to to good not to be playing in the nhl... and eating the press box food.

I agree, but I have to say that both Brown and Goodrow have been good so far. I'm just waiting for one to have a bd game, then Smith should get his chance. Personally, I think the former two should be sitting for Smith and Karlsson respectively. A Smith-Tierney-Karlsson 4th line would dominate.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I agree, but I have to say that both Brown and Goodrow have been good so far. I'm just waiting for one to have a bd game, then Smith should get his chance. Personally, I think the former two should be sitting for Smith and Karlsson respectively. A Smith-Tierney-Karlsson 4th line would dominate.

I agree. We will have to see how this plays out, lets hope for no injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad