Prospect Info: Sharks prospects info/discussion thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'd really like to see Hertl moved to center as well and if that happens there could be two top 9 spots open, one pretty much tailor made for Meier.

Otherwise, I only see one spot available unless they move out a top 9 forward or injuries hit before the season starts.

XX-Jumbo-Pavs
Marleau-Couture-Donskoi
Meier-Hertl-Goldobin
Who Cares #1 - Tierney - Who Cares #2

Meier-Hertl-Goldobin would make for a fun 3rd line .. :) I know it will have 2 rookies on the 3rd line but line has so much potential.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I see it a bit differently...a lot is going to depend on how the org views Hertl going forward.

My guess is, assuming Marleau is still in SJ, there will be 1 spot open in the top 9 that Sorensen, Meier & Goldobin will be fighting for. I don't see either Meier or Goldobin being given a spot on the 4th line even with the way DeBoer runs his forwards.

It's possible there will be 2 spots in the top 9 open but from what I've watched of Meier (and it's been a lot) he'd benefit from starting the season in the AHL. If he forces the coaches hand, great but I don't expect that to happen right away.

I agree, I don't see any reason to put Goldobin on Meier on the 4th line. Obviously it's gonna be hard to predict, and like you and Jux said, I would prefer Hertl move to the middle. I mean, if Meier can play with the Joes, and then having a third line with Hertl in the middle playing with any combination of Marleau, Ward, Donskoi, and Goldobin, well, that's very exciting.

Flididdle

Sep 24, 2015
Meier does have a great skill set that I haven't really seen in a Sharks player. He has the physicality of Clowe, but is mobile -moved prety quick last game- with a quick release like Marleau but is like Heatley -Sharks Heatley- in going to dirty spots and also puck moving ability. Someone said a classic Western Conference power forward during the broadcast, sound way of looking at things.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'd have to imagine that they're gonna go with Hertl as a center in the long term. We don't exactly have any other centers with solid potential other than Chartier. Maybe they plan to move Pavelski back to center when Thornton starts to decline? I dunno.

Ward-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Donskoi
Meier-Hertl-Goldobin
Nieto-Tierney-Karlsson

That would be a fun line up if the young europeans could work together.

More realistically, just switch Meier and Ward and that's a still pretty well balanced line up with the a solid forechecker and offensive duo on each line.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Meier-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Donskoi
Goldobin-Hertl-Ward
Nieto/Karlsson/Spaling-Tierney-Wingels/Karlsson/Spaling

If Goldobin and Meier could play NHL top-9 minutes next year, this would be pretty awesome. Not sure either one will be ready for that though.

However they do it, it would be cool for sure. But I think they may keep Meier down for a year. Goldobin, I think they'll look to bring him up. He showed flashes in his 9 games. I remember a 5-2 (?) loss to Chicago at SAP Center where Goldobin was playing, and he impressed me, and I thought he was maybe even the best player on the ice for San Jose. (All I remember for sure about that game is that we lost and Burns scored on a one-timer, and that's cause some kid in the crowd was shouting "Burnzie one-timer! Before he scored it) He looked ready.

Ultimately though, in the playoffs, you want guys who are responsible defensively and can PK in your bottom-6, and have experience. Rookies like Donskoi or Fabbri still impress because these guys are responsible defensively. Obviously Goldobin doesn't fit the bill but I think if the injury bug had hit us a little harder early in the season, he could have came up and stuck in the NHL. He's got a ton of talent, he's just poor defensively.

I'm not going to front like I've ever watched Meier outside of highlights but I could see DW going the Hertl/Mueller route with Meier and opening up a spot specifically for him

Last edited:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Depends on who you consider to be top-9. Thornton, Pavelski, Couture, Marleau, Hertl, Donskoi, and Ward are locked into top-9 spots. Guys like Tierney, Wingels, Nieto, and Karlsson have played top-9 and aren't out of place on a third line, but I would hesitate to call them top-9 in an ideal world. I really strongly believe Goldobin should be on the big team to start next season.

One of Wingels or Karlsson is gone, likely to recoup 2nd/3rd round picks. Seems to me there is room tone made for Meier if DW wants there to be.

If Hertl stays at #1LW I think Tierney is a lock for 3C because there's really no one else that can play there (I'm not a fan of Marleau at C & DeBoer is a big fan of Tierney). So that leaves:
Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
??-Couture-Donskoi
??-Tierney??

Ward & Marleau will take two of those spots.

I'm guessing one of Wingels or Karlsson could be moved as well.

There is room that can be made, like Marleau at 3C, if DW wants Meier in the NHL but my hope is that since they have actual good depth now that they'll go back to bringing their prospects along a bit more deliberately.

Meier isn't in the same boat as Hertl or Donskoi as both had played vs pros before coming to the NHL. I know I don't have to tell you but the jump from playing against guys in the Q and guys in the NHL is really big.

Edit: I think Goldobin should be on the big club next season. He was very good in the 2nd of the Cuda season and I don't know how much more he can get out of playing there. Better players around him and especially better coaching will help push him to continue to improve.

Last edited:

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Barring him blowing the coaches away in camp, I don't think Meier will make the NHL to start with. He may get his 9 game cup of coffee, but I think they're likely to handle him like they handled Goldobin this year. I also think that the 1st line is way too dominant as they are now to break them up unless you have an incredibly good reason. Barring any trades, I suspect that the lines next year are going to look something like this: (I am assuming here we re-sign Spaling, as he's been a completely serviceable 4th liner, and DeBoer likes him)

Hertl - Thornton - Pavelski
Goldobin - Couture - Donskoi
Marleau - Tierney - Ward
Karlsson/Nieto - Spaling - Wingels

I suspect Nieto would get the nod over Karlsson to start the season, with Karlsson being the 13th forward. Putting Marleau on Tierney's wing gives that line some potential scoring punch, and Tierney is pretty good at dishing the puck. Oh, and I REALLY like the possibilities of that 2nd line.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeaaahhhhh tbh nobody ever breaks up the best line in the NHL unless it's for money reasons and there are plenty of ways for them to clear out salary for Hertl's new contract if he's asking for something crazy. That line has been the best in the NHL for the second half of the season and the playoffs.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Barring him blowing the coaches away in camp, I don't think Meier will make the NHL to start with. He may get his 9 game cup of coffee, but I think they're likely to handle him like they handled Goldobin this year. I also think that the 1st line is way too dominant as they are now to break them up unless you have an incredibly good reason. Barring any trades, I suspect that the lines next year are going to look something like this: (I am assuming here we re-sign Spaling, as he's been a completely serviceable 4th liner, and DeBoer likes him)

Hertl - Thornton - Pavelski
Goldobin - Couture - Donskoi
Marleau - Tierney - Ward
Karlsson/Nieto - Spaling - Wingels

I suspect Nieto would get the nod over Karlsson to start the season, with Karlsson being the 13th forward. Putting Marleau on Tierney's wing gives that line some potential scoring punch, and Tierney is pretty good at dishing the puck. Oh, and I REALLY like the possibilities of that 2nd line.
Nailed it. I agree with the post and lineup construction, sans maybe Spaling possibly not being on the team. Think it's still up in the air if he gets a contract are not. Can't say he brings to much more to the table then Nieto/Karlsson, and the team can probably get by with Wingels as the 4th line center.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Meier-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Donskoi
Goldobin-Hertl-Ward
Nieto/Karlsson/Spaling-Tierney-Wingels/Karlsson/Spaling

If Goldobin and Meier could play NHL top-9 minutes next year, this would be pretty awesome. Not sure either one will be ready for that though.

If they insist on moving Hertl back to 3C, then this is what I'd go with. Meier would be a great fit with the Joe's. I don't think it's right to keep Tierney at 4C for much longer though. Even though Deboer loves to roll all 4 lines, Tierney is clearly deserving of a bigger role.

