Sharks roster discussion

What should the Sharks do at the trade deadline this season?

• Nothing. They're fine as they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade whatever is necessary to add a blue-chip talent for a deep playoff run.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Make minor trades for depth, but don't give up a 1st or any top prospects.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Sell sell sell! This team is going nowhere and it's time to rebuild.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
So I really believe that Donskoi deserves to be in the top 6, but in order to have a 3rd scoring line how about this. Trade O'regan and a 1st for Kane. Seems realistic, maybe add a little bit to get it done. That leaves us with...

Kane-Thornton-Pavs
Hertl-Couture-Labanc
Donskoi-Tierney-Meier
Hansen/Boedker/Sorenson-Goodrow/Carpenter-Ward/Karlsson

That looks pretty freaking good to me. Maybe not an elite front runner, but certainly a team that could make some noise come playoff time, and is in the realm of possibility. Should look to trade some of our 4th line depth as well.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Cant believe Ottawa has Bobby Ryan at 7,250,000 until 21/22 hah... Anyways Hoffman at 5M for the next 2 1/2 years is a really friendly deal. That would be amazing if the Sharks could land him. That would be very expensive though

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
So I really believe that Donskoi deserves to be in the top 6, but in order to have a 3rd scoring line how about this. Trade O'regan and a 1st for Kane. Seems realistic, maybe add a little bit to get it done. That leaves us with...

Kane-Thornton-Pavs
Hertl-Couture-Labanc
Donskoi-Tierney-Meier
Hansen/Boedker/Sorenson-Goodrow/Carpenter-Ward/Karlsson

That looks pretty freaking good to me. Maybe not an elite front runner, but certainly a team that could make some noise come playoff time, and is in the realm of possibility. Should look to trade some of our 4th line depth as well.
Think they'll bite? Seems like that would be a bit low from our end considering he's their leading scorer. But if DW managed to work his magic and do that, I'd be ecstatic haha.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Think they'll bite? Seems like that would be a bit low from our end considering he's their leading scorer. But if DW managed to work his magic and do that, I'd be ecstatic haha.

He's a rental. That's the going rate for rental players. 1st+B prospect. Could replace O'Regan with Jeremy Roy. Maybe if the bidding war gets too high add a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don't. We actually have and hold the puck a lot.

Yeah, Duchene is struggling right now, but he has never played for a good possession team. He was having somewhat of a renaissance year on a weak Colorado squad before he was traded, but the Senators are complete trash. I think that Duchene would be great here. Now, would he be worth the price the Senators paid? Maybe not. Does he have some attitude problems? Maybe. Would he solve all of our problems and turn us into one of the best teams in the league? Maybe, maybe not. But I have no doubt that Duchene would be looking great after 14 games if we had acquired him.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Yeah, Duchene is struggling right now, but he has never played for a good possession team. He was having somewhat of a renaissance year on a weak Colorado squad before he was traded, but the Senators are complete trash. I think that Duchene would be great here. Now, would he be worth the price the Senators paid? Maybe not. Does he have some attitude problems? Maybe. Would he solve all of our problems and turn us into one of the best teams in the league? Maybe, maybe not. But I have no doubt that Duchene would be looking great after 14 games if we had acquired him.

We could make a go at him during Free Agency, with the cap possibly going up by 3M, us shedding contracts, and with the terribad season he is having he might have to come cheaper. Not my first choice and no one ever signs here except overpaid losers... like Burish, Boedker, and Hamburgers Wallin. Still, it's a thought.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
We could make a go at him during Free Agency, with the cap possibly going up by 3M, us shedding contracts, and with the terribad season he is having he might have to come cheaper. Not my first choice and no one ever signs here except overpaid losers... like Burish, Boedker, and Hamburgers Wallin. Still, it's a thought.

Doesn't he have one more year after this year? I would rather go after Tavares.

Boedker was actually heavily coveted and was being offered more term and money by other teams before we got him. Joel Ward probably was too and I'm sure Paul Martin had some competing offers as well. DW hasn't really extended his hand into superstars in UFA in his time here but the last few years have proven pretty solid evidence that we can sign high level UFAs if DW makes a go at them.

Honestly, what high profile UFA over the last 5-10 years do you wish we could have signed at the same exact rate and term that they signed for? DW has been pretty smart about high profile UFAs over the past few years, and this is coming from somebody who has generally been critical of him.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Doesn't he have one more year after this year? I would rather go after Tavares.

Boedker was actually heavily coveted and was being offered more term and money by other teams before we got him. Joel Ward probably was too and I'm sure Paul Martin had some competing offers as well. DW hasn't really extended his hand into superstars in UFA in his time here but the last few years have proven pretty solid evidence that we can sign high level UFAs if DW makes a go at them.

Honestly, what high profile UFA over the last 5-10 years do you wish we could have signed at the same exact rate and term that they signed for? DW has been pretty smart about high profile UFAs over the past few years, and this is coming from somebody who has generally been critical of him.
Oh right. Woops!

That's fair enough. Paulie and Ward have been good signings. I just remember the flops more due to recency bias. And if JT does go to FA, I hope they go all in on that.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If Hoffman is available we absolutely should go after him. But I don’t think he should/would play on the Joes line. I think he would mesh well with Tierney, and I think Tierney has earned better linemates with his play.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If Hoffman is available we absolutely should go after him. But I don’t think he should/would play on the Joes line. I think he would mesh well with Tierney, and I think Tierney has earned better linemates with his play.

With what Ottawa would want for Hoffman, I might be more interested in E Kane as a rental. Sens fans said they would want Meier++ for Hoffman and I don't know about that.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
With what Ottawa would want for Hoffman, I might be more interested in E Kane as a rental. Sens fans said they would want Meier++ for Hoffman and I don't know about that.

I'd go Meier + Norris for Hoffman. Don't know if Ottawa would take it, but two recent 1sts (one very recent) is a fair offer IMO. Then sign Tavares this summer and the window opens again, haha.

nerdybeard

Oct 1, 2011
Oakland, CA
To sidestep the Ottawa/Buffalo trade rumors for a moment, this is a pretty awesome post on /r/hockey regarding Selke metrics and history over the last 10 years.

You’ll notice that Thornton and Tierney fit 5/6 of the highest correlated stats of a selke finalist, and Couture 4/6. This is not a post to declare any one of them will even be nominated, but really cool to see our top 3C’s are really playing top notch defensive hockey while still putting up decent points.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
He looked like he was playing hard for the most part, but our 4th line has just been revolving parts. But he's been outplayed by other players on that line, so it's time for him to catch up in the AHL.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’ve been disappointed in Carpenter relative to how good he was last year, but he’s still been a fine 4C. Tierney has earned the 3C role, Goodrow is not a C, and O’Regan should not be playing on the fourth line. Not sure what the point of this move is.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I feel that Carpenter is a play maker who needs scoring wingers to drive play and create space for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad