Sharks roster discussion

What should the Sharks do at the trade deadline this season?

• Nothing. They're fine as they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade whatever is necessary to add a blue-chip talent for a deep playoff run.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Make minor trades for depth, but don't give up a 1st or any top prospects.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Sell sell sell! This team is going nowhere and it's time to rebuild.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It's probably a more important trend for forwards than it is for defensemen. O'regan's teammate, Ahti Oksanen had like 100 more shots but he's over in Sweden doing something but Charlie McAvoy had pretty average numbers but is killing it in the NHL right now.

Oksanen was listed as a defenseman but he played forward, just FYI.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Do not understand the hate for Deboer at all. You guys don't remember watching Todd Mclellan just RIDE the wave every season and playoffs for starting line up? Without him and Joner we wouldn't have made SC finals. And with Deboer we will always have a shot at the Cup. Hes just that type of dude.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Lebrun just had a short bit on Dell on insider trading. Basically asking the question if he is this years scott darling and will the sharks use him as a trade chip

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Lebrun just had a short bit on Dell on insider trading. Basically asking the question if he is this years scott darling and will the sharks use him as a trade chip
Gotta think dell is more akin to talbot than darling. Older, late bloomer back up who has been the best back up 2 years in a row with stellar AHL numbers.

Darling had one great year, one solid year, one great year. Dell has had back to back excellent years, same as talbot. I'm asking for two seconds or a late first if I'm DW or we keep him.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Gotta think dell is more akin to talbot than darling. Older, late bloomer back up who has been the best back up 2 years in a row with stellar AHL numbers.

Darling had one great year, one solid year, one great year. Dell has had back to back excellent years, same as talbot. I'm asking for two seconds or a late first if I'm DW or we keep him.
You’re absolutely dreaming if you think Dell could return that. He’s a UFA at the end of the year.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
You’re absolutely dreaming if you think Dell could return that. He’s a UFA at the end of the year.
Wasn't talbot as well? Not saying he will return that, but no reason to trade him otherwise and go back to the stalock type situation when Dell says he likes SJ and has respect, IE he would stay here.

Classic case of more valuable to us than in a trade.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Wasn't talbot as well? Not saying he will return that, but no reason to trade him otherwise and go back to the stalock type situation when Dell says he likes SJ and has respect, IE he would stay here.

Classic case of more valuable to us than in a trade.

No, Talbot wasn’t a UFA.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
No, Talbot wasn’t a UFA.
Hmm. Guess my memory is wrong. Thought he was.

Reimer was.

Not saying Dell would get anywhere near a first or two seconds, but I'd rather keep him around than get a third for him. If someone wants him, I wouldn't accept anything other than an overpayment.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Man, those CBJ offers for Pavs are brutal. "Hey, I want your good players, but you can't have any of mine. You can have a late first and decent prospect."

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
San Jose Sharks' Doug Wilson likely not in rental market

DW won't trade young core players for quick fix/playoff run hole-pluggers

Some vets are available. Martin and Hansen for sure, Maybe Wardo! We need to get Martin back from his conditioning stint, they some solid showcase NHL games leading up to the deadline. Hansen and Wardo have been playing decent, not much to show for it however. Even if we just get picks over a player that can help us now i'd be ok with the lower cap. Bodediker is also available i'm sure if anyone wants him.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Typical GM talk. What's he going to say, ya I'm looking to trade some young guys for a rental? And who knows what the "young core" guys are. I doubt Norris or Roy fit into that. I'd hands down do Norris and a 1st for Kane. I don't see a ton of upside in Norris, and I doubt we would draft someone with considerable upside with that 1st. Add Kane to this team and were a contender.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hmm. Guess my memory is wrong. Thought he was.

Reimer was.

Not saying Dell would get anywhere near a first or two seconds, but I'd rather keep him around than get a third for him. If someone wants him, I wouldn't accept anything other than an overpayment.

Yeah but Reimer's trade value even then was difficult to gauge given the nature of the transactions between the Sharks and Leafs that year. However, I'd trade Dell for a 2nd in a heartbeat right now if it was available. It would be foolish for the Sharks to keep him if someone offered that and I don't think it's a smart bet to believe that he'll re-sign. He may have 'respect' whatever that means in this context but if he gets an opportunity to start elsewhere, he has to take it for his own sake.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Is it too early to say "I told you so" ? Argued that Schlemko is overrated (yet a solid player..) and him leaving meant Ryan/Heed would get a chance which isn't the worst thing in the world. When the board was flipping out :)

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Is it too early to say "I told you so" ? Argued that Schlemko is overrated (yet a solid player..) and him leaving meant Ryan/Heed would get a chance which isn't the worst thing in the world. When the board was flipping out :)

It depends on whether or not you think Schlemko could effectively do what Justin Braun does night in and night out. Braun isn't having the best season of his career right now (and neither is Vlasic) but he plays on the right side while stapled to top competition. Some posters like Jux think that the difference between Schlemko and Braun is small enough to the point where the return from a potential Braun trade would be more than valuable enough to make up for it. Personally, I'm not sure of what Braun would bring us back on the open market but I would rather stick with the more proven top-4 shutdown defenseman in Braun than take the risk that Schlemko can do this.

Schlemko definitely isn't overrated though.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Schlemko's kinda overrated. He was very good in his role, but the Sharks' defensive deployments are very extreme so I don't think he or any of our defensemen are posting the kind of possession numbers they did or are currently doing without the help they get by being sheltered by the Vlasic-Braun pairing doing what they're doing.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Schlemko was overrated by some and wildly underrated by most. But either way I’m sick of arguing about him. He wasn’t a top-pairing defenseman and he wasn’t a bottom-pairing defenseman. He was a solid middle pairing defenseman who could move the puck and was good defensively. He put up very good possession numbers in soft minutes, but the effect of top competition on possession numbers is often overstated. Braun is not the possession driver, for good or for bad on his pairing with Vlasic. I really don’t think Schlemko would do any worse with Vlasic. And insisting that we couldn’t have iced all three of Schlemko, Ryan, and Heed for any reason other than the coaching staff hated Schlemko and apparently hates Ryan for zero good reason is silly. But it’s a moot point because we don’t have Schlemko anymore. Let’s all move on.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Schlemko was overrated by some and wildly underrated by most. But either way I’m sick of arguing about him. He wasn’t a top-pairing defenseman and he wasn’t a bottom-pairing defenseman. He was a solid middle pairing defenseman who could move the puck and was good defensively. He put up very good possession numbers in soft minutes, but the effect of top competition on possession numbers is often overstated. Braun is not the possession driver, for good or for bad on his pairing with Vlasic. I really don’t think Schlemko would do any worse with Vlasic. And insisting that we couldn’t have iced all three of Schlemko, Ryan, and Heed for any reason other than the coaching staff hated Schlemko and apparently hates Ryan for zero good reason is silly. But it’s a moot point because we don’t have Schlemko anymore. Let’s all move on.

No!

This is my hill and I am dying on it!

/s

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
It's middle of December and you guys are still arguing about Schlemko. DW needs to hurry up and make a trade if only so that you'll have something else to talk about. Move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad