Sharks Training Camp 2015

corbanSOG

Registered Loser
Apr 27, 2003
In practice today Tierney and Smith switched off at center on the 4th line. I won't be super pleased if either one of them is scratched.

Ugh. If you're not going to give Tierney a regular role, he should be playing first-line minutes in the AHL. Don't waste his skill on the bench or playing 5 minutes a night with a bunch of 4th line grinders.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
In practice today Tierney and Smith switched off at center on the 4th line. I won't be super pleased if either one of them is scratched.

The coaching staff seems to view Smith strictly as a C which is kind of odd since he's spent a lot of time playing wing and I think he's better there.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Smith is scratched and they go with Brown-Tierney-Goodrow.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I think the Sharks did whatever they needed to do with the NHL to make Torres a non-roster player leaving them with 22 active players on the roster (as of now).

It's gonna be interesting to see how much player movement there is between the NHL & AHL with how close the team is to the cap.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I guess my issue is that even with the goal brown got in game 2 of that kings series, him and his line were terrible at possesion and allowed the kings great opportunities... At the time it was no big deal as the Sharks won the first 3 games, but it eventually caught up to them. Hell, looking at the game stats of game 2 where he got a goal, his line allowed 14 shots against while they managed 5. Obviously you can't come to definitive conclusions from stats, as they can paint almost any picture you want, but even by eye, those lines were severely out played.

1) At the end of the day, its goal, and not shots, that matter

2) Pretty sure your numbers aren't accurate. Perhaps you are mistaking shots against for shot-attempts against?

Ultimately, in the first three games, the Sharks had a strategy of driving the net, pushing the pace, and attacking (not literally) Quick. Brown was foremost at doing that. Sometimes, you have to reward that.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

2) Pretty sure your numbers aren't accurate. Perhaps you are mistaking shots against for shot-attempts against?

Ultimately, in the first three games, the Sharks had a strategy of driving the net, pushing the pace, and attacking (not literally) Quick. Brown was foremost at doing that. Sometimes, you have to reward that.

Prioritizing eight minutes a game for two games over a career's worth of work is absolutely moronic.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Panik got waived today. What about a 4th line of Panik-Tierney-Smith? Way better than Brown there or even Goodrow.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Say that to a lot of NHL GMs. It is also a lot of about sending a message to the team and setting an example to the team.

Sending a message and setting an example is a lot of hot air. There is nothing to be accomplished doing what you're saying when it comes to the other guys because as you like to point out, their expectations are higher and/or different. If you're signing the guy for that, you're doing it for the wrong reasons right off the bat. You shouldn't sign anyone for any reason beyond he can provide something for your team that you need. I don't expect perfection from player acquisitions but I expect mistakes to be corrected and learned from. That isn't happening here.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011

Numbers are accurate per war on ice and were just used to point out getting a goal does not paint the best picture on how he and his line actually fared against a Kings team that is not known to be a high volume shot taking team. I could have clarified shot attempts vs shots on goal, yes.

For reference: Just change data to display fenwick or corsi
http://war-on-ice.com/playerseason....&yaxis=&caxis=&saxis=&xaxisg=&yaxisg=&panel=4

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So now with Torres gone for half the season does that make room for Goldobin or Karlsson to be called up? I really hope we see Goldobin, so we can see what he can do. I realize there wasn't much room for him at least not for him to be effective in like a top 6 role but I was just really hoping we could finally get to see what he's capable of.

One thing I don't agree with though is Tennyson getting a spot over Mueller. Mueller seems more NHL ready to me.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So now with Torres gone for half the season does that make room for Goldobin or Karlsson to be called up? I really hope we see Goldobin, so we can see what he can do. I realize there wasn't much room for him at least not for him to be effective in like a top 6 role but I was just really hoping we could finally get to see what he's capable of.

One thing I don't agree with though is Tennyson getting a spot over Mueller. Mueller seems more NHL ready to me.

Mueller's got some issues right now. He's way too timid and just defers every effort to his defense partner. It's not good.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Mueller needs to play big minutes in the AHL. His issues are overanalyzed but a season down there will help his confidence. Especially handling the puck and like hoho said, not deferring so often.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

I think they should stay down for now. We still have good depth on the NHL club. They can play top minutes on the ahl club, and either dominate it to the point where they force their way onto the team, or give us very nice call up options when injuries inevitably happen.

Tennyson is on the NHL club for the same reason. He's really not likely to grow much more in the ahl, it's time for him to take the next step in the NHL, or whither away into an career ahl'er. Mueller still needs to grow, and absolutely could benefit from being the man on the ahl team. Plus like goldobin and karlsson, he's very likely the first call up in case of injuries. Plus he's still waiver ineligible if I'm not mistaken, unlike Tennyson. So it's easier to move him up and down when needed.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

Karlsson will be brought up once he's up to game speed, likely at the expense of Goodrow.

As for Mueller, it's DeMelo that won the job over him. With Tennyson needing to clear waivers to go to the AHL, I think it was pretty much a given he was going to be on the NHL roster to open the season.

Also regarding Mueller, the coaching staff plays it off as not important but I think his handedness plays at least a part in him starting in the AHL. He also needs to gain some confidence with the puck as defensively he's likely NHL ready but once he gets the puck on his stick he's kind of a mess.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Mueller absolutely needs to stay in the A. I'm glad he's starting there, I just hope he stays there. He was obviously overwhelmed last season making the jump from juniors to the pros. He has the brains and the skill, he just needs the confidence. No better place to do that playing 20+ against easier competition in the AHL.

Mueller, at his very worst in my opinion, projects to be a pretty good bottom pairing defenseman. But to move beyond that, the only thing he really needs is some confidence in his ability to control and dictate the pace of a game, which he has potential to do.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Absolutely. Let Goldobin dominate in the AHL for a while. It's a formula that's worked well for San Jose recently with prospects, no reason to change course now.

I thought someone brought up a point that most of the Sharks draft picks don't normally play full seasons in the AHL. The ones that become key members of the team.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I thought someone brought up a point that most of the Sharks draft picks don't normally play full seasons in the AHL. The ones that become key members of the team.

Only because I happen to have the numbers right in front of me, here's some players and the number of AHL games they played...

Justin Braun - 43
Logan Couture - 46
Melker Karlsson - 20
Torrey Mitchell - 18
Matthew Nieto - 13
Joe Pavelski - 16
Devin Setoguchi - 23
Tommy Wingels - 98
Jamie McGinn - 116

I've included Wingels and McGinn on the list because they have a significant amount of "salary cap" games in the AHL.

So for a lot of guys that make impacts on SJ's roster, even brief ones, they do seem to spend a lot mess than a full season in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: