Sharks Training Camp 2015

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Rookies report 9/10

Rookie scrimmages (vs Duck rookies) 9/12 (@ SAP Center, part of Shark Fan Fest) and 9/13 (@ Sharks Ice)

Vets report 9/17 (first preseason game 9/21)
9/18 9:30am first training camp practice

Rookie PTOs include:

G Liam Herbst
http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/09/03/67s-eager-to-start-pre-season

D Cavan Fitzgerald

D Stephen Harper

LW Joey Ratelle

Stay tuned for full roster and schedule.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Hearing they are bringing in extra bleachers for 9/13 rookie scrimmage to Sharks Ice North Rink. It'll be staying around through 10/1 preseason Barracuda game.

MechaMarleau

Vertebraeker
Apr 13, 2007
Menlo Park
Very interested to see how the bottom six forms over the course of camp. Goldobin and Dontskoi can both make the game one roster, but they don't make sense on a fourth line centered by Smith. If he's anything like he was down the stretch last year, Chris Tierney is the #3C of a genuinely talented third line that you can attach a bunch of different people to- Nieto, Wingels, Ward, Hertl, and either Goldobin or Dontskoi would make sense there.

It's the question of grit versus skill. For the first time in a while I feel there is enough skill here for three full lines, with maybe a couple players in the Barracuda that are ready replacements. But the management has always wanted to lug around one-dimensional physical players. It's an interesting conflict- us sociology majors call it a dlalectic.

This is what I guess the lineup might look like if nobody makes it out of camp:

Ward-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Hertl
Nieto/Karlsson?-Tierney-Wingels
Torres/TBD-Smith-Brown

Torres is a question mark obviously, but I'm not sure who you'd put in there given the character of the line.

What'd be nice is Goldobin cracking the roster- Elite Prospects says he's a LW/RW (EP also says the same about Dontskoi, also not sure that's actually true). You'd probably put him #3RW, bump Wingels down to the fourth line, and Brown sits as a #13. Wingels can be an injury or mid-game swap to any of the other lines, and you can also stick him on the second PP unit to make sure he gets a decent chunk of ice time.

Also not terribly sure what the cap looks like.

The fantasy is of course a healthy Torres with Wingels for a full season. That'd be a terrifying fourth line.

EDIT: Yes, I did forget Karlsson. The Hockey Writers at least think his spot will be taken by Ward, so is he the 4LW or what in that case? Does he play on the 3rd over Nieto? I can't really put my head around the current lineup. But unlike some previous years, that's in a good way. I think there's a lot of forward talent and potential, where it used to be because of our lack of high draft picks we were scraping the barrel.

Last edited:

MardocAgain

Apr 10, 2012
Is there any possibility Meier cracks the squad. I know it sounds like a long shot, but the more I think about it the more I realize it's not completely outrageous? Or am I just crazy?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Is there any possibility Meier cracks the squad. I know it sounds like a long shot, but the more I think about it the more I realize it's not completely outrageous? Or am I just crazy?

I think he and Donskoi are the most likely, but I wouldn't put it above 50% chance. Be funny/interesting if either made it and Mueller started in the AHL. I would put the likelihood of Meier, Donskoi and Goldobin eventually getting some games in the NHL at some point this year at very high.

Last edited:

MardocAgain

Apr 10, 2012
I think he and Donskoi are the most likely, but I wouldn't put it above 50% chance. Be funny/interesting if either made it and Mueller started in the NHL. I would put the likelihood of Meier, Donskoi and Goldobin eventually getting some games in the NHL at some point this year at very high.

Ya, I just wondered if the Meier pick was influenced by him being more NHL ready than other players on the board, based in his age, size, and skill.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Ya, I just wondered if the Meier pick was influenced by him being more NHL ready than other players on the board, based in his age, size, and skill.

I doubt it, but maybe. I don't think it would be because he'd be NHL worthy this year, but maybe sooner than others, which I still doubt. And I meant Mueller in the AHL not NHL.

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
It will be nice to be able to read what people see on the ice during training camp as opposed to "is Jumbo HOF worthy?" "Why Marleau needs to be traded." "Is Deboer a piece of **** coach?" "Fire DW!" ETC ETC ETC

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Donskoi says he'll be wearing #27. Lerg #11. McCarthy doesn't know what # he'll be wearing (yet).

Goldobin said he'd be wearing #7, but I thought that was Martin's #?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00