Too bad we can't give Meier some seasoning with the Cuda but I believe he'd have to go back to juniors next year. I may be mistaken though

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
If they insist on moving Hertl back to 3C, then this is what I'd go with. Meier would be a great fit with the Joe's. I don't think it's right to keep Tierney at 4C for much longer though. Even though Deboer loves to roll all 4 lines, Tierney is clearly deserving of a bigger role.

Too bad we can't give Meier some seasoning with the Cuda but I believe he'd have to go back to juniors next year. I may be mistaken though

As far as I know, he can play in the AHL next year. Agreed on Tierney. I think he's our #3C going forward, as he's earned it. I really do think we re-sign Spaling to be our #4C. He's done everything you can ask of a 4th line center, he shouldn't be expensive, and he and DeBoer clearly have a good relationship. Like I said too, I suspect we trade one of Karlsson/Nieto/Wingels, both to clear up space and to clear up cap.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Meier's actually old enough to be in the AHL next year.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I like the idea of giving Meier a half a season in the AHL to get used to playing against professional men and then, assuming he has success, moving him up to the NHL. I'm just really giddy thinking about how much skill we could ice.

If Hertl stays at #1LW I think Tierney is a lock for 3C because there's really no one else that can play there (I'm not a fan of Marleau at C & DeBoer is a big fan of Tierney). So that leaves:
Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
??-Couture-Donskoi
??-Tierney??

Ward & Marleau will take two of those spots.

I'm guessing one of Wingels or Karlsson could be moved as well.

There is room that can be made, like Marleau at 3C, if DW wants Meier in the NHL but my hope is that since they have actual good depth now that they'll go back to bringing their prospects along a bit more deliberately.

Meier isn't in the same boat as Hertl or Donskoi as both had played vs pros before coming to the NHL. I know I don't have to tell you but the jump from playing against guys in the Q and guys in the NHL is really big.

Edit: I think Goldobin should be on the big club next season. He was very good in the 2nd of the Cuda season and I don't know how much more he can get out of playing there. Better players around him and especially better coaching will help push him to continue to improve.

I've been favorably impressed with Tierney so far in the third round, when I thought he would be a weak point, so hopefully that's part of him taking the next step into becoming a strong, or at least passable, possession forward.

I totally get that the jump from the Q to the NHL is significant, and I know that Meier isn't nearly as good a prospect as him, but you have to look at how well Nik Ehlers adjusted to the NHL despite being younger this year than Meier will be next year and being significantly weaker, smaller, and on a much worse team.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
As far as I know, he can play in the AHL next year. Agreed on Tierney. I think he's our #3C going forward, as he's earned it. I really do think we re-sign Spaling to be our #4C. He's done everything you can ask of a 4th line center, he shouldn't be expensive, and he and DeBoer clearly have a good relationship. Like I said too, I suspect we trade one of Karlsson/Nieto/Wingels, both to clear up space and to clear up cap.

That's actually a good idea on Spaling. If Tierney is 3C, we should definitely keep Spaling. As you said he'd be cheap and he's a decent PKer for a 4th liner. If we're not tight against the cap, I think we should keep Karlsson/Nieto/Wingels for expansion draft purposes. We can expose them will keeping our top 9. They won't fetch much in a trade with the expansion draft looming

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
2nd unit
Goldobin-Hertl-Donskoi
Heed-Meier

:sarcasm:

Gotta say, that's pretty sexy even without the :sarcasm: but I see no reason to take Ward off the #2 PP unit. He's scored quite a few big PP goals.

That's actually a good idea on Spaling. If Tierney is 3C, we should definitely keep Spaling. As you said he'd be cheap and he's a decent PKer for a 4th liner. If we're not tight against the cap, I think we should keep Karlsson/Nieto/Wingels for expansion draft purposes. We can expose them will keeping our top 9. They won't fetch much in a trade with the expansion draft looming

There is zero reason to sign Spaling. He hasn't been as bad as I suspected he'd be, but he'll want more money than he's worth. Better to get someone at league minimum.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I thought Meier did enough to make the team this last camp. Had we not had the best depth we've ever had we might've seen him make the jump. Or maybe it wouldn't have mattered how well he did this year.

I expect he gets a look with the club next year.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
I like the idea of giving Meier a half a season in the AHL to get used to playing against professional men and then, assuming he has success, moving him up to the NHL. I'm just really giddy thinking about how much skill we could ice. .

It's a huge advantage for his development to have him play regular minutes against men. I think he'll adjust very well because of his size and physicality. He's a beast for a junior age player, I'm sure he'll get even bigger by next training camp

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
There is zero reason to sign Spaling. He hasn't been as bad as I suspected he'd be, but he'll want more money than he's worth. Better to get someone at league minimum.

If he wants more than 1-1.2 for more than 1 year I'd let him walk. He's an average 4th liner, who Deboer trust but doesn't overuse.

Last edited:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I like the idea of giving Meier a half a season in the AHL to get used to playing against professional men and then, assuming he has success, moving him up to the NHL. I'm just really giddy thinking about how much skill we could ice.

I've been favorably impressed with Tierney so far in the third round, when I thought he would be a weak point, so hopefully that's part of him taking the next step into becoming a strong, or at least passable, possession forward.

I totally get that the jump from the Q to the NHL is significant, and I know that Meier isn't nearly as good a prospect as him, but you have to look at how well Nik Ehlers adjusted to the NHL despite being younger this year than Meier will be next year and being significantly weaker, smaller, and on a much worse team.

Ya, Tierney had struggled with possession quite a bit up until the series against the Blues, hopefully he'll continue to improve there.

I know Ehlers made the jump, but he's and elite skater and plays such a high paced game and he also struggled for the first 20ish games, I'd imagine the Jets would have liked to have let him play some in the AHL.

It's entirely possible that Meier can make the jump too but this isn't a NHL or back to the Q thing and the Cuda will have good players next year and Meier will be given top line, top PP and PK minutes there.

If Meier forces the coaches hands, great! I just hope that they make him earn it rather than just hand him a spot.

As much as I think Thornton's LW is a great fit for Meier I think Tierney's wing would be a great fit for Goldobin.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Ah rookie forwards playing defense. If it ain't gonna work, at least it'll be entertaining.

Heed is a defenseman. I would enjoy watching him and Meier blasting one timers from the points.

Gotta say, that's pretty sexy even without the :sarcasm: but I see no reason to take Ward off the #2 PP unit. He's scored quite a few big PP goals.

I know that Ward probably won't come off the PP for next year, but if Meier and Goldobin are both on the team, it would be wasteful not to give them pp time. Hell, if only Goldobin makes the team, and he doesn't get pp time, that seems like a waste of his ability. Tough decisions for the coaching staff, but nice to have those problems.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Ya, Tierney had struggled with possession quite a bit up until the series against the Blues, hopefully he'll continue to improve there.

I know Ehlers made the jump, but he's and elite skater and plays such a high paced game and he also struggled for the first 20ish games, I'd imagine the Jets would have liked to have let him play some in the AHL.

It's entirely possible that Meier can make the jump too but this isn't a NHL or back to the Q thing and the Cuda will have good players next year and Meier will be given top line, top PP and PK minutes there.

If Meier forces the coaches hands, great! I just hope that they make him earn it rather than just hand him a spot.

As much as I think Thornton's LW is a great fit for Meier I think Tierney's wing would be a great fit for Goldobin.

I don't think there's any way or reason to just pencil Meier or Goldobin for that matter. Both need to earn it. Sharks are looking like they'll be in better shape next season.

What a nutter it'd be if they win the Cup this season and on paper, are even better for next season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad